Talk

Advanced search

to ask what advice you would give your 24-year-old self?

(108 Posts)
cheekyrobot Sat 23-May-20 18:15:59

I have Name Changed for this.

I am 24 years old and over lockdown have had the time to reflect. I want to make big changes to my life. I am hoping some advice from others can help me choose the right path so thank you in advance for your time to respond.

What advice would you give to your 24 year old self regarding finances, friends, family, career, travel, and anything else?

GhostCurry Sat 23-May-20 18:29:52

Travel as much as you can now, it’s a golden age.

Continue your skin care down to your chest, including sunscreen.

Don’t be so scared of boys. Have fun with them. You are much better looking than you think.

MissCalamity Sat 23-May-20 18:37:04

Age 24, I was working abroad. I was seeing someone back home and I sort of knew it wasn't going anywhere.
I wish I'd kind of let loose a bit and enjoyed the "repping" lifestyle more worked in the office so not an actual rep

In my head at that time I wanted to make a permanent move abroad & settle down with a spanish bloke & have gorgeous bilingual babies.

I ended up with one of my mates friends, 2 kids and 5 minutes away from my parents. 🤣

Have fun now, try not to worry too much about the future!

mindutopia Sat 23-May-20 18:41:32

Definitely travel and live it up.

HillieBoliday Sat 23-May-20 18:43:58

Take more risks. You have so much more going for you than you realise.

Don’t be so scared of boys. Have fun with them. You are much better looking than you think.

I echo this!

Sparklesocks Sat 23-May-20 18:44:00

Unclench a bit. It’s ok to relax and have fun, there’s plenty of time for the serious stuff later.
But also be a bit more assertive, you don’t have to spend time with people you don’t click with because you feel like you should. It’s ok to not go on that night out, or leave early if you run out of steam.
Try and put a bit more money aside every month into your savings, but not so much that you sacrifice doing anything fun in your spare time.

Overtherainbow2020 Sat 23-May-20 18:44:39

Don’t let the weight creep on, you are more gorgeous than you imagine!
Don’t marry him, you know you’re settling just because you think no one else will want you.
Travel more!

Terralee Sat 23-May-20 18:45:33

Stop the Nursing course at Uni!!

HillieBoliday Sat 23-May-20 18:45:59

Oh and don’t keep trying to please your mother. —She will never be happy anyways—

Elllicam Sat 23-May-20 18:47:34

I would start making a money plan, start saving.

Colinthedaxi Sat 23-May-20 18:48:09

Marry him, or at least make sure you have Wills!

crosser62 Sat 23-May-20 18:49:37

Travel, travel TRAVEL!!
Carry on working hard but play hard too.

You are beautiful, slim, funny, live it up, love yourself, you have absolutely no clue about your assets.

Carry on, you are doing fine, you will be fine, your decisions are great and yes, your future planning is spot on.
Be proud.

CuppaZa Sat 23-May-20 18:50:21

Leave the bastard, you are worth more. Life is full of ups and downs, sometimes more downs, so appreciate the good times. Make memories. Time flies. Things change

ludothedog Sat 23-May-20 18:50:34

don't be so scared of boys. Have fun with them. You're much better looking than you think

This × 100

blueReliantRobin Sat 23-May-20 18:50:52

Doing Arts at uni is just a waste of time and money, and never marry someone if you don't want to f that person all the time.

HillieBoliday Sat 23-May-20 18:51:14

By taking risks I don’t mean (in normal circumstances) going back to the flat of someone you’ve just met ...
I mean travel/ditch the boyfriend if you have doubts/change career if you realise it’s not for you/take part in Karaoke (does anyone still do karaoke?)/be confident that you are actually funny/you don’t imagine it ... celebrate the things you’re good at. They DO have value.

ShinyMe Sat 23-May-20 18:51:17

DO as much as you can. Say yes to things, even if you think you might not like them. Go to live concerts and theatre and parties. Have lots of sex with those cute guys that ask. Travel everywhere you can. You're not as fat as you think you are.

Nikhedonia Sat 23-May-20 18:51:39

Rent out your flat, travel on your own and under no circumstances marry him.

daisymay133 Sat 23-May-20 18:52:16

Travel

Go on loads girls trips
Go spend a season abroad

Don’t settle down before 30

drayco Sat 23-May-20 18:52:35

Lose the weight now or lose your whole twenties to lack of confidence.

Don't take the call centre job 'just for now' as you'll be there ten years.

Don't waste your money on shit you don't need save for a house!

Bluewater1 Sat 23-May-20 18:53:19

Be brave, don't let fear hold you back from what you want to do in life. Spend your time with people who matter and people who make you feel good to be around. Know that life's adversities will come along to knock you down but believe and know that you absolutely have the strength and inner resources to get right back up again

Auntgiraffe Sat 23-May-20 18:53:47

Don’t marry him, you know you’re settling just because you think no one else will want you.

Amen to this.

You have to whole world at your feet, be brave.

Don't let anxiety about change stop you taking risks.

Travel as much as you can.

Take your time to find what you truly would love to do as a career.

Save money, but not at the expense of having wonderful experiences and fun.

OfTheNight Sat 23-May-20 18:54:48

Stop comparing yourself to your friends, enjoy things more, be nicer to yourself. I’m 38 and still tell myself these things in vain!!

lurch3r Sat 23-May-20 18:56:04

You were right to buy the house, but don't give up your job when you have your babies next year. Just don't. It feels impossible but make it work because it will take you 15 years to earn that salary again.

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Sat 23-May-20 18:57:26

When I was 24 my son was 2.

The only advice I have now is you don't need to competitive parent. You really won't give a feck what people think 5 years from now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »