Talk

Advanced search

How many clothes do you buy for your kids, and how much do you spend?

(135 Posts)
LipsyGirl Sat 23-May-20 14:26:53

OH is going on about I’m spending too much and buying too many clothes for DS.

I have

X6 vests
X5 sleepsuits
X3 sleeping bags
X2 pajmamas
X2 jeans
X3 jumpers
X4 tracksuits
X9 t shirts
X1 coat
X2 trainers

I really don’t think that’s too much at all

How much do you buy?

GrimmsFairytales Sat 23-May-20 14:29:21

How old is DS?

Redcarandthebluecarhadarace Sat 23-May-20 14:30:50

I'd say mine have double that easily (although we're lucky that lots of it has been presents)

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 23-May-20 14:31:30

I spend about £50 each, quarterly.
It sounds like mine are a bit older though

ScarfLadysBag Sat 23-May-20 14:31:44

A fortune! grin But she is PFB and I enjoy buying nice clothes for her so it's one of the things I choose to spend some disposable income on.

autumnboys Sat 23-May-20 14:31:47

Yes, how old? And where Are the clothes from? If it’s all Tesco, can’t see the problem. If it’s all designer, he may have a point.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sat 23-May-20 14:34:31

Not much. Mine are both under 9. They get a paor of trainers, a pair of wellies, and a pair of school shoes. These are replaced as they are worn out. I'll add a pair of boots over winter and a pair of flip flops in summer. We don't spend a lot on any of these.

They have a winter coat, a rain jacket, and a couple of hoodies each (again, replaced when outgrown).

We get a few hand me downs of trousers and tops so we only add to that if we see something we love or they need a specific item.

I recently bought eldest some summer clothes from Tesco when they had 50% off everything. I spent £40 and that's her done til the autumn.

Cosyblanky Sat 23-May-20 14:34:56

Sounds like a basic wardrobe, covering what's needed.

Burgerandchipvan Sat 23-May-20 14:35:00

On cost I suppose it depends where they're from? 9 designer t-shirts is going to cost significantly more than a couple of multi packs from ASDA.

JustaScratch Sat 23-May-20 14:35:40

I don't really keep track, but probably too much. DD is six and has grown out of all her clothes during lockdown so have just spent about £200 on a Zara kids order but the intention is that that is her summer wardrobe and we won't really get her anything else.

ScarfLadysBag Sat 23-May-20 14:36:31

I don't want to work out how much, but I would say easily more than £500 a year blush I tend to buy mostly from smaller retailers, which is more expensive. And she's still little so doesn't fit things for as long. I'll probably be able to sell a lot of them when we are done, though, as they are good quality.

Beamur Sat 23-May-20 14:36:39

You only need a day of a baby being sicky or leaky nappies and you can get through several changes of clothes. I think your list is quite conservative.
My DD is older and school uniform aside I probably spend £20 a month in bits and pieces, like socks, tops etc and a big shop as seasons change if she's grown out of last year's. Boots and shoes are expensive, I've just shelled out for some converse high tops.

ludothedog Sat 23-May-20 14:38:48

Clothes including pj's and underwear are given at xmas and birthdays. New school clothes every year, new outfit for xmas parties and maybe €50 at the beginning of summer for seasonal wear.

Cam2020 Sat 23-May-20 14:41:34

My daughter is older (3) but I buy things as we go along and we see things we like. Nothing very expensive, mostly supermarkets or Next, as I don't want to upset if clothes get ruined.

LaPampa Sat 23-May-20 14:45:21

What does he propose your son wears? And does he help with the laundry?

I don’t think it sounds too many items particularly if that is all he has at any one time and things replaced as he grows. But depending on where you bought them from he might have a point on cost. Bit hard to tell really without any other info. I’m assuming as you don’t mention underwear and you do mention sleeping bags the child is still quite young.

FWIW - my son has way more than 9 tee shirts because he gets a lot of hand me downs from older cousin and when he was a baby wearing vests he had more than 6 as I didn’t want to be constantly tied to the washing machine.

RedRedWines Sat 23-May-20 14:50:00

My sons 7 months and he has less than that but 1. I could only get it from the supermarket or online so not as enjoyable shopping for it. 2. He’s growing rapidly and outgrows things in a second. 3. I wash clothes a lot and have a fairly quick turnaround so was finding there were things he never got to wear when we had more items in smaller sizes

Bananalanacake Sat 23-May-20 15:06:35

My 5 year old has 50 short sleeve Tshirts, 60 long sleeve tshirts, 60 pairs of pants, over 40 pairs of trousers, over 25 dresses and 20 jumpers. I also have a 3 year old so these will get used again. What I buy for her myself is all 2nd hand, we have a good second hand shop near us, I buy bundles on Ebay and go to Kinder Flohmarkts, they are popular in Germany, we also don't have uniform. I sell everything they grow out of, the really grotty worn out stuff goes to textile recycling. At a guess I spend about 10 - 20 euros a month so not a massive amount.

LipsyGirl Sat 23-May-20 15:11:27

My DS is 1 I have probably spent about £250 most clothes are from next. I have a few things from H&M

LipsyGirl Sat 23-May-20 15:13:26

I will probably spend another £40 at George and just buy him basic clothes to wear to nursery.

GrimmsFairytales Sat 23-May-20 15:15:14

£250 seems an awful lot of money considering the small amount of items listed in your OP.

LipsyGirl Sat 23-May-20 15:16:50

@LaPampa he does help yes, I think it’s because when my son goes to a dress size I buy the months leading up to his change of size so say £50 per month so maybe it seems I’m always buying clothes

stickerqueen Sat 23-May-20 15:33:34

I buy things when they need them.
ds 2 needed summers clothes cost me £80.00 in asda and he has everything he will need for summer months. £20.00 in shoe zone

dd 12 is a different story it cost a bloody fortune to clothe her now shes in adult clothes 2 tracksuits and 2 tshirts cost me £150 last month and she still needs some more things and trainers so at least another £200 depending what trainers she wants.
I loved buying clothes when she was small but not some much now

LipsyGirl Sat 23-May-20 15:34:57

@GrimmsFairytales

X6 vests (Gifts)
X5 sleepsuits (£10)
X2 Pajamas (£10)
X3 sleeping bags (Gifts)
X2 jeans (£25)
X3 jumpers (£25)
X4 tracksuits (£60)
X9 t shirts (£20)
X1 coat (gift)
X2 trainers (£70)

I forgot I also have
X1 dungarees (£20)

GrimmsFairytales Sat 23-May-20 15:41:38

Personally I think £130 on 4 tracksuits and 2 pairs of trainers for a 1year old is a huge waste of money. The other items are a much more reasonable price, but I can see why your OH might be annoyed at the amount of money spent on shoes / tracksuits.

Isawamagpie Sat 23-May-20 15:46:38

Gosh I am clearly in the minority, I've "treated" DS to clothes from frugi due to them being ultra cute and organic, good for the planet and last forever. These totalled around £60 mark but will last the year, clarks shoes twice a year, but everything else is brought off shpock or chairty shops as I refuse to buy into "fast fashion" for DS, who will grow out of things quickly.
I also don't buy into faddy clothing items ie. Paw patrol or tshirts with slogans all over -that won't be any good for passing on to another child after DS is finished - ie charity or selling on.

I think what people buy for kids these days is absolutely crazy, low quality items that don't last kids 5 minutes.

I also buy most gifts for DS second hand, and pass on afterward.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »