Talk

Advanced search

To ask about your sleep!

(16 Posts)
3LittleMonkeyz Sat 23-May-20 09:57:15

How much do you sleep on an average night? Are you a night waker and/or struggle to get to sleep? Are you an early bird or a night owl, or neither?

I'm trying to improve my sleep, and have a lot after a lifetime of insomnia but I still don't ever get my 8 hours and usually get by on much less. Problem is everybody I speak to has sleep issues too in some way.

catgirl1976 Sat 23-May-20 10:06:55

I wake up at 4:30 am every morning at the moment and can’t get back to sleep. Not through choice but lock down seems to have given me insomnia too along with crazy dreams.

Sorry OP I’m not much help

Macncheeseballs Sat 23-May-20 10:10:04

I generally sleep v well unless I've been drinking! then I wake in the night. I have no screens in the bedroom, I read in bed every night and I exercise a little bit every day.

Sunnytimesahead Sat 23-May-20 10:11:08

I'm not much help either! My sleep patterns are bad due to working nights for the past 2 years. I find when I'm on leave I can get back into a better pattern. On nights off I usually wake once to use the loo so this disturbs me anyway. More recently I got into the habit of waking up every 2 hours through the night and then napping in the day. Most of the people I work with have trouble with sleeping too.
I would say I am a night owl anyway and that's why I started working nights.
Sorry I don't have any advice!

rebblbebbl Sat 23-May-20 10:11:13

On a good night I get 4-5 hours, but often less. I do all the right things re "sleep hygeine" (though I hate that term). I go to sleep quickly, usually about 11pm, then wake between 3 and 4 and don't usually go back to sleep. My dad was the same, so I think it's in my genes and try not to worry about it too much. But it's hard when the media is constantly telling me I need more.

zscaler Sat 23-May-20 10:13:17

I used to wake repeatedly through the night until my HP prescribed me a low does of Amitriptyline. It worked wonders.

KatnissK Sat 23-May-20 10:15:01

Before kids I was a great sleeper! Used to go to bed around 10pm, up at 6am for work. Maybe a bit later at weekends but to be honest I'm more of an early bird so unless I'm going out I have no interest in staying up too late. Luckily DH is similar. I didn't often used to wake up at night; I don't often go to the loo or anything. Kids have ruined that now though! I still find falling asleep easy but I'm not often left to sleep for long!

vodkaredbullgirl Sat 23-May-20 10:15:02

My sleep is crap especially as I work night shifts. 4 hours sleep after a night shift, when not im trying to catch up on sleep.

orangeicecream Sat 23-May-20 10:20:49

I sleep about 7 hours per night (12-7) on a weeknight... Maybe a couple of waking during that. At the weekend I probably sleep the same amount (12-7) but spend a couple of hours dozing before getting up properly at 9 ish. But my kids are now teens so I can.

TypingError Sat 23-May-20 10:55:09

I wake up at 4:30 am every morning at the moment and can’t get back to sleep. Not through choice but lock down seems to have given me insomnia too along with crazy dreams
Same. Very vivid dreams the past few weeks. Then come midday I feel knackered.

Neeks888 Sat 23-May-20 11:03:50

I sleep 10pm to 6am/7am lately. I’m always tired at bedtime but can be woken in the night quite easily by nosies etc. and it’s sometimes difficult to get back to sleep. Lockdown has made me sleep better I think as not so stressed with all the usual rushing around for kids/work etc.

Camomila Sat 23-May-20 11:11:09

I'm lucky and sleep really well, I have DS2 in the cosleeper (one where the side can go up) and DS1 on the other side. Its lovely and snuggly.

I occasionally have weird dreams since lockdown, but only really if I have dinner late or something like takeaway.

Will be changing in 2m though as DS2 will be 6m so both DC will be sharing a room (DS2 in a bigger cot, DS1 back in his bed).

sugarfreehopefully Sat 23-May-20 11:36:55

I'm a pretty good sleeper usually get around 7-8 hours a night. I'm pretty militant about sleep as deprivation really effects my mood and I am horrible without sleep and can't function.

Always thought I was a night owl but actually i just need 7-8 hours, so early morning works well too. I can survive the odd night of 4 hours but two or more in a row and I feel it.

Stress is the main thing that disrupts my sleep, I'll wake and not be able to get back to sleep for hours. I use the breathe app when this happens to help get back to sleep or my thoughts just race.

Stopping alcohol was probably the best thing I've done for my sleep in my 40's. I was waking even with just one or two drinks at 3am ish. I sleep I disturbed again now.

I've used an eye mask & ear plugs since having DC's as I developed 'mum ear' and literally can hear a pin drop and couldn't sleep without them now.

No caffeine past midday, I sleep in a dark, well ventilated room, no TV in the bedroom, nice bed linen and a comfortable mattress, right bed clothes for the temperature, eat early.

Now I've written this I realise I actually give sleep quite a lot of thought every day but it works.

lljkk Sat 23-May-20 11:40:33

5.5-6.5 hrs/night. I can get by for a few nights in a row with only 2 hrs each. I get a lot of terminal insomnia. Different types of insomnia lifelong.

Macncheeseballs Sat 23-May-20 11:46:05

I also go go bed at the same time every night, 10/10.30 and rarely lie in

Want2beme Sat 23-May-20 11:48:11

Fortunately, I don't have trouble sleeping at all. I don't stress about what time I go to bed, but it's usually around 11.30pm. I flick through my mobile in bed, mumsnet, videos, that kind of thing and I get up between 7.30am & 8am. I'd say I get roughly 6-7 hours sleep. I know that I could go to bed earlier and get more hours, but I just don't want to go to bed that early. I really hope this sleeping pattern lasts my whole life.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »