Talk

Advanced search

To think it really doesn't matter what the rules are now?

(215 Posts)
Ultrasoft Sat 23-May-20 07:32:43

No-one's going to follow them.

I am a real rule follower. I've done everything by the book since day one and despite all the hysteria about people breaking rules, so has almost everyone I know.

But when the man who effectively runs the country and wrote the rules makes it clear they don't matter I feel like something of a mug for having been so "good".

I haven't seen my parents or been anywhere outside my town in weeks but he was fine with travelling all that distance with symptoms to see his.

AIBU to think whatever the next/current phase rules are it will be very difficult to get the public to comply?

NotJustACigar Sat 23-May-20 07:35:09

If he is a psychopath who is happy to endanger his loved ones along with the rest of us there's not a lot we can do about it. However we're better than that and it doesn't mean we have to sink to his level.

WoollyFoolly Sat 23-May-20 07:35:25

Agree completely. What's the bloody point of following the rules when arseholes like that flout them completely when symptomatic.

user8558 Sat 23-May-20 07:37:06

It's up to the individual if they want to risk their families health or not.

rosie1959 Sat 23-May-20 07:38:19

I try to follow the rules to the best of my ability. As far as I am concerned it is for the benefit of my family and friends. What anyone else does is not my concern unless I was just using that as an excuse to do as I pleased

jasjas1973 Sat 23-May-20 07:41:43

It's up to the individual if they want to risk their families health or not

Well lets all obey that new rule shall we? after all, its how the UK came to have one of the worlds highest death tolls!

He endangered members of the public by travelling, a 275 drive requires loo breaks/fuel/snacks and from reports from the NE, he was mixing with his family, who would have been shopping for him.

Ultrasoft Sat 23-May-20 07:41:51

But it's not only your own family's health at stake when you flout rules like that. It's the people at the services on the way (a 4yo would have needed the loo at least once, right and a trip of that distance would have needed petrol right?) and as we keep being told, it's the possible additional pressure on the "wrong" area's NHS. The rules were never about keeping individuals safe, but the greater good, although it is clear now 100% compliance was never necessary or intended.

Ifailed Sat 23-May-20 07:41:59

the "rules" were only guidance, however it looks like Cummings broke the law as his journey was not essential, as defined in the legislation.
One person breaking the law does not justify everyone else doing the same.

Spillinteas Sat 23-May-20 07:44:33

No I honestly think most people will follow them.

I think we’re at a point where people need to get back to work for money for basic necessity - but will continue to follow social distancing.

I know a hairdresser and their association are being very stringent about how they reopen. They’ve installed plexi glass ( I think that’s what it’s called) for at the reception, they are having to wear face masks and might not be able to offer blow dries just a wet cut ect

I also know a couple of people who own restaurant and bars and they are are moving tables so that social distancing can be kept. ( even though they know this is going to have a devastating blow to their business)

In our own office we have complied with social distancing measures and moved desks.

People are preparing to keep these measures up. And I do think most people are mindful to keep it up. I’ve followed the rules and everyone I know has too

Nobodies perfect but I think collectively we’ve actually done ok. The media only concentrates on the negative aspect as it sells and you’ve got to bare in mind the recovery rate is brilliant.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

ChasingRainbows19 Sat 23-May-20 07:44:40

I'm keeping myself safe. I can't be worrying about others it made me angry and that's no good for me. Majority I know are still keeping themselves safe too.

It's getting harder as it's been a while so more people will start bending the rules. When you see places like Matalan are open ( essential due to homewear?!) it does make me question why the friend I meet can't sit on my garden chair for chat instead of a busy park/walking area. However I don't want to be responsible for spreading it to those I love either.

KuckFnows Sat 23-May-20 07:45:35

Oh here we go...

I was waiting for a thread like this to appear

dementedma Sat 23-May-20 07:49:53

I agree with pp above. People need to get back to work and are finding ways to do so while minimising risk. The way shop workers have done since day 1. Another thread on here has posters saying they wont be back in offices etc till next year!! Its ludicrous. Most people can work safely if they walk, cycle, drive to their place of work - packed public transport is more of an issue admittedly. It is time for the media driven hysteria to subside and some practical common sense to apply.

fascinated Sat 23-May-20 07:57:45

Don’t we have the highest death toll because they told folk not to go to hospital unless they were really really ill?

mrs2468 Sat 23-May-20 08:07:26

@dementedma how do you expect people to social distance in an office as an example if everyone goes back. Most offices will only be able to handle 20%-30% occupancy to allow for social distancing so unless social distancing is removed or there is a vaccine before the end of the year then it will be next year. Not everyone works within cycling or walking distance either. It will be if you can work from home do so for the foreseeable to free up public transport for those who can’t.

attackedbycritters Sat 23-May-20 08:07:31

No we have the highest death toll because we waited longer than everyone else to lockdown

Monkeynuts18 Sat 23-May-20 08:10:27

Yeah, I agree with you OP.

I too have followed the rules since day one, despite being sceptical about the effectiveness of lockdown. I’ve got my reservations but I’m not an expert, and the people who are making the rules are, so I’ll do what they say. My parents haven’t seen my son( their only grandson) since mid-February.

But when the Scottish CMO, Professor ‘half a million people will die’ Ferguson, and Dominic Cummings are all clearly don’t think it’s necessary for them to follow the rules, then I question why the rest of us should.

Millions of parents have been desperately struggling because the government told them grandparents can’t help with childcare, even if grandparents live down the road. But Dominic Cummings can travel 250 miles to avail himself of grandparental childcare. Jesus wept.

cologne4711 Sat 23-May-20 08:10:27

No we have the highest death toll because we waited longer than everyone else to lockdown

There are other reasons but they're not relevant to this thread.

What is relevant is that he won't resign, because he's special, but everyone else in a high profile position who broke the rules, has.

whoopsivechangedagain Sat 23-May-20 08:10:41

The problem is, if Mr C resigns then the PM will essentially have no puppeteer to pull his strings. It will be interesting to see how Mr C is excused.

Ultrasoft Sat 23-May-20 08:11:15

DH's company has announced they're closing their flagship office because wfh has been such a success. Where wfh has worked there's no reason for people to go back and not doing so avoids crowding public transport, keeps cars off the road and of course saves the companies ££££

Monkeynuts18 Sat 23-May-20 08:13:16

@Ifailed

I don’t think the distinction as to whether he broke the law or flouted the government’s guidance is relevant. (FWIW I think he flouted both the law and the guidance). But either should be career-ending.

eeehbyegum Sat 23-May-20 08:14:23

@attackedbycritters I think @fascinated is correct here

Tellmetruth4 Sat 23-May-20 08:14:39

How many people did he and his wife infect on the way up at service stations? Isn’t Durham a Covid hotspot? How much is that down to them? Despite his wife’s article where he was supposedly bed bound, he was seen out an about so often he was seen by multiple members of the public.

Peregrina Sat 23-May-20 08:16:16

Oh here we go nothing! Look at how many people have been criticised for flouting the lockdown rules by going to beaches and beauty spots, yet when Dominic Cummings drives half the length of England it's apparently only his business and no one else's.

If the fine weather holds and with a Bank Holiday this Monday, it will be OK then if everyone goes to the beach?

eeehbyegum Sat 23-May-20 08:19:07

@Peregrina rules say you can go to the beach. Whilst I’m not doing the same - If people get infected it’s actually a better time than if they got infected in winter based on likely recovery due to high vitamin D.

Pleasenodont Sat 23-May-20 08:19:33

You never only put yourself and your own family at risk when you flout the rules, that was the whole point of staying at home in the first place- you endanger others and the NHS.

Cummings is a cock anyway, this really came as no surprise to me. Ironically the stay home, save the NHS slogan was probably his handy work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »