Talk

Advanced search

253 people under the age of 60 with no other underlying health issues had died from Covid-19 in the UK

(601 Posts)
whenthejoyreturns Sat 23-May-20 14:33:32

I'm in no way trying to minimise these deaths at all but I wondered if people were aware of this number. Every day we hear the number of deaths, but this is never broken down into categories that we can relate to ourselves.
30 people under the age of 45 with no other underlying health issues had died from Covid-19 in the UK.
AIBU to want people to know this because I don't think enough people realise.

DahliaDay Sat 23-May-20 14:34:49

Yes all the deaths are grim, no matter the age

coronabeer23 Sat 23-May-20 14:36:24

I agree with you. It’s a tragedy for those who are affected and their families but it doesn’t warrant the breakdown of the economy and education for the vast majority of families. We should shield the vulnerable and enable those who are at lowest risk to start to rebuild our economy

PiggyPokkyFool Sat 23-May-20 14:37:22

I am surprised how small that number is actually.
All deaths are a tragedy and it does show how well our lockdown is working.

whenthejoyreturns Sat 23-May-20 14:37:27

After reading about a 4 year old being left covered in poo by a teacher for 45 minutes, I think it's about time people start thinking more rationally.

dancemom Sat 23-May-20 14:37:52

Can I add to that "no KNOWN health conditions".

Post mortems not routinely carried out on anyone who has tested positive for Covid19 so of this tiny number of under 45s they could have had an unknown diagnosis or underlying health condition also.

cardibach Sat 23-May-20 14:39:29

Can I point out that an underlying health condition could be something like asthma or type 1 diabetes that are not life limiting when well controlled? These people weren’t at deaths door before the virus.

whenthejoyreturns Sat 23-May-20 14:46:41

Totally agree but there have been a total of 300 deaths including people with underlying health conditions in the under 45s. Still a very small number in relation to death from other things.

Lindy2 Sat 23-May-20 14:58:30

Out of a population of around 66 million that's 0.00035606%.

All deaths from this virus are tragic because it should never have happened but it does put the actual risk of dying into a bit more perspective.

I believe we did need to lockdown to slow the spread. With cases doubling every couple of days we were quickly going to reach the point where hospitals were full and people would be dying without treatment. We needed to slow the spread so everyone who would survive with hospital treatment actually got that treatment.

It looks like it's not the actual virus that is particularly deadly but the number of people it can infect at any one time if left uncontrolled that is the biggest danger.

These figures also don't really take account of people who survive but are very ill and who might not ever quite fully recover.

onalongsabbatical Sat 23-May-20 14:59:50

How high would it have been without lockdown though?

HereIamin2020 Sat 23-May-20 15:00:56

Covid 19 roughly doubles your risk of dying this year, at whatever age you get it. So the numbers are small and we should take that into account.

But underlying conditions can be very mild where people would be expected to live for years.

And morbidity is also important to consider. The impact of a stay on a ventilator can be significant. Cognitive impairment particularly concerns me, as does the need for life long dialysis.

But we will all have to make our own risk assessments for ourselves eventually. A significant proportion of people will decide restaurants/travel/entertainment is not for them anymore. There will be economic consequences from this, with or without lockdown and we can’t escape from that.

arethereanyleftatall Sat 23-May-20 15:01:00

'No known conditions' hasn't included obesity I don't think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chicchicchicchiclana Sat 23-May-20 15:03:59

It's no comfort to the millions of people who do have underlying health issues though is it?

arethereanyleftatall Sat 23-May-20 15:04:22

Ah, I read your op wrong. I thought you were saying it's a high number, but actually your subsequent posts suggest you're saying it's the opposite.

SandysMam Sat 23-May-20 15:06:12

I hate this!! I have diabetes (type 1). I work hard, contribute to society, have 2 small kids and lots of friends and family. My condition is well managed and I lead a normal life. There are millions like me. It is not ok to justify my death because I had underlying health conditions as if it doesn’t matter. I’m no more ready or prepared to die than you are if you got hit by a truck. I’m fucking sick of it.

arethereanyleftatall Sat 23-May-20 15:09:33

You're right @Chicchicchicchiclana
It's very scary for the elderly, or those with underlying health conditions.
But I do think we need to concentrate now on the fact that the risk is very low for the under 65s with no underlying conditions and if they are a healthy weight. This large group of people need to stop being scared by the media comments and get back out in to work to get the economy going, so that the country can finance protecting the vulnerable.

mummymeister Sat 23-May-20 15:10:21

Threads like this are really difficult to respond to because, quite frankly it depends what your own personal risk (or perceived risk) is doesnt it. Yes, in the grand scheme of things its a very low number. but all those saying lets just shield the vulnerable and the rest of us get on with it are completely missing the point about ease of transmission. The only way that you could do this and shield the vulnerable would be to ship all the vulnerable people off to holding camps where those looking after them./coming into contact with them are also locked in. They would then all be just sitting it out until when? when we get a vaccine? when the r is tiny? Because this is the problem. the virus doesnt spread, people spread it. And whilst you might be Ok with no known conditions your partner/child/mother/sister/best friend might have issues.

I am in several risk categories - obese, asthmatic, post menopause and have a child with a congenital heart defect. so I will look at this differently from you I suspect because really I dont want myself or my child to risk this. Neither does my Dh, my other children, their partners, my parents, sisters their families etc etc.

I used to manage a mortuary and one of things that always shocked me was the number of people who under a pm were found to have other conditions that they didnt know about - kidney disease, severe liver disease, heart defects etc. They may have died from e.g a stab wound but it was obvious when you looked inside that further down the line they would find out about these severe conditions though up until then would have not even been troubled by them.

TheFlis12345 Sat 23-May-20 15:14:28

OP you missed one key word, ‘known’. Some of them may well have had an underlying health condition but not known about it. You regularly hear of fit, healthy young people dropping dead in the middle of a run or football match because a condition they had no idea about suddenly kicked in.

LockdownLisa Sat 23-May-20 15:15:16

sandysmam, I agree! My DH(50) has mild asthma, controlled by blue and brown inhalers. He runs, is a healthy weight, works full time. Unless you saw him use his inhaler, you'd never know. However, if he died of Covid19, he would have been one of those 'ah, but he had underlying health conditions'- as if his death doesn't really count.

Loads of healthy people have underlying health conditions that we don't know about so OP, I find your argument spurious. What are you actually trying to tell us?

DishingOutDone Sat 23-May-20 15:15:28

Does this include healthcare workers/NHS etc? You know it always makes me think if this thing is as trivial as some posters make out, why are so many healthcare workers dying and why are doctors and nurses so scared of it, having witnessed what it can do? Surely they would know the risks better than you OP?

EarlGreywithLemon Sat 23-May-20 15:18:08

I have a congenital heart defect. My life expectancy is 100% normal. Pre pregnancy I used to run 25k and do several HIIT classes every week. I have a 6 month old baby.
Are you telling me I’m expendable because I have a pre-existing health condition?

SudokuBook Sat 23-May-20 15:18:47

It looks like it's not the actual virus that is particularly deadly but the number of people it can infect at any one time if left uncontrolled that is the biggest danger.

This, it’s the exponential growth that’s the real problem

Bagelsandbrie Sat 23-May-20 15:20:49

@SandysMam completely agree.

FOJN Sat 23-May-20 15:22:54

With cases doubling every couple of days we were quickly going to reach the point where hospitals were full and people would be dying without treatment.

People are dying without treatment. Many NHS services were stopped so that there was capacity to treat covid patients. There are also people who haven't sought treatment because they didn't want to burden the NHS. I'm glad our hospitals weren't overwhelmed but when we talk of shielding the vulnerable and letting others get back to normal it means we accept an increase in transmission rates which will continue to have an impact on health care provision, one most likely to affect the vulnerable and shielded.

annakd12 Sat 23-May-20 15:23:20

@SandysMam this hits the nail on the head! Couldn't agree more!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »