Talk

Advanced search

To think a second living area would be preferable to a garage?

(51 Posts)
Dylaninthemovies1 Sun 24-May-20 10:18:22

In the city where I live, new build houses are popping up everywhere. Lots of them have 3 or 4 bedrooms, a lounge, dining kitchen and garage. But the garages are actually a bit small for a lot of modern cars. Aibu to think they would be better making the space into a 2nd living / family / sitting area than a glorified storage room ?

OP’s posts: |
LadyGAgain Sun 24-May-20 10:19:42

100% agree. As long as you have parking!

ChaoticCatling Sun 24-May-20 10:20:26

I agree, a shed will do for bikes and a lawnmower.

Dylaninthemovies1 Sun 24-May-20 10:20:40

Very true!!! I think most of these new builds do have parking on them

Whatsmyname26 Sun 24-May-20 10:21:06

We have multiple extra living areas because whoever did the extension work here before we bought recognised this fact! Def more useful than a garage

Dylaninthemovies1 Sun 24-May-20 10:21:09

I’m a tiny bit obsessed with property. Particularly floor plans

inwood Sun 24-May-20 10:21:14

Depends if there is an accessible loft or a garden bigger than a postage stamp for a shed.

Dylaninthemovies1 Sun 24-May-20 10:22:35

Ooh I never thought of that inwood

Dylaninthemovies1 Sun 24-May-20 11:10:42

@Whatsmyname26. What do you use each of your living areas for?

flowery Sun 24-May-20 11:13:09

Most new builds have teeny gardens, especially in cities, so a big shed for all their storage wouldn’t really work. And I suppose the beauty of a garage is that as long as it’s joined to the house, in theory the home owner could convert it if they want, which doesn’t work the other way round.

MidsummerMurder Sun 24-May-20 11:14:15

Our new build homes are some of the smallest in Europe, both flats and houses.

Thingsthatgo Sun 24-May-20 11:14:15

In some areas, I think that new build houses are obliged to have off road parking, to ease the parking problems in towns and cities.

Beagled Sun 24-May-20 11:16:32

Horses for courses. A garage is an essential for us. Well for OH. A second living area would be great but I don’t think it would get used. God forbid my 7 year old leave my side for 5 minutes 😅

Nacreous Sun 24-May-20 11:19:20

I would like another sitting room in theory, but garages can be used for washing machines and tumble dryers which is a pretty hefty advantage. And useful for things like fixing bikes, doing DIY as it has power and doesn't rely on good weather.

PurplePansy05 Sun 24-May-20 11:22:16

I agree. Garage is pretty useless, a double drive and more living space is far more practical.

Dylaninthemovies1 Sun 24-May-20 11:33:02

reading some of the responses it must be a bit of a mix then what people want. For us, it would be extra living space (particularly as I can’t drive, but DH does, so we have one car but it’s fine in the driveway). I’ve visited a few friends in newbuilds who have paid a lot more than I have for their houses, and their houses are lovely, but the living room is just so cramped and there is no other living space in the house. Perhaps developers could give peiple an option when selling houses ?

bridgetreilly Sun 24-May-20 11:37:25

I don't know if it's still the case but car insurance used to be lower if you had a garage (whether or not you used it).

nitgel Sun 24-May-20 11:38:20

round here they've all converted their garages so take up all onstreet parking. it's a pita

bridgetreilly Sun 24-May-20 11:38:50

The thing I would change about most new builds is the excessive number of bathrooms and toilets. That would free up plenty of space, and have the added bonus of having fewer bathrooms and toilets to clean.

RomaineCalm Sun 24-May-20 11:39:36

Our neighbours converted their double garage into an additional family room but did it in a way that it could be converted back relatively easily if they were to sell.

So many new build houses have 4/5 bedrooms but very little downstairs living space. Particularly as the children get older it's nice to have a second room for TV/XBox etc. rather than having everything and everyone in their bedrooms.

bridgetreilly Sun 24-May-20 11:40:36

And they really need to stop building new developments in such a way that almost all the curb is dropped so that there's nowhere for visitors to park. Give people decent off-road parking, sure, but make sure that the spaces between driveways are actually big enough for someone to park.

LivingDeadGirlUK Sun 24-May-20 11:41:17

Its cheaper for the developer to put a garage in than another room.

BikeRunSki Sun 24-May-20 11:41:25

We bought our house because of the integral garage. We have a lot of high value bikes and this was one of our principal requirements for a house. We had one large living room, which which split into two smaller ones when the dc were 5 and 2.

BikeRunSki Sun 24-May-20 11:42:30

In flood areas, it is far more sustainable to put a garage as the ground floor and build living space above this.

M0mmyneedswine Sun 24-May-20 11:43:35

Our garage has so much in it that if we moved it would definitely be something we would want, garden would need to be huge for size of shed we would need. Never put car in as simply wouldn't fit with other stuff

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »