Advanced search

How can I stop this from happening?

(14 Posts)
ShambalaHambala Sat 23-May-20 12:42:29

Moved in to a new house last year. All fine until people started knocking on the door asking for the previous landlord. I explain every time that he no longer lives here. Most are fine about it, but a few people have been really rude. One accused me of lying because his car was in the drive. One just started shouting at me telling me I need to tell him where he lives. One woman almost in tears when I said he no longer lives here. It's happening every week. I've even put a note on the front door saying he no longer lives here but that didn't work. He's obviously pissed off a lot of people. When I look on companies House his old company have failed to file their accounts so I'm guessing he has a lot of debt? How do I stop people banging on my door and giving me abuse for something that's nothing to do with me? It is really quite stressful and I find it triggering because I left an abusive relationship a year ago so people banging on the door and shouting at me leaves me very scared

ShambalaHambala Sat 23-May-20 12:43:26

(his car wasn't in the drive, I just so happen to drive the same car as him. Very common car and colour)

ShambalaHambala Sat 23-May-20 12:45:39

I've done some digging and our address is still on one of their websites.

chipsandpeas Sat 23-May-20 12:46:35

i dont think there is anything to completely stop it, but id get something like a ring doorbell so at least you can speak to the people without answering the door

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 23-May-20 12:47:07

You can’t really stop people approaching but if they have me abuse I’d say I’m calling the police unless you get off my property and if you return I will have you done for harassment!

ShambalaHambala Sat 23-May-20 12:47:31

@chipsandpeas thanks, that's a good idea.

Atalune Sat 23-May-20 12:47:42

That’s tricky as the note hasn’t worked.

Can you rewrite it for something more forceful?

Xx no longer resides here and I have no forwarding contact information. Please take all enquiries to the local police. Thank you for your understanding.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 23-May-20 12:48:07

If they gave me abuse*

valentinoandme Sat 23-May-20 12:50:18

I'd also get onto him to get your address removed from the website!

ShambalaHambala Sat 23-May-20 12:52:06

I really need the address removed but no idea how to contact him as he's changed his number. Hidden all email addresses.

yelyah22 Sat 23-May-20 12:53:34

Try using WhoIs or similar to find out who owns the website maybe, and ask them nicely to remove the address as it's no longer correct? That'd be my first try.

NearlyGranny Sat 23-May-20 12:58:33

Alert Companies House that your address is still incorrectly linked to the previous owner and his company. They will get onto it.

tawnygrisettes Sat 23-May-20 13:00:19

I'd be most worried about the address still being on the website. I wonder if the information commissioner's office could get it removed/taken down?

LouiseTrees Sat 23-May-20 13:24:13

First thing is to advise companies house that the business is not operating from there and to advise whoever his previous accountant was of the same. Maybe hire someone to track him down, I’d certainly try for free by looking on social media etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »