Talk

Advanced search

To be surprised to see a beach brawl in Kent?

(156 Posts)
StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 09:06:48

Just seem it on the DM online ( I know I know) - I'm just surprised during these times of social distancing etc that this happened.
I've lived in Kent and can confirm we are all respectable, RP speaking, home counties residing respectable pillars of the community...

OP’s posts: |
squashyhat Tue 26-May-20 09:18:59

Why should some people in Kent be any less chavvy than anywhere else? Have you heard of the Medway towns?

Kirschcherry Tue 26-May-20 09:19:49

🤣🤣🤣 One favourite Kent memory is of the time I saw a woman taking her children swimming in a public leisure pool while wearing a leopard print corset and thong instead of a swimming costume. I’m sure they were heading straight off for tea with the vicar after.

StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 09:24:23

squashyhat - Heard of them? I used to frequent them quite often. I'm gutted that Dickens World in Chatham closed down - I was speaking about that yesterday to someone. It was an excellent tourist attraction. More interesting and interactional (for kids) and more educational than a theme park Sigh

StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 09:25:22

should say above more interesting than a museum and sigh was a bold fail!!

StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 09:26:16

Kirschcherry - and no doubt after that off to the opera or the 'ball - lay

OneNewName Tue 26-May-20 13:54:07

Interactional?

Smilethoyourheartisbreaking Tue 26-May-20 13:56:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AriettyHomily Tue 26-May-20 13:57:31

Margate by any chance?

StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 13:58:46

OneNewName - couldn't think of the right word!! grin - I think 'hands on' is a better description.

Smilethoyourheartisbreaking - Chaversam is also in Kent grin
Only joking - I love Faversham and would love to be able to afford a place there - heard someone else call it this once

Destroyedpeople Tue 26-May-20 13:59:17

Really unsurprised. Quite a lot of people from Kent round our way. We used to just call them 'kents' because that was how they acted.

pilates Tue 26-May-20 14:00:36

No not really, the heat brings out crankiness in some people.

Mucklowe Tue 26-May-20 14:01:25

Kent is full of absolute violent knuckleheads.

StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 14:01:39

Destroyedpeople - I used to live in Kent and I think people somehow knew this as they used to whisper the name of my old county in hushed tones when I walked past them grin

MsScarlettOHara Tue 26-May-20 14:02:15

Ramsgate has some of the scummiest people Ive ever encountered. Certainly not the soap box seaside town they would like to portray it as.

Destroyedpeople Tue 26-May-20 14:02:34

grin Stirling you just made me laugh out loud..

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 26-May-20 14:02:37

Thanet... that bastion of middle-classness. My autocorrect was desperate to make that ‘classless’ grin.

Though, in fairness, Broadstairs is normally perceived as the posh part of Thanet. And we won’t even mention Brexit or Nigel Farage.

StirlingWork Tue 26-May-20 14:05:58

MsScarlettOHara - I've always thought that Ramsgate is better than Margate

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 26-May-20 14:06:03

Wasn’t it Top Boy that had Ramsgate shown as EDL heartland? My eldest has told all her university friends with great glee that her school was 100 metres from where that was filmed.

Alarae Tue 26-May-20 14:06:14

I grew up in Thanet, where the brawl was.

There is a reason it's known as Thanghetto. Sure there are nice parts, but there is a large portion of absolute twats that live there that makes this story completely not surprising.

Have you also seen the video of the naked man running around Ramsgate Harbour?

nannapat58 Tue 26-May-20 14:07:55

It was Broadstairs

viques Tue 26-May-20 14:09:19

Clutches pearls and shudders discreetly.

Thank heavens for Whitstable.

CallmeAngelina Tue 26-May-20 14:10:16

How do we know that the brawl was between locals and not visitors?

onesmalldog Tue 26-May-20 14:11:12

I would certainly have had a stern word and told them how naughty they were being for not social distancing! NOT.

mumofpickles Tue 26-May-20 14:15:24

Clearly you have ever been to Dover OP! Many of the old sea side resorts are now less than desirable Folkestone has tried to rejuvenate but still has real problems along with Margate and the other towns mentioned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »