Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be disproportionately annoyed at my “thank you NHS flag”

(31 Posts)
Cornana Sat 23-May-20 05:14:14

I know AIBU, but hear me out.

Ordered NHsS flag off Ebay, mostly to stick in the front window to stop the woman across the road glaring at us for eating dinner instead of clapping on Thursday’s. I know this is probably considered equally as virtue signalling, but my neighbours LOVE their fireworks and tambourines and banging kitchen pans right now and I can’t stand another Thursday stood listening to it so the flag is my middle ground. (But that’s another story.)

Anyway, I’m staring at the flag and getting annoyed with it.

All the time I’ve seen the NHS.

The NHS is underfunded. The NHS website. Britain has the NHS.

Surely the flag should say “Thank you for the NHS?”

I know I was probably U for ordering this flag in the first place, but AIBU to be disproportionately annoyed at the flags phrasing of “Thank you NHS.”

It’s 5am and I have insomnia, if you couldn’t tell.

Cornana Sat 23-May-20 05:14:37

*NHS

Cornana Sat 23-May-20 05:15:13

Maybe I should complain less about grammar as clearly my own post has typos in the title alone

BananaChocolateLump Sat 23-May-20 05:18:36

Yabu. If you don't want to clap. Don't clap. It doesn't mean you hate the NHS. You don't need to fly a flag for them when no one gives a shit that for years they have been helping sick people whilst massively underfunded and continue to do so..

SecondStarFromTheRight Sat 23-May-20 05:21:01

I think you really need some sleep!

DesignedForLife Sat 23-May-20 05:23:06

Tippex?

MrsMaryBOOface Sat 23-May-20 05:25:06

I don't think it should say thank you FOR the NHS because then it's as if you are thanking a third party for giving us the NHS?
And then equally "thank you THE NHS" sounds a bit strange. Sorry grin

Wendigogo Sat 23-May-20 05:52:06

'Thank you NHS' seems right to me.

GlendaSugarbeanIsJudgingYou Sat 23-May-20 05:55:56

You could pop a ^ in between "You" and "NHS" in sharpie and write "The" above it.

Stuff like this bothers me too. Irrationally, but still...

Wagamamas Sat 23-May-20 06:01:17

It's a direct speech to NHS, it doesnt need THE. And i would hate your flag. So tacky.

Wagamamas Sat 23-May-20 06:02:23

Pedants corner is better than aibu for this.

MyOtherProfile Sat 23-May-20 06:02:35

Thank you NHS sounds perfectly right.

drinkingwineoutofamug Sat 23-May-20 06:02:43

Last clap next week (hopefully) no more cringing . No more burning at the stake of people who didn't clap.
I work nhs. Week 1 was nice by wk 4 tedious.
Enjoy your flag.

AgentProvocateur Sat 23-May-20 06:02:58

No, it shouldn’t. Unless you’re thanking someone (the Government?) for the NHS.

UnsureOfFuture Sat 23-May-20 06:04:23

I think because "National Health Service" and "NHS" are effectively proper nouns then no. You don't use the 'the'

You don't say "thank you to the Sophie"

3cats Sat 23-May-20 06:08:57

I think it should be:

Thank you, NHS

I agree that:

Thank you to the NHS

would also work fine.

CurlyEndive Sat 23-May-20 06:14:06

Agree with above. If it said “thank you for the NHS” you would be thanking someone else, not the NHS itself. I think that “thank you NHS workers” or “thank you to the NHS workers” would be more appropriate actually. “The NHS” feels to me like an inanimate object that you can’t really thank.

Clearly I need to get some sleep too!

BeltaneBride Sat 23-May-20 06:30:33

I think it because it addressing the NHS directly -or personification.
Does seem odd to thank an institution though. 'Thank you Wandsworth Borough' Thank you Home Office' we pay taxes to pay their salaries - they should be thanking us!

Thinkingabout1t Sat 23-May-20 06:30:52

We’re saying “Thank you, NHS”, like saying “Thank you, Cornana”. I would rather they NHS workers properly funded, and had adequate protective clothing in a pandemic. But that would make a very large flag.

user1498572889 Sat 23-May-20 06:32:41

😂 I hope you got some sleep. Things always seem better once you have slept.

AtaMarie Sat 23-May-20 06:32:47

You just need to add a comma. Thank you, NHS

AtaMarie Sat 23-May-20 06:33:30

If your neighbours are that judgy maybe they’ll add a comma for you?

Thinkingabout1t Sat 23-May-20 06:34:07

I would rather NHS workers were properly funded, etc! Lucky I’m not printing flags ....

FourPlasticRings Sat 23-May-20 06:41:47

Well, no, you're thanking the national health service workers really. So I suppose you could argue it should say, 'Thank you, NHS workers', but I think, 'Thank you NHS' is acceptable. Agree with PP that, 'Thank you for the NHS' would be weird- who are you thanking?

Also, was, 'Fuck off to the judgy arsehole at No. 7' sold out?

FourPlasticRings Sat 23-May-20 06:42:33

Yeah, actually there ought to be a comma, but surely you can add that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »