Talk

Advanced search

To book a holiday?

(17 Posts)
Someonesayroadtrip Sat 23-May-20 21:04:42

I want to book a break in March for France (Disney), is that's ridiculous given everything that's happening and more significantly is there cover if I can't go? If I book on my credit card will I be protected if we/they have a second spike? Would booking with full knowledge that it may possibly not go ahead void any cover?

1981m Sat 23-May-20 21:06:22

I wouldn't personally, I think it's very likely there will be a second spike and we just don't know what is going to happen. Personally I don't fancy flying any time soon either. I would wait and see.

Someonesayroadtrip Sat 23-May-20 21:17:40

I do agree, I wouldn't fly, we would drive, We have never taken the children abroad and school allow them out without fines, but it's my eldest last year. Everything sort of lined up. I'm would be ok to lose something but I can't afford it lose it all.

I've been saying a second spike it due too, but less sure now seeing worldwide stats. Just don't know what to think.

Ylvamoon Sat 23-May-20 21:23:13

I have moved this year holidays abroad (June & August) to similar dates nx year. I hope that we have some solution by then that will allow international travel. Tourism is a big part of the world economy so it's in everyone's interest to get things moving agin.

Someonesayroadtrip Sat 23-May-20 21:41:51

Thanks, really hope it's fine for you. I'm just wondering about March, I mean it's 9 months away, surely it will be fine or at least more functional, but I'm concerned about insurance. I was convinced it would all be really bad again by now, I'm in Wales and half or more of my neighbours haven't social distanced since VE Day, so was expecting to see a raise but no evidence of that yet.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 23-May-20 21:47:40

We have permanent travel insurance with our bank account, and we've just had a letter from them to say that we are not covered for anything related to Coronavirus because it is now a known issue - so we are covered for the summer holiday we were due to go on in August because we booked in January, but if we were to book something now and it was cancelled/affected due to Corona, we'd not be covered by them.

Aragog Sat 23-May-20 21:51:27

I booked a long haul holiday for October half term today. I want it to look forward to.

Deposit was lower than normal and no longer need to pay the rest until three weeks before. So we would lose the deposits at most if we have to cancel - three weeks before we'd pretty much know the score.

olivo Sat 23-May-20 21:51:27

Can I ask which bank pleas, TheOnlyliving? I wonder if ours might do the same, but I haven't received anything so far.

olivo Sat 23-May-20 21:52:43

We have booked for Easter next year and completed a booking for a Christmas that was partially booked, thanks to vouchers for two missed trips in the last 3 months.

crustycrab Sat 23-May-20 21:59:32

Would your employer be happy with you isolating for two weeks upon return?

PinkiOcelot Sat 23-May-20 22:02:48

I think I’d wait tbh.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 23-May-20 22:11:40

olivo - Nationwide

Someonesayroadtrip Sat 23-May-20 22:29:12

@crustycrab would anyone's? It's 9/10 months away, so I am hoping that wouldn't still be in place because obviously of it were then it would apply the opposite way anyway, so that wouldn't work.

crustycrab Sat 23-May-20 22:31:32

Well yes. Exactly. So you choose between losing your money if it is still in place.

I think booking a holiday now would be foolish

crustycrab Sat 23-May-20 22:32:22

And yes. Some employers have confirmed they'll allow wfh in that instance.

lurker101 Sat 23-May-20 22:34:36

Disney Shanghai have reopened - it might be worth looking at some of the measures they have introduced to enable safe reopening and decide for yourself if you would like to visit (on the chance that they reopen in a similar manner in Paris and are still running these measures) I.e. temperature check at entry, no close contact with characters etc.

If you booked and then don’t like the restrictions in place at the time of departure I don’t think you would be covered by insurance etc. if you chose not to travel.

Someonesayroadtrip Sat 23-May-20 22:47:01

@lurker101 I've been keeping an eye yes. There are big restrictions but I'm ok with the limitations. I have two children with autism, it would probably made the experience easier.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll leave it. Gutted. We have been planning this for years, it's a really narrow which worked for us and when we were able to book all this happened and they closed. Assumed it would have been fine by then but now I'm second guessing it.

Going back to employers, I'm self employed so not a major issue for me, but my husband is an engineer so that wouldn't work for him. But like is said, it's wouldn't work anyway.

Lesson. Don't promise the kids you'll take them to Disney. 🙈

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »