Talk

Advanced search

To think that Dominic Cummings DID break the rules?

(315 Posts)
LumaLou Sat 23-May-20 13:41:43

The day after reportedly developing coronavirus symptoms, Dominic Cummings and his family travelled 200 miles to self isolate.

While I can understand the desire to be near family, AIBU to think they should have isolated at home?

Many families in the UK have faced situations where sticking to the rules has at best inconvenient, at worst traumatic. They have managed to do so with less of a support network and less resources at their disposal than the Cummings family.

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sat 23-May-20 13:47:11

Yes they did break the rules. Unfortunately he's one of those people who believe themselves to be above the rules because they're super special.

Even more unfortunately, he has enough pull with the PM that he'll get away with it, thus making him more convinced of his specialness.

NewAccountForCorona Sat 23-May-20 13:49:05

Of course he broke the rules and everyone knows it.

It's interesting that every government official tweet has been ratio'd. Everyone knows it's all bollocks, and that none of them have the moral strength to stand up for what is right.

Judiwench Sat 23-May-20 13:50:16

Of course he did.

Baileyscheesecake Sat 23-May-20 13:50:34

The rules are very clear and he definitely broke them. I don’t understand anyone voting Yabu. You may understand his reasons for breaking them but he still broke the rules.

BiggerBoat1 Sat 23-May-20 13:50:43

Of course he broke the rules. He should have been self-isolating.

He probably made most of that policy and he still doesn't think it applies to him. Arrogant tosser.

He probably had to fuel up and drove 200 to potentially share his infection with his wider family.

Absolute arsehole, but I bet he won't have to resign as anyone else would because there'd be nobody to work the Boris-Puppet if he went.

KrisAkabusi Sat 23-May-20 13:51:54

Did this really need another thread?

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Sat 23-May-20 13:52:58

There is no question that he broke the rules.

Very interesting how he is immune from getting the boot.

tinytemper66 Sat 23-May-20 13:53:18

They are either friendless in London or they have bent the rules to make it apply to them. Others would have faced the police or be fined.

seriousandloyal Sat 23-May-20 13:53:27

Of course he broke the rules and it is insulting that Government ministers are issuing weasel statements in support of him implying that he didn't.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-May-20 13:53:34

What @KrisAkabusi said.

BiggerBoat1 Sat 23-May-20 14:04:38

I didn't realise there was another thread, but this needs to be everywhere. It is a scandal that the Government should not be allowed to bury so the more threads the merrier. Get on twitter, Facebook etc too.

LumaLou Sat 23-May-20 14:09:26

@Sparklingbrook and @KrisAkabusi

This question was specifically about the rules. I wanted to find out if I my opinion was reasonable, or not, hence asking AIBU.

If you don’t want to take part in my AIBU that’s ok, I won’t take it personally smile

LumaLou Sat 23-May-20 14:12:19

@ BiggerBoat I agree, I don’t think that just because one person has raised this on Mumsnet then it no longer gets discussed.

2old4thissite Sat 23-May-20 14:14:45

Yep he clearly did. Which is why Downing Street and all the ministers piling in to defend him is so bizarre. I'd be distancing myself from him or saying nothing if I was them.
Gotta love police commentswink
New account for corona I don't understand ratio'd. Am I being dense? What does that mean?

Ohdeariedear Sat 23-May-20 14:17:59

Of course he did. And the pathetic response today from Downing Street is the clearest demonstration so far that it’s one set of rules for them and one for the rest of us plebs. It’s utterly sickening.

Figgygal Sat 23-May-20 14:18:54

Of course he did
But he will front it out

WeaselKnickers Sat 23-May-20 14:19:43

There is no question that he broke the rules.

The rules are very clear and he definitely broke them

The rules are not very clear at all, and I suspect he didn't break them!

Here are the Regulations as originally made
www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

Reg 6(1) says
During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

"Reasonable excuse" is a vague concept. It's not defined, although some examples are given. I think the prosecution might have trouble convincing a court that beyond reasonable doubt he didn't have reasonable excuse.

Neolara Sat 23-May-20 14:20:11

Of course he did.

AnxiousAnnie13 Sat 23-May-20 14:22:09

Of course he did and it's insulting to everyone's intelligence to act like what he did wasn't obviously against the rules. Someone with symptoms travelled a long way to go and stay with family. In what possible twisting of the rules would this be allowed.

NewAccountForCorona Sat 23-May-20 14:22:36

It means that there are more comments (usually disagreeing) than likes (agreeing) on a tweet.

If you look at Gove's tweet, for example, there are 7,500 likes and 17,700 comments, which is pretty unusual.

Matt Hancock's has 5,000 likes and 15,500 comments in the space of an hour.

WrongKindOfFace Sat 23-May-20 14:22:45

Of course he broke the rules. It’s disgusting that they’re even trying to pretend it was acceptable.

GeorgeTheFirst Sat 23-May-20 14:24:02

Of course he broke the rules. This is utterly vile

Deelish75 Sat 23-May-20 14:24:33

Yes. It wasn't essential travel.

Apparently they were going to an empty house to isolate as a family - would that be classed as a holiday/second home? We were explicitly told not to do that.

Also struggling to understand how the Prime Minister's right hand man can't pull strings and get emergency childcare and a supermarket delivery slot when needed.

WrongKindOfFace Sat 23-May-20 14:28:36

What we were told we must do:

Can I leave my home if I'm self-isolating?

If you or someone you live with has symptoms of coronavirus:

do not leave your home for any reason – if you need food or medicine, order it online or by phone, or ask someone to deliver it to your home
do not have visitors in your home – including friends and family
do any exercise at home – you can use your garden, if you have one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »