Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to prefer Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers dancing to twerking, lol

(82 Posts)
WeWantSweet Mon 25-May-20 20:27:32

Different times and mores I know with both positive and negative aspects but BBC2 have been showing their old films and the elegance and floaty dress fabulousness is something to aspire to I think..

OP’s posts: |
BMW6 Mon 25-May-20 20:30:56

YANBU. Twerking isn't skilfull (anyone with any large arse can do it).

Griefmonster Mon 25-May-20 20:33:27

Very different styles of dance. And you can't be unaware that they are not really reflecting different times but different music, culture and purposes. I feel very uncomfortable with outrage at twerking. Smacks of cultural imperialism, elitism and quite frankly racism (structural if not personal). But I think you know that.

Griefmonster Mon 25-May-20 20:34:43

Would like to see you try @BMW6BMW6 (i really wouldn't)

Kerravon34 Mon 25-May-20 20:35:19

Me too. I’ve just watched those films xx

NeutrinoWrangler Mon 25-May-20 20:40:26

YANBU.

NowSissyThatWalk Mon 25-May-20 20:47:33

Very different styles of dance. And you can't be unaware that they are not really reflecting different times but different music, culture and purposes. I feel very uncomfortable with outrage at twerking. Smacks of cultural imperialism, elitism and quite frankly racism

This star

WeWantSweet Mon 25-May-20 20:53:44

Er, I'm not outraged at twerking I just thought it seemed to represent the complete opposite of Fred & Ginger dancing. Elegance is colour blind surely?

OP’s posts: |
Griefmonster Mon 25-May-20 21:19:33

Cultural perceptions or opinions on what defines "elegance" are very much not "colour-blind". @WeWantSweet you can prefer whatever dance style you want to obviously. But saying that one type of dance is more aspirational than another is a deeply loaded statement.

Griefmonster Mon 25-May-20 21:21:43

(if you can't see that but would like to learn more as to why, then that's great. I'm happy to discuss. If you can't see it and don't want to see it then.....buh bye. I'll leave you to it)

KilljoysDutch Mon 25-May-20 21:25:42

Omg you're so quirky and different lol.

Seriously though everything @Griefmonster said. It's strange how the comparison of how good something is tends to have BAME culture on the negative end.

DDemelza Mon 25-May-20 21:25:53

I vastly prefer ballet to all other forms of dance. It's neither reasonable nor unreasonable. It's simply personal preference.

WelcomeToGreenvale Mon 25-May-20 21:41:28

Fine if you mean just "twerking", but twerking isn't the entirety of modern dance. I like the old school dancing too but some of the things modern dancers are accomplishing is astonishing.

blacksax Mon 25-May-20 21:53:18

Twerking looks like someone imitating having sex while standing up.

Hardly the result of years of professional dance training is it?

Macncheeseballs Mon 25-May-20 21:56:57

Twerking is difficult

Griefmonster Mon 25-May-20 22:04:12

@blacksax hardly....
youtu.be/fgSOPq_XWcI

lifestooshort123 Mon 25-May-20 22:07:21

Ginger Rogers' dresses were amazing, so elegant.

MitziK Mon 25-May-20 22:31:04

More of a Gene Kelly fan myself.

he was a right looker, too

LemonSqueezy0 Mon 25-May-20 22:33:18

"Different times and mores I know"

Is the word mores a typo, OP? What word was it supposed to be?

Everyone can, and will have a preference, but I think you have a great opportunity here to broaden your horizons and soak up some knowledge on the cultural history and relevance of twerking. You being so dismissive of it demonstrates a real lack of understanding and intelligence around cultural dance and the stories within.

DDemelza Mon 25-May-20 22:33:54

Mores means customs.

FOJN Mon 25-May-20 22:41:46

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mores]]

I prefer ballroom latin, does that make me guilty of some kind of bigotry?

LemonSqueezy0 Mon 25-May-20 22:54:47

If the title hadn't referenced the comparison to twerking, it would have been a chat about fred and ginger, and the lovely old costumes. The mention and then dismissive attitude towards twerking is unnecessary and serves no useful purpose in this discussion on Fred and Ginger. So I wonder why it was mentioned... hmm

Griefmonster Mon 25-May-20 23:11:55

@MitziK - I love Gene Kelly too! (And indeed love Fred and Ginger). All of these amazing dancers are/were influenced by others and experimented with different genres (Gene Kelly being a brilliant example of this).

I love dance in general and am in awe of the physical, creative, expressive, emotional discipline and skill all styles take. It's not about liking a type of dance making you a bigot @FOJN. Of course it's not.
@LemonSqueezy0 has nailed it.
OP - why not start a new thread about how wonderful Fred and Ginger are full stop?

SharonasCorona Mon 25-May-20 23:17:09

biscuit

Troels Mon 25-May-20 23:17:44

Fred and Ginger any day. Or Cyd Charisse, So elegant. I'd watch them anyday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »