Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to judge these DP?

(6 Posts)
Boogiewoogietoo Sat 23-May-20 19:18:02

In Waitrose this afternoon. Woman queuing in front of me had 2 children (baby and toddler) in a double buggy and her Dsis with her. Inside a young couple were wandering around with a newborn in a pram. I realise some people have no choice but to take their DC into shops, but both these families clearly had an alternative option (leave DC outside with other adult).

AIBU to judge the parents and to think the shop should have refused entry to the DC and one of the adults?

mbosnz Sat 23-May-20 19:19:27

Well, I'm thinking that clearly these people exercised their common sense, and were acting legally as per the Cummings defence.

Cam2020 Sat 23-May-20 19:38:26

At least the children were in buggies! I had to take my 3yr old daughter last week and made her sit in her buggy. There were so many children running around, hurtling towards other shoppers, not paying attention to where they were going and just being kids, but the parents were completely oblivious (or maybe just ineffectual). My daughter, seeing other kids messing about, obviously asked to get out and got a 'no' in response! I don't think children are a problem as long as they're behaving and being properly supervised.

BumpBundle Sat 23-May-20 19:51:57

I'm going to say what has been said a million times on these posts. You don't know everyone's circumstances. When I was pregnant, the doctor told my husband that I could never be left alone ever. Not to pee, not to shower, nothing. Never alone. If that were the case now then I would need to go to the shop with my husband and have everyone judging us. If that's the case with the couple and their newborn then what were they supposed to do? The mother can't be alone or alone with just the baby... Some epileptics require constant supervision too. Maybe she ran into her sister in the shop, were they 2m apart - maybe they can't be 2m apart all the time because they're nurses who work together so they need to shop separately as separate households but then can be within 2m?
Obviously some people are breaking the rules but some people have unavoidable need to break those rules. You can't tell by looking who has a valid reason and who doesn't. Sometimes it's just best to assume that they have a valid reason for your own sanity.

LillianBland Sat 23-May-20 20:00:00

I don’t have an issue with babies or small children up in strollers, as they’re contained. I would get annoyed at any parent that lets their child wander around the store, especially if they’re pawing all over products. . They should be kept by their side,

ParkheadParadise Sat 23-May-20 20:00:36

No I wouldn't judge them.
I don't care what other people do anymore.
In the supermarket nowadays I'm too busy making sure I'm following the bloody arrows, to look at other people. I'm sure I'm going the right way then i look down and the arrows are going the other way🤨.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »