Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why Cummings is not trending on Twitter tonight?

(60 Posts)
chomalungma Fri 22-May-20 23:26:29

Durham is
Ferguson is
Laura Kuensburg is

But not Cummings. And he has been the main topic of conversation.

What's going on at Twitter?

jgjgjgjgjg Fri 22-May-20 23:30:38

Maybe because what he did is exactly what most people would do in reality when both parents are unwell (potentially seriously) and they have no other child care? What were his other options? Hire a temporary nanny i suppose, and put her at risk too?

AJGranny Fri 22-May-20 23:31:25

Twitter is drowning in right wing bot accounts, it actually makes the platform annoying to use at times. I imagine that their accounts are busy keeping something else trending. Plus, no-one is surprised when a conservative turns out to be a lying scum bag, it's just not news it happens so often.

ZombieFan Fri 22-May-20 23:33:25

Oh give it a break, he is a human being who cares about his parents. Most human beings would react the same way in his situation.

chomalungma Fri 22-May-20 23:34:31

Maybe because what he did is exactly what most people would do in reality when both parents are unwel

You are missing the point.

Why is Ferguson, Durham and Laura Kuensburg trending - but not Cummings?

Bestbe Fri 22-May-20 23:34:44

Because the Tory bots are out in force and botching about Stephen Kinnock.

Letseatgrandma Fri 22-May-20 23:35:59

I agree, OP-it’s bonkers.

chomalungma Fri 22-May-20 23:36:53

I wonder how the Twitter trending algorithm works?

BudgieHammockBananaSmuggler Fri 22-May-20 23:38:56

He can’t have been that ill if he managed to drive almost 300 miles in one go. Seems doubtful that whenever he has needed childcare in the past, he has had to do the same journey as there are no other options closer to home.

Surprised that he has any defenders really as assumed he would be unpopular even amongst the more Tory inclined mumsnetters!

Hermano Fri 22-May-20 23:39:31

But zombiefan he's a massive hypocrite who was churning out repeated press notices saying that everyone must stay home, we must not go to visit parents, we especially must not leave the house of wet have symptoms. He was / is literally one of the people in charge of making all this messaging and putting it in the press.

He thresh went and completely ignored it for himself, even though he'd been involved in writing laws to make it illegal for the rest of us.

Can you not see why everyone is angry?

A friend out it very succinctly : thousands of people have made huge sacrifices to obey the laws. They've stayed home and missed their families, many people have not been able to visit family while they were dying.
We all obeyed the law and made sacrifices for the good of the country.
He didn't, he put himself first.

It IS that big a deal and he did not even be allowed to resign, he should be sacked.

Can you imagine the papers if someone in Labour had done this?

chomalungma Fri 22-May-20 23:40:33

Regardless of what he's done - I am just curious as to Twitter.

Tin hat theory?

WatcherintheRye Fri 22-May-20 23:43:57

Oh give it a break, he is a human being who cares about his parents. Most human beings would react the same way in his situation.

Eh? No, the parents referred to were Cummings and his wife, who were both ill, so went off up to Durham to foist themselves on his parents, so they could look after Cummings' children. The very opposite of caring about his parents.

WatcherintheRye Fri 22-May-20 23:48:17

Also
he is a human being

Questionable.

chomalungma Fri 22-May-20 23:48:27

Twitter this evening

ChicCroissant Fri 22-May-20 23:49:23

'Dominic' is trending on Twitter when I've just looked at it (admittedly it is more Dominic Goings than his actual name).

I suspect Boris/No 10 will just ignore the furore, but most of the other people who have ignored the lockdown in similar positions have gone eventually. Rather like Sturgeon trying to hang on to her adviser, it's not just the orignal issue it's the way they handle it that makes an impression - and this isn't being handled well, the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do message never goes down well!

His wife wrote an article which seems misleading at best, talking about them emerging from quarantine into the London lockdown. That's quite an achievement considering they were not in London at the time.

No matter how much No 10 tries to ignore this one, the solids are hitting the fan. Briefing tomorrow should be interesting - I'm guessing Matt Hancock will end up at the podium again because Boris will be fridge-ing again and nowhere to be seen ...

LagunaBubbles Fri 22-May-20 23:54:49

Maybe because what he did is exactly what most people would do in reality when both parents are unwel

He drove 100s of miles. Couldn't have been that unwell!

Pukkatea Fri 22-May-20 23:56:54

I was just thinking the same thing.

I have friends who couldn't be there to bury loved ones and diddums Cummings is yet again getting away with something that people have been sacked for within literally the last week. Too ill to look after kids? Too ill to drive hundreds of miles. Fact. Need childcare to work? Not that ill then are you. Kids in a car for 5 miles without needing petrol or toilets? Doubt it.

At the end of the day, this is the man who said 'if a few pensioners die so be it' and it seems that extends to his own parents if he takes himself off with a whole family of coronavirus exposed people asap.

GoFiguire Fri 22-May-20 23:57:52

Cummings has blocked himself on Twitter.

Joking aside, it is suspicious and typical of autocratic mindset of this government.

The Russians provided the technology, Cummings and BoJo are repaying this favour by handing Putin the U.K. on a plate.

Hedgehog44 Fri 22-May-20 23:58:33

I'm a massive Tory and I think he is an utter twat.

GrapefruitsAreNotTheOnlyFruit Fri 22-May-20 23:59:58

It was always unclear what to do if you were both very unwell with a young child. However this is obvious bollocks.

Myself and DH could barely get out of bed let alone drive to the other side of the country yet still we struggled on with our children and the help of screens and cheese on toast.

Had we been a bit sicker or the children a bit younger I daresay we might have really been unable to cope.

But we definitely wouldn't have been able to drive very far safely and I imagine a friend or relative would have had to come to us and stay, or just collect the children.

Or failing that, we would have had to phone social services to ask for emergency help.

No way was his behaviour ok.

chomalungma Sat 23-May-20 00:00:35

I wonder if this thread will trend on MN?

Something strange is going on though. No mention of Cummings. Yet his surname is all over twitter tonight,

HannahStern Sat 23-May-20 00:02:28

ZombieFan

The bots are not just on Twitter.

chomalungma Sat 23-May-20 00:05:36

There's a theory that Cummings is not allowed to trend on twitter because it is 'a rude word'. IYSWIM

RandomLondoner Sat 23-May-20 00:12:19

Out of interest, if both parents are sick (as in this case) what are they supposed to do with their child, give that leaving them grandparents is also frowned on?

Pukkatea Sat 23-May-20 00:14:51

@GrapefruitsAreNotTheOnlyFruit sorry to hear of your struggle, I hope you are both feeling better now. You have all my respect for struggling through, that must have been really hard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »