Talk

Advanced search

Women who started the NHS clap now thinks it should stop

(172 Posts)
Rosehip10 Fri 22-May-20 20:27:25

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/22/lets-stop-clapping-for-the-nhs-says-woman-who-started-the-ritual

I agree. What do you think?

Aside from virtue signalling from politicians, the clap also seems to have descended into competitive virtue signalling - egged on by both normal and social media.

TossACoinToYourWitcher Fri 22-May-20 20:30:34

Wakes my kids every time thanks to next door with a fecking saucepan and a yapping dog.

If we really appreciated health and social care staff then we should stop voting for shitty parties that won't fund those services properly.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 22-May-20 20:31:29

Didn't the Italians start it?

WelcomeToTheNorth Fri 22-May-20 20:32:11

Whilst I would love to see it stop, she’s on to plums if she thinks people will stop on her say so confused

Merryoldgoat Fri 22-May-20 20:33:31

I think it was stupid in the first place.

LudaMusser Fri 22-May-20 20:34:10

I've seen NHS workers saying it needs to stop. That's all you need to know

bridgetreilly Fri 22-May-20 20:34:34

Should have stopped weeks and weeks ago.

ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Fri 22-May-20 20:35:10

I haven’t heard it happen here since the second week. Thankfully.

HappyPunky Fri 22-May-20 20:36:58

It makes me think of the two minutes hate when I hear it - but obviously it's the opposite.

Bracknellite Fri 22-May-20 20:40:45

@happypunky. Two minutes hate, exactly where my mind went when it started. Bojo as big brother

grannyhorse Fri 22-May-20 20:40:54

Yes stop it. The weekly wildlife scaring

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Fri 22-May-20 20:43:17

I think it has to stop. What’s the point of clapping when we are behaving so irresponsibly when out?

If we really want to show appreciation for their hard work, we should show it by not putting ourselves at risk to need their help.

HappyPunky Fri 22-May-20 20:43:54

@bracknellite yeah!! Except he's so useless and dithers around

MouthBreathingRage Fri 22-May-20 20:46:34

Yes, it's got ridiculous (more so than the initial idea). Was just a clap in the first couple of weeks, fine whatever makes people feel like they're 'doing something' at the moment. Now though, it's pots, pans, whooping, car horns, fireworks. It's stupid and inconsiderate one- upmanship rather than doing it for any good cause.

I never thought it was a good idea to put the NHS on a pedestal though. It was only a matter of time before the population 'turned' on them.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 22-May-20 20:47:05

HappyPunky Oh yes!

Tbh I've always felt I could get behind a two minute hate.

Charlieiscool Fri 22-May-20 20:49:16

I like it because I get to see my neighbours and know they are ok. It’s a feeling of solidarity with them to have a chat or wave at each other for a couple of minutes around the clapping each week.

notwavingbutdrowning5 Fri 22-May-20 20:50:41

If we really appreciated health and social care staff then we should stop voting for shitty parties that won't fund those services properly.

This 100 per cent, TossACoin.

zscaler Fri 22-May-20 20:52:14

She’s not wrong. It’s ridiculous now. Lovely idea once, but every week feels contrived now.

Pleasenodont Fri 22-May-20 20:53:24

It was fine for the first week or two but it’s gone on too long now. The fireworks and klaxons are just ridiculous.

Mrstwiddle Fri 22-May-20 20:56:26

I thought it started with the Italians too, not sure why she’s claiming “credit” for it.

recycledteenager24 Fri 22-May-20 20:56:55

some people are complete wankers with their stupid klaxons and stuff on thursdays.

RHTawneyonabus Fri 22-May-20 20:57:22

It will gradually die out I think especially when things are a bit more normal and the schools are back etc

WhatsHappeningCaroleBaskin Fri 22-May-20 20:58:22

I work for the NHS, it was nice the first week, maybe even 2 weeks, after that it was just annoying and at a really bad time for people (like me) trying to put children to bed.

Much rather that keyworkers (not just NHS) get the pay and benefits they deserve.

helpfulperson Fri 22-May-20 20:59:40

At first I wasn't keen because I felt it forgot the other workers eg shops, posties etc but I've seen how good it's been for the more isolated, maybe older, people to go out once a week and be part of something with their community. It has really helped areas pull together. It's the highlight of my mum's week.

Chillipeanuts Fri 22-May-20 20:59:58

MrsTerryPratchett

Didn't the Italians start it?”

Yes, think so. Could be wrong but I think it was also spontaneous and quite beautiful because of that.

I’m afraid the who can bang the pan loudest, push their children forward to sing/dance/play an instrument (whilst filming of course) or set up a PA system and “entertain” the locality whether they like it or not crew, on an organised, weekly basis just doesn’t have the same meaning to me.

And dear neighbour, who regularly glares up at our window on Thursday evenings because we’re not outside banging our pans: I’m sitting indoors with my 3 vulnerable loved ones, one of whom owes his life to NHS workers. We thank God for them every single day. Would just rather not go onto the doorstep and risk a virus, thanks.

And, breathe grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »