Talk

Advanced search

Consumer rights help!

(3 Posts)
Bitlady Wed 27-May-20 21:03:07

I’ve posted this in legal matters but I’m posting for traffic as I’m hoping to deal with this tomorrow!

I’m hoping to get some advice as I’m getting nowhere with the company I purchased from!

I bought a tumble dryer 5 months ago. Brand new, known brand but from a 3rd party retailer.

It has totally stopped working, despite checking all the filters etc. An error code just keeps flashing.

I contacted the company directly who told me it is not their concern, I need to contact the manufacturer. I replied, reminding them that in line with The Consumer Rights act our contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

They then replied, stating that I was quite right (it actually states on their website that they won’t help with faulty items, you must go to manufacturer!) but as they would need to send an engineer to look at the fault and they are not able to because of Covid 19 they are unable to do anything. (Having looked online, the manufacturer’s are sending engineers but I would need to book directly to answer Covid questions.)

Before getting back to them I wanted to check: am I able to request a replacement/refund without an engineer coming as it has been under 6 months? I’m concerned about something breaking so quickly and to be honest, their attitude has made me wary of dealing with them in the future if it breaks again without having the protection that it’s under 6 months. (I’ve just been looking at trustpilot and it seems they have poor form for customer service when things go wrong.)

I hope I’ve covered everything!

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
IchWill Wed 27-May-20 21:50:27

The law says you are entitled to a refund within six months if repair, or replacement not available.

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

I think if they can't send an engineer, then you're within your rights to pursue a refund or exchange with RETAILER.

What's the company? I had murder with Littlewoods over a washing machine. It went back and forth for months, neither side backing down. So I contacted the CEO and it was sorted in a week.

If you tell me the company, I can and find the CEO details for you.

Bitlady Wed 27-May-20 21:58:55

Thanks so much for replying. I’m a bit worried after reading the reviews, it sounds like they just wash their hands after the sale.

The company is Marks Electrical. I’ve never heard of them before, my husband ordered it. Wishing he’d stuck to a more well known brand now (although I suppose that doesn’t guarantee good customer service as you found with little woods!)

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »