Advanced search

People on universal credit - how much do you get a month?

(252 Posts)
VodkaCranberry2 Mon 25-May-20 13:13:17

Just been approved for UC for me and my DP and my new baby however baby isn’t registered on there yet due to his birth not being registered yet (been told to wait 21 days because offices have not been taking appointments). We got an advance of £1,244. But won’t find out how much we get a month for 5 weeks. I’m just wondering if anyone else is getting it and what sort of figure we can expect to get?

Me - self employed, ending maternity this week
Partner - works in a supermarket

Thank you and sorry for posting here wasn’t sure which topic to post in.

OP’s posts: |
Parmavioletmum Mon 25-May-20 13:54:05

It really depends on your area.

Our allowance is made up of lha rate for entitled property size, the couple allowance (£500 odd) then 2 children (another £500 odd) so maximum is around £1700.

Then they deduct 63p off for every £1 we earn after the first £300.

Obviously childcare costs you declare every month with proof and they award an amount for that too.

Parmavioletmum Mon 25-May-20 13:54:47

Forgot to say obviously they will also deduct the advance at the rate you agreed

Parmavioletmum Mon 25-May-20 13:55:11


Time4change2018 Mon 25-May-20 13:59:23

Go on entitled to website .... you will get an element for you as a couple (higher if over 25yrs), element for your child and an element if you rent but depending on if this is social or private housing and how many bedrooms it may not be full amount.
Whatever you get your advance repayment will be deducted each month.
If you are in receipt of Child benefit verifying your child won't be a problem. Have a look on statement about 5 days before payment and you'll see how much you'll get

knittingaddict Mon 25-May-20 14:08:57

My daughter (single parent with 2 small children) gets about £1,500 including housing benefit. On paper she should get more if you add up all the allowances, but UC is capped at a certain amount per household. She didn't get the extra £80 that was talked about due to CV because of the cap.

I think the benefit checker on moneysavingexpert was quite good and straightforward.

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:11:17

Everyone's Uc will be completely different. It will depend on you and your partners ages, your child's age, you rent and whether council or private, where you live, and your earnings, whether you get paid weekly, fortnightly, four weekly or monthly.

InterestingIris Mon 25-May-20 14:14:36

No longer qualify but we used to get £750 a month UC.
That was for 2 adults, 3 dc and total income of £1600 ish (one parent working ft).

I was gobsmacked it was so much if I’m honest as all i’d read was about how UC was peanuts. We massively kicked ourselves because we didn’t claim for about 6 months as thought it would be barely worth it. Lost out on about £4K as they don’t backdate.

Mirrorxx Mon 25-May-20 14:17:20

Wow it’s significantly more than I thought it was.

knittingaddict Mon 25-May-20 14:23:34

It's not that much if it's all you've got. Well over half my daughter's UC goes on rent for a small 2 bed flat.

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:26:45

It's not good for people solely on Uc that don't work at all. For working people with children who get the work allowance it really can be pretty generous and the standard rate has also raised temporarily due to covoid. I am sometimes amazed at how much people get with wages on top also.

PorpentiaScamander Mon 25-May-20 14:27:56

I'm the same as knittingaddicts daughter. About 1500 for me and 2 dc. Including rent. Currently off work sick and waiting to her about ESA (or whatever it's called now).

ToothFairyNemesis Mon 25-May-20 14:29:19

@VodkaCranberry2 your baby does not need to be registered . Just put a note on your journal.

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:29:24

If one of you is over 25 you will get the couples element of £594.04, child element of £235.83 and then your rent element. That makes your total UC. You then take any wages paid in your monthly assessment period ( this runs from the day you apply to one month later), take away £292 from that total wage amount then multiply by 0.63. This gives you the figure of what will be deducted from your total UC.

ToothFairyNemesis Mon 25-May-20 14:30:20

And join this group

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:30:37

There is no point people saying what amount of Uc they receive - it is totally irrelevant. One person could rent a council property for £400 a month and one rent a flat in London for £1000 a month ??

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:31:52

And people saying they get £1500 a month aren't working wheras op will have significant deductions for earnings and smp ??

WhatsWhat456 Mon 25-May-20 14:32:29

2 adults, 3 dc one parent works full time take home pay from work £1550 a month, we get £1350 Universal Credit a month. We rent from HA so the whole rent amount is used as the housing element unlike private rent which is capped at local housing allowance.

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:33:38

Tooth fairy - Yes that group is very good, think I got chucked out of it a while ago for disagreeing with a moderator, but it is a good group !

Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:36:56

whatswhat - It almost akin to getting another full time wage isn't it? Op will get no-where the same amount especially if only one child and two lots of earnings.

Elephantonascooter Mon 25-May-20 14:39:15

Do an entitled to quote. Works really well and it's quite accurate. We are both working and are in housing association flat. We claim for DS childcare and get about 465 a month

VodkaCranberry2 Mon 25-May-20 14:39:31

I’ve just looked on money supermarket and it’s estimating I’ll get around £824 and that’s before I put my child down which is an extra £235 a month..

OP’s posts: |
Babyroobs Mon 25-May-20 14:41:23

Op how much is your rent and is it private or council? HA. Are you planning to return to work ? That amounts sounds very high unless you have high rent?

ToothFairyNemesis Mon 25-May-20 14:42:18

She didn't get the extra £80 that was talked about due to CV because of the cap.
@knittingaddict that’s because it was only intended for working claimants to help with loss of income , you can only get if you get wtc not just ctc. With UC it was too complicated to only give it to working people so some people who aren’t working get it if they are under the cap.

WhatsWhat456 Mon 25-May-20 14:44:53

@Babyroobs yes we are fortunate and we are greatful for the support we have. I just looked on this month's statement and all the elements seem to have increased slightly so it's actually slightly more than I posted this month it is £1480. The couple's allowance has risen the most by around £100, work allowance has gone up slightly so has child element and disabled child element.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in