Talk

Advanced search

To feel I can't cope with schools only going back part time in August?

(658 Posts)
jbonsor Sat 23-May-20 17:05:17

Just that. I was coping OK with lockdown, and trying to keep positive about juggling kids and working from home til June, then take a few weeks holiday over the summer just to do things with the kids even if still restricted. This week I have received a letter from my son's nursery to say he has a space for the 2020-2021 school year but that due to covid 19 they can't confirm pattern of attendance, as in, they can't confirm if he will have the 30 hours he was having since August. I also have read a lot that primary school might be 2 days only a week or a very day but only morning or afternoon session.. This has really tipped me over the edge as I am dreading having to keep juggling all this for over a year. This really puts a strain in family life and finances because now we have to basically decide on one income only, and not onky that but I don't feel I am that good at home schooling and feel like my kids are going to fall behind. Sometimes I can't believe how everything fell apart so spectacularly and how is the Scottish government deciding this is the best course of action without any regard for the mountain of problems this will bring to a huge amount of families.

ElizabethG81 Sat 23-May-20 17:08:57

YANBU at all, I despair at what people are letting happen to our children, and to women.

Waxonwaxoff0 Sat 23-May-20 17:13:16

YANBU. I'm not in Scotland but it's shit. I hope we don't follow suit in England, it's just not feasible for me with work.

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:15:22

YANBU at all, I despair at what people are letting happen to our children, and to women.

Nothing is happening to our children. They will not be damaged by this.

Also, women?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 23-May-20 17:16:57

They will not be damaged by this.

This is really naive. And wrong.

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:18:21

This is really naive. And wrong.

No it's not. Children will be just fine with missing a bit of nursery/primary school.

Waxonwaxoff0 Sat 23-May-20 17:19:23

Yes, women, because it will likely be women having to give up their jobs because of this.

jbonsor Sat 23-May-20 17:19:44

@masonmason what do you mean nothi g is happening to them? Their access to education, interactions with friends and family, choice of activities, in escence their whole routine and way of living has changed. That's what is happening to them.

SomewhereEast Sat 23-May-20 17:22:27

I honestly think things will be much more normal by say September than we think, partly because of ever increased testing & better treatments etc, but largely because much of this is completely unsustainable longterm. There's a point where we'll collectively decide that it just isn't worth utterly shredding our society, economy and wider physical & mental well-being. And to be honest I think that'll hold true even if there is some kind of second wave (and I actually doubt there will be).

Properbobbins Sat 23-May-20 17:25:51

It’s not just a bit of school - DD has been out since March, no current date for return and when/if she does before Sept it will be part time. That’s a lot of school.

modgepodge Sat 23-May-20 17:26:58

It really annoys me when people say this won’t hurt children. I, and many other adults, have struggled with lockdown and not seeing friends - is it so hard to imagine some children might do too?

Not to mention so many people thinking missing a week off school for a holiday is dreadful, but 6 months out of school isn’t the end of the world. Children go backwards over the 6 week summer holiday, 6 months out is definitely going to have an impact. Just because it’s happening to all of them doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. I’m a teacher and I think term time holidays can be really bad for some children (for others not a jot, depends on the child, parents, their normal attendance and how academic they are), and I think this time out of school is going to be catastrophic.

OP, feel for you. Hopefully by August things will be a lot more settled and your little one can go back full time as planned. I have been juggling looking after my baby with my husband whilst working and it’s absolutely draining. We’ve been doing it less than 2monthe once you take holidays out, and it’s been HARD. The thought of doing it long term is horrendous.

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:28:10

what do you mean nothi g is happening to them? Their access to education, interactions with friends and family, choice of activities, in escence their whole routine and way of living has changed. That's what is happening to them.

They will be ok. That's what I mean. Nothing really detrimental is happening. This isn't going to have a negative impact on a nursery child. Yes things have changed, but they will be ok.

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:29:05

It really annoys me when people say this won’t hurt children. I, and many other adults, have struggled with lockdown and not seeing friends - is it so hard to imagine some children might do too?

I was relent meaning their futures. Sorry for annoying you.

TitianaTitsling Sat 23-May-20 17:29:39

YADNU And am so fed up with the sneering when it's mentioned that children and young people are being affected by lockdown!

Clutterbugsmum Sat 23-May-20 17:30:24

Of course children are suffering if schools don't go back until September (in England) then children have had little schooling for 6 months. That's a lot of missed learning and it will affect children. And yes depending on the child it will be to a lesser or greater extent.

Drainedbeyondbeleaf1 Sat 23-May-20 17:30:34

I feel exactly the same op, I could have written your post. I’m in Ireland and things are very strict here (we can only go 5km still , not much open etc) and schools not back until September. We shut down earlier than the U.K. too , I too was fine (well as fine as we can be with wfh etc) with September but I honestly can’t handle the idea of very part-time , different hours for siblings , more trying to wth with small kids around. I can’t do it with my job.
I honestly can’t even imagine how it will work , the logistics of it all...
I’m really hoping like the above poster that there’s a huge difference in 3 months and it is a good amount of time.
I mean if in three months things aren’t hugely changed then our economy will be so fckt anyway that we might as well just close schools and teach all our kids ourselves ( I’m a former teacher ) and live off benefits as I won’t have a job like thousand others.

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:30:36

Not to mention so many people thinking missing a week off school for a holiday is dreadful, but 6 months out of school isn’t the end of the world.

I don't think missing a week of school is dreadful.

Children go backwards over the 6 week summer holiday,

Backwards? What do you mean?

TitianaTitsling Sat 23-May-20 17:30:43

mason do you currently have an affected nursery age child?

Devlesko Sat 23-May-20 17:31:38

I wish they were doing that here.
We need to think more about who needs to work and how much money we actually need rather than want.
There are going to be many redundancies, so maybe childcare won't be an issue for many anyway.

modgepodge Sat 23-May-20 17:32:06

‘Backwards’ - academically, children are able to do less in September Than they were in July. They forget stuff in the 6 weeks off.

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:32:53

mason do you currently have an affected nursery age child?

Not sure why this is relevant?

I am able to understand that children will be fine in spite of missing some school/nursery without having one in each year group. Kids have missed chunks of schooling before and managed to succeed in life.

Jobseeker19 Sat 23-May-20 17:33:10

My son has his y6 Sats next year I wonder how they will go down.

iamtheoneandonlyyy Sat 23-May-20 17:33:48

You're not allowed to be ageist on here except about children.

jbonsor Sat 23-May-20 17:33:59

@modgepodge I agree. I think this will affect kids, specially if it's long term. I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but another year of this is just ridiculous, and frankly I think is an over reaction when there is not even enough data to confirm how deadly this virus is (BMJ article says up to 78% of those who get the virus might be asymptomatic), Chris Witty said himself only a very small fraction of people will be hospitalised if becoming infected, yet we are taking these life changing measures?

masonmason Sat 23-May-20 17:34:02

‘Backwards’ - academically, children are able to do less in September Than they were in July. They forget stuff in the 6 weeks off.

This isn't something I have encountered, however, even if children do forget stuff, children can relearn stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »