Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask you for simple food/meal ideas

(37 Posts)
suzilady Sat 23-May-20 18:01:15

I know its is not in the correct section but if anyone can suggest easy lunch / dinners ideas to make , it would be appreciated. I feel I constantly make the same dishes and need some inspiration. I am not great at cooking but will give it a go!
We have roast dinners , spaghetti bolognese, cottage pie , chicken curry & rice , chicken & steak fajitas, beef stew with mash, lasagne.
Or if anyone knows of a simple cook book with these type of meals , nothing fussy that would be great. Thanks in advance.

cakecakecheese Sat 23-May-20 18:06:02

Maybe try a student cookbook?

mossberry Sat 23-May-20 18:08:08

Chicken Skewers
Unsweetened Greek yoghurt with 1x tsp salt, 1x tsp garlic powder and 1x tsp paprika mixed into it.
Marinate diced chicken breast in it for at least 30 mins or as long as you want.
Then put onto skewers with peppers, mushrooms and red onion.
Bake in the oven (180 for 30 mins)
Serve with pitta and salad and garlic dip.

Marshmallow91 Sat 23-May-20 18:08:13

What about chicken breast with some philidelphia and breadcrumbs
Macaroni cheese (making a cheese sauce is really easy once you get the hang of it)
Or a home made fish and chips - sweet potatoes make great chips
Stirfry's are good for using whatever veg you have hanging around
Meatloaf is good too

All the above are really simple and you can get the recipes from looking in BBC good food, or a quick Google search

suzilady Sat 23-May-20 18:08:17

Great idea cakecakecheese!

Newuser123123 Sat 23-May-20 18:10:10

Quesadillas
Also sweet and sour - Pineapple, cornflour, Ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Super easy if you use shop bought battered chicken.
Home made pizza

Hoohaahoo Sat 23-May-20 18:10:37

I made this the other day and it was delicious and easy. Not the healthiest mind!

suzilady Sat 23-May-20 18:10:38

thank you ...some lovely suggestions.

Elouera Sat 23-May-20 18:18:41

- Spaghetti meatballs. I use nice, butcher sausages, squeeze out the meat and roll into balls. Cook and use as the meatballs in the spaghetti.

-Carbonara with a salad and garlic bread

- Brushetta

- Tagine with cous cous (I use the instant packet cous cous as find the plain stuff never tastes any good)

- You said you already make fajitas, but what meat do you use? We vary each time, so chicken breast, chicken thigh, steak or beef mince.

- KFC like baked chicken with a salad or veg

- Fish pie

- Tuna or salmon pasta bake

- Baked potatoes and sweet potato, then various fillings to choose from. ham/bacon/gammon and pineapple. SPring onions. Baked beans or curried baked beans. Cold slaw etc

thefishthatcouldwish Sat 23-May-20 18:19:46

I find pinch of nom recipes good.

Gatehouse77 Sat 23-May-20 19:01:18

BBC Good Food has a good selection.
Also, look for recipes aimed at kids getting cooking skills as they’re usually quite simple.

Varying the pasta sauces is quite simple - tomato and tuna, carbonara, lentil and bacon, cheese sauce with vegetables/bacon/etc.

One way we’ve made sure we vary is to menu plan so we’re not doing it on the fly. We’ve picked dishes from specific cuisines either for a whole week (wouldn’t repeat) or for a day a week which helps think of alternatives. Most recipes came from googling but BBC has sections per cuisine too.

3inarow320 Sat 23-May-20 19:10:29

Regulars

Stir-fry
Baked potato
Pizza
Veggie omelette
Chilli
Curry
Soup
Some of these can be eaten the next day as leftover or as a smaller portion with one of the other things or freeze extra portions
No waste

Ohtherewearethen Sat 23-May-20 19:12:52

Chicken, pork or beef stir fry is so easy and cheap.

Sausage pie -sausages squeezed out of skins into rough blobs. Fry. Mix with chicken gravy. Top with cheesy mash and bake. Can jazz things up with leeks and mustard in the mash. Or change sausages for chicken or fish or whatever takes your fancy.

New potatoes in a dash of oil. Roast for 20 mins. Add smoked bacon lard ons, back to oven for another 10 mins. Add salmon fillets for 20 mins. Add asparagus and cook for last 5 mins.

Cheats' paella - flavoured rice packets with added veg and chicken/chorizo/seafood.

vanillandhoney Sat 23-May-20 19:16:36

Homemade pizza
Sausage and mash
Fajitas/wraps
Pasta bakes
Frittata with various fillings
Omelettes
Jacket potato with various fillings
Macaroni cheese
Stir fries
Oven roasted vegetables
Risotto
Homemade soup with crusty bread

GetYourGoatYouHavePulled Sat 23-May-20 19:27:28

Chicken and chorizo paella made with (and I originally scoffed at this but it works for a quick and easy dinner) golden rice out of a packet. Fry the chicken, add in onion and pepper, add water and rice, whilst cooking fry off some chorizo, once the rice has been absorbed by the water add in the chorizo.

Also spaghetti carbonara, the delia Smith recipe is great and takes about 20 minutes. Make your own garlic bread to go with it (add crushed garlic to melted butter, dip in baguette then warm baguette in oven) it’s delicious.

zscaler Sat 23-May-20 19:27:30

Tomato pasta:

Chop a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes in half. Dice 2 cloves of garlic. Put in a frying pan with olive oil and a good sprinkle of flaky sea salt, and cook on a low heat until the tomatoes start to release their juices.

Put on spaghetti in a pan of very salty water.

Add a slug of white wine to the tomatoes and cook down into a slightly gooey sauce.

Chop a large handful of fresh basil.

Reserve a cup of pasta water and drain the spaghetti. Add the pasta to the tomatoes with a splash of pasta water and the basil. Toss to combine, adding more pasta water if needed to help the sauce coat the pasta.

Serve with a sprinkle of lemon zest and a little more fresh basil.

Baked potatoes with mushrooms:

Bake potatoes (remember that the bastards always take much longer than you think they will - I give mine an hour and a half)

Meanwhile, chop up an onion and a carton of chestnut or button mushrooms. Keep them chunky, not finely diced. Add both to to a pan with salt and olive oil and cook until the water releases by the mushrooms has evaporated and they have started to squeak. Sprinkle over a tablespoon of plain flour and stir until coated. Cook for a minute, then gradually add vegetable stock or bouillon until you have a thick, creamy sauce. Add a glug of white wine and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme and simmer until the sauce thickens. Season to taste, and add a small handful of fresh tarragon at the end. Chives are also nice. Serve over the baked potatoes.

Cheesy potato and leek pie:

Slice up a few big potatoes into fine slices and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Cook a couple of leeks and an onion in olive oil with sea salt and pepper. Once softened, add a table spoon of flour, stir to coat and cook for a minute. Then add veg stock or bouillon until you have a thick, creamy sauce. Add white wine, a teaspoon of mustard and some fresh tarragon. I then add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast to make it vegan, but you can use cheese (cheddar or Parmesan would be nice) if you eat it. Let the sauce cool completely.

In a pie dish, layer the potato slices then the cheesy sauce then the potato slices until the dish is filled.

Use shop-bought puff pastry to make a lid, crimped to the edges of the pie dish. Brush with a beaten egg or milk. Bake at 180c for about 30 minutes, until the top has puffed up and is golden brown.

This is excellent served with baked beans.

isthistoonosy Sat 23-May-20 19:28:23

Pies and soups are much easier than I'd imagined, bbc good food is my go too for recipes - although I sub meat and veg for what I have in the fridge/freezer. Even flakey pastry (I assume that has has a real name) isn't too difficult or costly.

bobbythejobby Sat 23-May-20 19:43:11

Tesco magazine often has some quite simple/easy recipes.

ChaoticCatling Sat 23-May-20 19:43:39

Have you tried Simply Cook? You get four recipes and ingredient kits with the pastes and seasonings you need, then you just buy the fresh ingredients.
It's non-perishable and fits through the letterbox. I've been using them for a year and it makes it do much easier to try out new recipes.

There is currently a free trial promotion running if you are interested. It's a subscription but you can change the frequency of delivery or cancel anytime.
simplycook.com/invite/NT8405

bridgetreilly Sat 23-May-20 20:08:47

Try The Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer. I also like the Green Roasting Tin (vegetarian and vegan recipes).

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Sat 23-May-20 20:15:59

Have you got slowcooker? Because it makes amazing chinese duck to go with rice pankakes!
Rub the duck with 5 spice inside and out. Plop duck in the slowcooker for 1 hour on high and then 5 on low. After that you can crispy it up in the oven. So tasty! Just add rice pankakes, hoison, spring onion and cucumber.
Now, that's a simply made mealgrin

You can also make it in the oven but make sure it's covered and sealed.

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Sat 23-May-20 20:24:04

We do Kabsa. Though we don't put carrot at all. So version of kabsa.
This looks most similar.
www.internationalcuisine.com/al-kabsa/

If you want to cook variety of foods, make sure you have plenty of different herbs and spices. Then it will be much easier to come up with something and get some inspiration

1Morewineplease Sat 23-May-20 20:24:46

Jamie Oliver has recently finished a daily programme called ‘Keep Cooking and Carry On’ in which he’d get any old store cupboard ingredient, frozen food and various leftovers and bits and pieces and would create something wonderful. He made a point of telling you how to swap ingredients to suit what you might have .
I learned a lot, saved a lot and I’m not even a fan of his.
Do google.

AdaColeman Sat 23-May-20 20:32:04

I like to have a pan of homemade soup ready for lunches, quick to get on the table with some bread, and economical too.

Other lunch ideas are frittata, vegetable & lentil stews, cous-cous salads with a selection of things like chopped salami, hard boiled eggs, tinned fish.

Simple dinner ideas are,
Pasta Primavera, good for using up leftover vegetables,
Homemade pizza
Chicken leftovers in white sauce served. with rice or as pasta Alfredo
Risotto
Paella (Chicken, seafood or vegetable)
Open tarts made with bought pastry, again can be made with a selection of leftovers topped with cheese.

Mintjulia Sat 23-May-20 20:35:28

My favourite recent one, mix some sausage meat with onion, garlic, and herbs/spices.

Slice the tops off some sweet peppers, and dip them in boiling water for 1minute. Then pack the peppers with the sausage meat mix, put them in a roasting tin and put in the oven at 160 for 45 mins.

Takes all of five minutes to prepare smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »