Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to break as many toes as me?

(22 Posts)
Denver49 Mon 25-May-20 16:35:26

Recently I broke my pinky toe, and previous toe that ive broken all of my toes at least once, and two or three twice. Is that normal

OP’s posts: |
Thecruxxofitis Mon 25-May-20 16:36:56

No!! What on earth are you doing to break toes?! I’ve not even broken one bone in my life let alone every toe!

Aquamarine1029 Mon 25-May-20 16:38:00

That's a lot of broken toes. I suppose depending on what you do for a living, what sport you might play, it could be normalish, but for the average person, I wouldn't say it's normal. How have these breaks happened?

Purpleartichoke Mon 25-May-20 16:41:22

I have broken toes many times. Also cut myself, broken fingers, etc. I am ridiculously uncoordinated. It was really bad when I lived in a very tiny bungalow. Now I have a bigger house and my husband generally does the particular chores I used to injure myself doing.

dudsville Mon 25-May-20 17:12:24

I've never broken any toes, you poor thing. Do you need to wear DM type shoes all the time to keep your toes safe?

RiverRide Mon 25-May-20 17:21:28

Have you considered going to your doctor about it? It may be that your bones are more brittle than normal, at which point there are medications that can help

Imissrealcoffee Mon 25-May-20 17:31:04

I’m the same OP, constantly breaking toes. I’ve managed to do both my big toes during quarantine, one from trying to be mindful of the other one grin I’m very clumsy so most of the breaks have been from stubbing my toes or falling over doorways. Unless it’s impacting your life dramatically just keep trying to watch where your going to reduce the amount your breaking them.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 25-May-20 17:33:04

DH has broken all of his and two of them twice. He’s also broken 3 ribs. I’ve got him taking calcium now!

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Mon 25-May-20 17:33:33

I've never had anything broken.

I don't think it's normal to have so many fructuresshock

RedKite1 Mon 25-May-20 17:40:35

Poor you, broken toes get little sympathy unfortunately, some people even find it funny. I’ve broken 3 (separate occasions), in my twenties, combination of liking to go barefoot and striding out in a gung ho fashion. I am more careful now. Try looking at your footwear, maybe try doc martens etc. flowers

justhereforthetips Mon 25-May-20 17:42:03

Doesn't sound normal. When you've been at the hospital have they never mentioned your fracture history?

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 25-May-20 17:42:10

Common? No. Normal, depends on circumstances. My DD has broken some more than once too, and broken small bones in feet and hands. Primarily due to having been competing in gymnastics, trampolining and horse riding for years. So in her case, not entirely surprising. Breaking toes during normal walking, no accidents etc, probably a bit odd.

labazsisgoingmad Mon 25-May-20 17:43:04

ive broken every toe and finger im afraid

Geekster1963 Mon 25-May-20 17:44:22

I’ve never broken anything luckily, I can imagine all those broken toes over the years must have been painful.

Sn0tnose Mon 25-May-20 17:46:10

Yes. It’s normally caused by me falling down stairs or catching a toe in my trouser leg (I’m really clumsy). I still can’t really bend my big toe from a slip down the stairs two years ago as we were leaving for a city break. That was an uncomfortable weekend!

MashedSpud Mon 25-May-20 17:50:04

I broke the toe next to my little toe. It was agony.

Denver49 Mon 25-May-20 17:50:14

I broke a lot of toes playing soccer, and three in a motorbike crash. Glad to see people have broke a few too

OP’s posts: |
MrsT1405 Mon 25-May-20 17:56:41

I've broken a lot of toes due to falling. Once the bruising and swelling was so bad , I lost a lot of skin and they were talkng skin grafts! I'm just clumsy but do have an excuse.

Heaviestdirtyestsoul Mon 25-May-20 17:56:58

Iv broken right pinky 3 times, dislocated next to it once, broken next to it twice, broken right big toe once (pain like nothing iv ever felt before) broken left pinky and next to it at same time stubbing them on door step whilst running inside, broken left middle dropping a belfast sink on it. I really don't like shoes.

ladylunchalot Mon 25-May-20 18:11:38

I've broken my right big toe 4 times in the last 3 years and my left big toe twice in that time. Taekwondo sparring has a lot answer for!!

rosiejaune Mon 25-May-20 18:24:16

I've broken 2-3 toes.

It's not as simple as taking calcium though; you should get enough from food anyway. But if you don't get enough vitamin D to absorb it, and K2 to direct it to the right places, it's either useless, or actively harmful (i.e. builds up in blood vessels and joints etc instead of bones).

Joolsin Mon 25-May-20 18:53:50

Apparently most of us have broken our pinky toes at some point or other, by stubbing doorframes, etc., but haven't realised it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »