Talk

Advanced search

Unhelpful responses

(4 Posts)
Strawberryshortcake28 Fri 22-May-20 22:17:08

Just looking at some of the posts and the responses ppl give and can't help lol and think the op is obviously going through a hard time your response does notbhelp made me think of the unhelpful things ppl said to me during tough times looking back now I see the funny side example

Op posts long post about relationship dp cheating and the response is think you'd be best posting this on the relationship board

When I told someone I was anxious and suffering anxiety their response was oh don't worry about it

Or depression why are you depressed ? It's an illness sometimes there is no reason how about saying there anything in particular that's triggering you

When I told my parents me and dh were heartbroken after being told we may never concieve naturally their response was kids aren't what their cracked up to be 😂

When My uncle told me how well I looked cus I must have put on about a stone

When during a conversation I said I missed having blonde hair my cousin said you shouldn't it was horrible you look far better now

Or when I had to get stage 3 precancerous cervical cells removed after an irregular smear test my friends response was
Oh that's so embarrassing

When I opened up to my therapist about my older sister dying and the guilt I had on my wedding day and how it should have been her going up the aisle first her response was well she was severely disabled she probably wouldn't have got married anyway

Aibu to still think about these comments they hurt at the time but I have to laugh now as I can see how it was the wrong thing to say and am unthought through responsehas anyone any examples ?

BusyProcrastinator Fri 22-May-20 22:19:00

People are shit sometimes. Regularly.

Strawberryshortcake28 Fri 22-May-20 22:22:55

What nearly kills you at the time makes you stronger I can laugh about it now forgot to say the uncle remark was after I completed treatment for my eating disorder

BusyProcrastinator Fri 22-May-20 22:28:03

As an ‘unhelpful response’ today I cycled to B&Q. I have a bike trailer. I do my best to stay out of the way and had moved as far to the right as possible when trying to turn right at a junction. The guy behind me does not use his steering wheel but instead shouts “DAFT FUCKING CUNT!” out of his window as I turn.

Really upset me- there is no need for people to be so horrible, even if they are held up for 18 seconds.

Here’s some family ones:
Me: yay, I’ve been accepted for a master’s at a great uni.
DSis: how much are the fees?
Me: £9k
DSis: jeez, I think they’ll let you in anywhere if you’re paying 9 grand.

Also one Christmas when I was really depressed, crying, and sleeping for hours, not wanting to go out, my DM (who posts stuff about mental health on FB all the time) got my a book called ‘Miserable Sod’s Guide to Life’. Thanks mum.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »