Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has ever been admitted to a mental health hospital as an adult

(15 Posts)
User41452 Sat 23-May-20 18:49:27

Due to feeling suicidal or after a suicide attempt? Currently trying to get an inpatient bed for my relative it seems impossible though. Were you admitted informally or via section?

sonypony Sat 23-May-20 19:00:13

Informally. Wish I hadn’t! They were awful and I came out in an even worse state than I went in.

AragornsManlyStubble Sat 23-May-20 19:02:50

I went into an adult facility by choice at 16 after a failed attempt at hanging myself as I was deemed too old for youth services.

It was horrendous and I was on open door 24 hour suicide watch.

AragornsManlyStubble Sat 23-May-20 19:04:06

I was taken to A and E by my mother and grandmother who refused to move until I was assessed by a professional and I agreed to be admitted. It took 11 hours of waiting.

dottycat123 Sat 23-May-20 19:11:59

There are so many factors to consider. The relative would have to be considered in need of inpatient admission and their mental health team involved. Community treatment is always the preferred option and there a some disorders that are known to do badly in hospital such as Emotionally unstable personality disorder.

AmNot Sat 23-May-20 19:12:37

Extremely rare unless sectioned these days and being suicidal doesn't mean that would happen.

Also the possibility (or likelihood in some areas) that an inpatient admission may not be local needs to be taken into account.

Ponoka7 Sat 23-May-20 19:20:31

My Niece was discharged from hospital after her suicide attempt and promised a visit from the community team the next day. They phoned her instead. She eventually got into counselling via CAMHS.

It depends on where you are and what is said during the assessment, as well as the history of the patient.

AlltheRs Sat 23-May-20 19:22:37

No. but I've been instrumental in getting someone sectioned.
Age may play a part in if there's any interest in doing anything to help them rather than just locking the 'problem person and their behaviors' out of society. Totally Cinderella service and pretty grim.
It was necessary, and I'm glad their behavior was sufficiently extreme that I could be sure there was no longer an alternative, as the world they entered was not one I could ever recommend as anything other than a total last resort.
I know people of different ages who have been both voluntary and sectioned. I can't say it's been good or ended well for them. For one it was the thing that caused them to go from ideation to action.
There are good reasons why there's a reluctance to place people into the system.
Sorry, because I also understand what it's like trying to keep someone safe without support.

Slightlyunhinged Sun 24-May-20 03:25:13

My experience was quite different to other posters . I was admitted voluntarily, although I remember being told that I would be sectioned if I didn't agree to go in. The unit I was in was a good one. I had time and space to think, staff to talk to and there were different activity sessions each day - country walks, tai chi, craft sessions. I did feel very lost the first day or two, I was admitted in the middle of the night and no-one showed me around or explained how things worked. Once I got over that it was fine. I didn't have to fight for a place , I was admitted straight after attempting suicide. That was 3 years ago and although I still have down days I feel so much better now so please don't give up hope for your relative.

ilovesooty Sun 24-May-20 03:47:08

Yes, voluntarily but I was also told I'd be sectioned if I refused. The staff were kind but the place was pretty horrible. I had ECT while I was there. My mother was admitted twice - sectioned both times. She had ECT as well.

XDownwiththissortofthingX Sun 24-May-20 04:08:49

Yes, it's highly unlikely they'd admit someone simply because they are suicidal or have attempted it. In the latter case it's usually hospital treatment in the local General or Infirmary until the individual is safe, then the local CMHT will take over and see them as an outpatient.

Very few people are sectioned these days unless they are actively psychotic, completely disassociated, or posing a danger to other people.

The whole 'voluntary admission' thing is such a farce. It's invariably compelled by an MHO telling you you'll be subject to Compulsory Order otherwise, so you might as well 'come quietly' rather than have the police involved etc. There's nothing 'voluntary' about it.

Yearcat13 Sun 24-May-20 06:09:54

Yes I begged to be admitted and was in for 3 days. At the time very suicidal, I've had to get a sibling sectioned which was an extremely complex and difficult process even though he was dangerous and psychotic.

Try to insist on it emphasize that the family member is utterly suicidal etc, beds and resources are scarce.

vampirethriller Sun 24-May-20 07:17:41

I was, they discharged me from hospital straight to a mental unit after a suicide attempt. No counselling or therapy other than Why did you do it and some colouring in.

Slightlyunhinged Sun 24-May-20 23:51:08

Yes @vampirethriller I remember the colouring in! Although in my case it lead to me discovering that I loved painting and now I have even had a picture displayed at the RWA. Art ended up being really important to me and a major coping mechanism for coping with my mental health and it all started with that colouring in!

Maddiemoosmum0203 Sun 24-May-20 23:56:45

I have been both voluntary 3 times and sectioned twice, all very different same inpatient facility in my town so family could visit the harshest was when I was first sectioned I was in a state they had no beds locally they sent me 345 miles away one the plus point it was a priory but funded my nhs as had no beds for me
It has had both positive and negative for
Me but it will keep
You safe I found it hard to be voluntary but shocked when they sectioned me both after a suicide attempt one was serious enough for me
To be in intensive care

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »