Talk

Advanced search

Should I drive 7 hr round trip to see my dad

(135 Posts)
disconnecteddrifter Mon 25-May-20 09:17:24

It's his 80th. Hes all alone. Me and my son would drive down. Stay in the garden. Drive back. What would you do as they are lifting restrictions next week anyway. No symptoms been following the rules until now. Need an answer quickly thanks

OP’s posts: |
MozzchopsThirty Mon 25-May-20 09:18:58

I would, if it's good enough for Cummings 💁🏼‍♀️

Waxonwaxoff0 Mon 25-May-20 09:19:24

I would.

Tiramisuiloveyou Mon 25-May-20 09:22:43

Go, if you can do it without hugging being too close and stay in the garden and be socially distant. If need be take your own chairs to save dad getting anything out/putting it away.

Junebug2020 Mon 25-May-20 09:24:00

I would if I thought I could do it without endangering him. Think through what you'll do re food and toilets as well.
I hope he has a good birthday

disconnecteddrifter Mon 25-May-20 09:24:52

Was thinking services for food and toilets get there sit in the garden with picnic I will take for an hour or two then drive back

disconnecteddrifter Mon 25-May-20 09:25:11

Thank you

Mascotte Mon 25-May-20 09:25:36

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about staying in the garden either, depending on how much contact you've had with the world since lockdown. And how your dad feels.

rookiemere Mon 25-May-20 09:26:05

Do it. I'm driving to see my parents today with DS. Hour each way, bringing essential provisions (M&S gluten free pies).

Wynston Mon 25-May-20 09:26:20

I would in a heartbeat.....safe journey!

disconnecteddrifter Mon 25-May-20 09:26:50

My dad has been going shopping still hes on his own and very lonely anyway. I have been following the rules but I have had to work but social distanced there

DontStandSoCloseToMe Mon 25-May-20 09:27:09

Take your own food rather than stop and can you not go a few hours without needing to wee? There seem to be a lot of tiny bladders on MN , I drove Manchester to London six months pregnant and didn't need to stop

flossisboss Mon 25-May-20 09:28:05

It sounds like you've thought it through carefully, so I'd say definitely do it. I hope you have a lovely visit

SierraHotel Mon 25-May-20 09:29:29

Wouldn't even give it a second thought, imagine how happy your dad will be to see you.

UnderTheBus Mon 25-May-20 09:29:36

Do it.
I wouldnt stop at a service station - less risky to wait until you get there and use your dad's loo just clean it afterwards. It's only been used by him rather than hundreds of other motorists.

EmeraldShamrock Mon 25-May-20 09:31:08

Yes go. Bring a bucket ig if you need a pee stop. Life is short I'd risk at as ,long as your not risk to your DF. I think it would make his month to see you. smile

Mistressiggi Mon 25-May-20 09:31:41

It's not less risky to the dad though.
I'm impressed with the bladders that can go 7 hours driving and visit time added in without a loo stop. I'm a teacher so have an iron bladder but I can't even manage that!

Inoneminute Mon 25-May-20 09:34:43

What a difference a weekend makes. I don't think you'd have got these answers on Friday and I haven't yet done the same with my parents who live round the corner becuse it is technically against the rules (although they have each other) but yes, go.

ilikefastcars Mon 25-May-20 09:43:25

No I wouldn't.
The whole point about not seeing family is the temptation to get too close, minimising risk to them.
My Dad is 4 hours away from me too, but he understands why I cannot just drive down there.
Just because someone else is breaking lockdown doesn't mean you should.

cherryblossommorningstoday Mon 25-May-20 09:43:37

Yes I dud this.

Didn't stop at services though and took own food and drinks for garden.

Ordered a cake that I handed over by leaving it on the doorstep!

Toilet is tricky. Field?

ghostyslovesheets Mon 25-May-20 09:43:49

Go - I was 50 yesterday and my 74 year old mum surprised me by driving from Liverpool to brum with a cake!

No hugging - we sat on the drive chatting- but it made my day - I haven’t seen her since Christmas

LemonyCupcake Mon 25-May-20 09:44:28

OMG just go def

BoingBoingyBoing Mon 25-May-20 09:44:48

Totally go.

LemonyCupcake Mon 25-May-20 09:45:37

Service station loos are open though anyway

Binterested Mon 25-May-20 09:46:08

We went to my dads for his 80th. Sat in the garden and chatted. No one was in any danger. He had a lovely day and it gave him a lift. I would definitely go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »