Talk

Advanced search

to ask about A&E policy at the moment

(19 Posts)
narisha99 Sat 23-May-20 12:15:39

Just heard that FIL has had a fall just outside his house, has injured his back and will be another 2 hours before the ambulance comes. His neighbours are with him and looking after him, have spoken to him and he his not distressed.

We live 2 hours away and trying to decide if we should leave now to be with him. What is the hospital policy at the moment, will we be allowed to accompany him - or visit or will we be told to stay away?

Zilla1 Sat 23-May-20 12:17:31

Sorry to hear that, OP. Unless I've missed the relevant location, may I recommend phoning the nearest hospital with A and E to your FIL's house and asking them.

Good luck.

SandieCheeks Sat 23-May-20 12:18:14

Only he will be allowed in to the hospital.

narisha99 Sat 23-May-20 12:18:35

Gosh yes! What a simple solution :-)

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 23-May-20 12:18:41

You'll likely be told to stay away. My Mum's husband has been admitted with sepsis twice since lockdown started & she's not been able to accompany him either time. She had to wait outside when he was discharged both times & a nurse handed over outside.

ArriettyJones Sat 23-May-20 12:19:43

Not sure. Have you tried ringing HIS local hospital for advice?

narisha99 Sat 23-May-20 12:21:59

Actually - just looked at the website and it's very clear that there are no vistitors - so I guess we sit tight :-(

Twigletfairy Sat 23-May-20 12:23:34

You'll very likely be told to stay away

TinnedPearsForPudding Sat 23-May-20 12:24:56

No visitors allowed in "my" A&E at the moment - unless need to assist with translation / acutely confused patient

Elouera Sat 23-May-20 12:27:26

Sorry to hear that. All A&E's have clear, separate parts to keep covid separate from other injuries, so help reduce exposure. Hopefully he will will have some xrays, analgesia and get home later today. Is there anyone at home to help him with washing, cooking etc?

MouthBreathingRage Sat 23-May-20 12:29:22

Sorry, I very much doubt you'll be allowed in. Wasn't allowed anyone with me when I had to go a couple of months back, but he'll be in the best hands I'm sure. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Zilla1 Sat 23-May-20 12:30:49

Sorry OP, to be clear, I wasn't trying to be funny but to be helpful as, unless I missed it, you didn't even state what nation you were in for someone to be able to state what any national policy would be if you FIL's nation has a national policy. I don't try and be snarky and say 'google it'.

Good luck.

narisha99 Sat 23-May-20 12:46:28

@Zilla1 - No it was helpful - I wasn't thinking of the obvious!

Ambulance has arrived now (much quicker than expected) - they suspect a broken hip!

Am guess he will be in for a while, am guessing I'll find out more later. I presume we will be able to get stuff to him some how

Zilla1 Sat 23-May-20 12:50:00

No worries, OP. I hope he sails through surgery and mobilises and leaves hospital quickly (depending on the break, he might be in for a surprisingly short time, depending on home circumstances [not on the top floor of a flat]).

Good luck.

Zilla1 Sat 23-May-20 12:51:49

regarding my stupidly subjective use of 'surprising', I suppose might be less than a fortnight depending on if broken, how fixed and general condition.

good luck.

OnlyJudyCanJudgeMe Sat 23-May-20 13:05:44

He could be in for as little as 3 days. That’s how long my mum & dad’s next door neighbour was in after breaking their hip & having it operated on. This was just after Christmas.

Witchend Sat 23-May-20 13:29:52

I went to A&E with ds on Thursday and didn't even get in as they sent us straight up to the children's ward.
They were triaging on the door.

Alsohuman Sat 23-May-20 13:35:34

A tip for you, OP, once he’s discharged by the orthopaedic team make sure he’s sent home. The ward they’ll move him to otherwise is likely to be akin to a circle from hell and he’ll deteriorate alarmingly quickly if he finds himself there. Your husband needs to advocate for him and be very assertive.

narisha99 Sat 23-May-20 15:16:48

Thanks all - He's being xrayed at the moment and they anticipate an operation tonight, so hopefully it won't be too long before we will have a clearer picture of what to expect.

Also found out it's fine to drop off stuff for him - just need to go to security office. So will go up tomorrow to drop off stuff for him

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »