Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you use to stop yourself being bitten to death?

(82 Posts)
HappySonHappyMum Mon 25-May-20 21:37:59

Every year I get bitten or stung by horrible little flying insects. I'm determined this year to find something that stops my wrists and ankles being bitten to death. They swell, they get infected - bugs just love me. Does anyone have something or do something that really works they could tell me about?

OP’s posts: |
Hopeisnotastrategy Mon 25-May-20 21:40:29

It may help if you say where you are and what is biting you.

SewingWarriorQueen76 Mon 25-May-20 21:42:37

I just take Piriton so I can't feel it. They love me, bites are usually size of 50p pieces

Mylittlepony374 Mon 25-May-20 21:42:50

I don't get bitten. My husband however gets eaten alive. He finds taking Vitamin B supplements help. No idea why.

justforthecake Mon 25-May-20 21:43:12

Jungle formula

TheHumansAreDefinitelyDead Mon 25-May-20 21:44:16

Midges? Scotland?

Avon Skin so soft, spray, they hate it

Sewingbea Mon 25-May-20 21:44:34

I usually get bitten to bits but since I've used Avon's Skin So Soft spray I've not been bitten. Google it smile

SpeedofaSloth Mon 25-May-20 21:44:38

Watching with interest, I have never found anything really effective and it does stop me doing things TBH.

SpeedofaSloth Mon 25-May-20 21:45:13

Any Skin So Soft, is that?

goose1964 Mon 25-May-20 21:45:16

I find that I don't get bitten when I take my hayfever tablets, in the past I've tried brewers yeast , vitamin b source, by it did nothing . The best otc is jungle formula

WinterAndRoughWeather Mon 25-May-20 21:46:38

Vitamin B is supposed to help, apparently even in the form of marmite. I eat marmite most days just in case this is true, because I get bitten to shit every summer.

Antihistamines help with the itching.

TyneTeas Mon 25-May-20 21:47:54

Smidge. It is amazing

www.smidgeup.com/

HappySonHappyMum Mon 25-May-20 21:48:09

Sorry - I'm in London - the bugs are not choosy every flying insect going seems to like a nibble!

HappySonHappyMum Mon 25-May-20 21:49:18

Tried the skin so soft - they still bite and I am a huge marmite fan, have it for my breakfast every morning but they still bite :0(

Moondust001 Mon 25-May-20 21:49:24

I find that I don't get bitten when I take my hayfever tablets
If you are a magnet, hayfever tablets don't stop them biting. The antihistamine stops the reaction to the bite. This'll work nicely provided that you don't get bitten across long periods of time. If you do you should consult a doctor before taking antihistamine for lengthy periods of time. It's fine for some people, but it can have nasty reactions and complications for some.

sunshineandskyscrapers Mon 25-May-20 21:49:29

I've found just cheap one-a-day hay fever tablets to be effective. I don't think they stop the biting but the reaction will be much less.

Beetle76 Mon 25-May-20 21:50:12

One a day hay fever tablets. I think if I’m getting a regular whack of antihistamines, I don’t get the associated cluster of itchy lumps and bumps which makes the whole experience much less noticeable and annoying. Also trying a thermocell repellent just in case as I’m living in a new area with loads of biting bugs apparently.

ICouldHaveBeenAContender Mon 25-May-20 21:52:39

SMIDGE! Link upthread.

Lifelong midge magnet living in the middle of midge-shire. SMIDGE actually works.

Fluffybutter Mon 25-May-20 21:52:58

Dd and I are bitten from about March to October , so fucking annoying !
Best stuff I’ve found is OFF but my dh got it in Manila .
Second best is Mosi-guard natural which you can get on amazon

ICouldHaveBeenAContender Mon 25-May-20 21:54:26

I thought the formulation of Skin So Soft had changed? Ie, no longer as effective? Avon never made the claims for it anyway.

Eggnoggoanngoanngoann Mon 25-May-20 21:59:10

Antihistamine wipes. As well as the tablets.

MartiniDry Mon 25-May-20 22:01:34

Jungle Formula from most chemists or large supermarkets.
It's a fantastic deterrent, I can't recommend it enough.
If you're going anywhere especially mosquito bound remember to sprayed in your hair so that your scalp doesn't get bitten and to spray areas such as ankles, lower legs and feet if there's a chance of mozzies getting to them.

Chochito Mon 25-May-20 22:05:00

Nets ovet windows at home and not going near water at dusk / night. I react really badly to mosquito bites and these two measures have completely ended the misery. There is a roll on that's very good at drying out any bites quickly (and stopping itching), I can't quite remember the name but if you ask a pharmacist for the roll on mosquito bite relief they will surely have it. The packaging is white with an orangey red label around it.

Kaydogsdinner Mon 25-May-20 22:08:03

Mosquito repellant patches

parietal Mon 25-May-20 22:10:37

look for a insect repellent with DEET as the active ingredient. It was developed by the US army to get their soldiers through mosquito ridden swamps and it really works.

And if you do get bitten, then Anthisan or another cream with Mepryamine Maleate as the active ingredient is best to stop the itching.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »