Talk

Advanced search

To think clothes shouldn't be made from plastic?

(41 Posts)
QuestionableMouse Thu 28-May-20 00:00:15

www.evans.co.uk/en/evuk/product/clothing-7810902/kimonos-coverups-3717251/red-floral-print-patchwork-kimono-9723384

100% Polyethylene.

Aibu to think it isn't right?

OP’s posts: |
thenightsky Thu 28-May-20 00:04:40

I don't know what Polyethylene even is! I'll ask DD as she is a garment technologist, but I don't think I'll get an answer at this time of night.

NotMeNoNo Thu 28-May-20 00:07:46

Suspect a typo for polyester. Polyethylene fabric is like tarpaulins and stuff I think.

QuestionableMouse Thu 28-May-20 00:08:53

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene

I'm assuming it's essentially polyester. Still ewww though.

MrsEricBana Thu 28-May-20 00:09:13

Polyethylene = polyester. So it's synthetic like loads of clothes, not a silk kimono. This, like plastic, is made from petrochemicals.

NotMeNoNo Thu 28-May-20 00:09:58

Yeah they have a vest in the same print marked Polyester. Which is also plastic, of course.

thenightsky Thu 28-May-20 00:10:10

As predicted, DD hasn't replied to my message. I'll let you know what she says tomorrow.

MrsEricBana Thu 28-May-20 00:11:24

Fleeces are also, essentially, plastic in that they made from lightly spun polyester threads.

Destroyedpeople Thu 28-May-20 00:12:55

Was going to mention fleece material. Isn't that plastic? Certainly it melts..

womaninatightspot Thu 28-May-20 00:16:29

I suppose an upside of the lack of oil demand due to covid 19 will be that plastics are more expensive. Maybe we'll get lots of lovely cotton clothes next season.

NotMeNoNo Thu 28-May-20 00:17:29

"Plastic" encompasses many polymers quite a few of which are used for textiles/clothes. This time last year we were all concerned about synthetic clothes and microfibres washing out of them.

Blackbear19 Thu 28-May-20 00:21:39

YANBU its incredibly bad for the environment. Produces tons and tons of micro plastics that come off in the washing machine and end up in the oceans.

Then they must take decades to breakdown when they eventually end up in landfill (yeah, yeah via the charity shop worn to death, back to the charity rag big, used and binned as an oiled rag).

But at the same time man made, oil based fabrics are used in a lot of technical and outdoor clothing. So have a real advantage over natural fabrics. However I believe for everyday clothing we should be using natural fabrics.

Oh and womens clothes are worse for sneeking in plastics than men's.

TheHighestSardine Thu 28-May-20 00:25:51

Viscose. Plastic.
Nylon. Plastic. Hard to do without tights.
Polyester. Plastic.
Fake leather. Plastic.
Fake fur. Plastic.
Rayon. Organza. Taffeta. Fleece. Elastic. Waterproof membranes. Thread. Zips and buttons and velcro and reinforcing tape and interfacing and padding and and and...

Most clothing is partly plastic. Some is wholly plastic. They're not intrinsically bad, and can be lovely - I've had viscose shirts and dresses that feel like silk.

Blackbear19 Thu 28-May-20 00:32:48

Is Viscose not made from bamboo ?

QuestionableMouse Thu 28-May-20 00:34:43

Viscose is made from cellulose which can come from a range of sources. Not plastic though.

NotMeNoNo Thu 28-May-20 08:13:01

If we don't wear synthetics we are left withw cotton (high water demand) wool ( those sheep belch methane) , silk (boiled bugs). Linen/hemp not suitable for everything.

There's almost no fibre or material without a significant environmental cost somewhere in its life cycle, the only solution is to massively scale back new clothes and throwaway fashion and get much more use out of what we have or selectively buy.

Sorry bit of a hijack!

KittenVsBox Thu 28-May-20 08:31:34

Rayon is also from natural cellulose, along with viscose.

donquixotedelamancha Thu 28-May-20 08:50:39

If we don't wear synthetics we are left withw cotton (high water demand) wool ( those sheep belch methane) , silk (boiled bugs). Linen/hemp not suitable for everything.

This. If we did not use synthetic fabric the cost of clothes would be massively higher for little environmental benefit.

I can't see why oil products are bad in clothes but not the millions of other applications we use every day.

Most modern materials are based on polymers. Without them everything would be wood, metal, ceramic, stone or the fabrics listed above.

HeyDuggeewhatchadoin Thu 28-May-20 08:54:52

Rayon can be made from bamboo.

redwoodmazza Thu 28-May-20 09:33:57

Silk is made from the threads of the silkworm - not the silkworm itself!!!

QuestionableMouse Thu 28-May-20 11:20:53

It's a personal thing but my skin reacts quite badly to polyester and nylon. I but decent natural fibre clothes and look after them so they last. Its getting harder to find nice stuff though.

Nottherealslimshady Thu 28-May-20 11:25:26

I'd have thought it's a good material. It's a side product of fuel production. Surely they'll be long lasting so we can keep them longer. It's a better use than carrier bags. I'd rather wear plastic than leather, fur, wool, silk.

SerenDippitty Thu 28-May-20 11:32:39

I’ve seen clothes made from recycled plastic bottles. Good idea in theory, not in practice as plastic microfibres come off them in the wash and end up in the sea.

SpiderPlantSally Thu 28-May-20 11:36:14

What do you think acrylic, polyester, and fleece fabric is made of? Check the labels - I bet almost all your clothes have some element of plastic in them. My DD's school blazer has a label inside which says "Made from recycled plastic bottles"!
It's pretty hard to find pure cotton / wool clothes these days unless you're willing to spend a pretty penny!

Northernsoullover Thu 28-May-20 11:39:56

It is hard to find natural fibres and they come with their own environmental cost. However, I think we all need to think about how much clothing we buy.
Fast fashion is the biggest culprit..where are all those peplum tops now? Cold shoulder tops? Think before you buy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »