Talk

Advanced search

To ask what my perfect job would be based on my brain?

(60 Posts)
BoujiSnail Fri 22-May-20 17:41:08

My brain works in a weird way, like a computer with a million tabs open. My current job involves moving very quickly between a number of tasks, keeping all of them in my mind at once. I'm terrible at having one long task which I have to work through e.g. creating a big spreadsheet of data. I constantly lose focus and have to keep doing something else and coming back to it.
I remember one of my old mangers shouting 'can you just finish one task?' at me but in my current role it's actually a strength as my job is very bitty and lots of people are impressed that I manage to keep so many plates spinning and rarely forget anything.
I'm a bit bored in my current role so I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of other jobs which involve similar multitasking skills. Alternatively anyone have any tips on strengthening concentration. I've noticed similar traits in my children and I find it so frustrating so no wonder people often find me hard work!
I can't quite explain it but it's like I have loads of photos in my head and my mind constantly flicks between them making notes. I feel some of my other colleagues minds work like long linear lists, which they slowly scroll down. Thanks in advance!

Pelleas Fri 22-May-20 17:45:13

If you're any good at cooking, a head chef! They have to be amazing at multi-tasking.

Itsbeforepartb Fri 22-May-20 17:47:07

Well most jobs will require both of those skills, to some extent, but you could look for fast paced practical jobs like health care, casework (like social care, probation etc), customer service, etc. It really depends what your qualifications and background are.

GhostCurry Fri 22-May-20 17:47:46

No advice but I’m exactly like you. My attention spam is getting shorter as I get older too. I can’t ever close my work computer down as I have to have so many emails and internet tabs open to remind me of things, or that I will come back to.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Fri 22-May-20 17:49:34

PA. Can you look at becoming a Virtual PA?

BoujiSnail Fri 22-May-20 17:52:27

@BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz I'm actually a P.A at the moment for a consultant!
@GhostCurry glad to know I'm not alone.

Dragongirl10 Fri 22-May-20 17:55:51

you would be a good financial analyst.

BoujiSnail Fri 22-May-20 18:03:42

@Dragongirl10 I'd actually love that as I read financial non fiction books for fun. I loved The Big Short!

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Fri 22-May-20 18:17:23

BoujiSnail oh wow!

Could you look to move into a different industry but same role? Sometimes the content of what you are arranging is just getting a bit boring.

7Worfs Fri 22-May-20 18:20:15

Project manager.

DrMadelineMaxwell Fri 22-May-20 18:21:25

Sounds like my job. A million things on the go and having to jump from one to another. I'm a teacher.

BoujiSnail Fri 22-May-20 18:22:47

@BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz I just want to earn a bit more money. The most I'll earn is £26,000 in my current role. Not bad but I feel I'm quite bright, maybe I could do more.

7Worfs Fri 22-May-20 18:24:26

If you are after mure money, volunteer to lead or contribute to projects, complete a course, Agile maybe, then jump into software /IT project managing.

flamegame Fri 22-May-20 18:27:05

Yeah another one that thinks you’d make a good project manager - these days they tend to manage multiple projects. There are many types of PM although IT the most popular. Change management might suit too.

ChristmasFluff Fri 22-May-20 19:30:50

This may sound totally off the wall, and I have no idea what qualifications are needed, but Air Traffic Controller?

PhilCornwall1 Sat 23-May-20 06:59:53

* then jump into software*

Depends in what area, not being able to focus on one specific area at a time wouldn't work in development.

Divorcingjack80 Sat 23-May-20 07:30:23

First off, look up adult ADHD using one of those billion open tabs. I am diagnosed and work as a scrum master in a software development team. It works really well for me.

Divorcingjack80 Sat 23-May-20 07:31:18

There is excellent earning potential, especially if you go contracting in the longer term.

Divorcingjack80 Sat 23-May-20 07:32:02

Pm me if anything rings a bell smile

VickyBHF Sat 23-May-20 07:36:27

I second above poster. Look at ADHD.... my DH has it and his brain works like that.

Shelley54 Sat 23-May-20 07:40:06

Recruitment Consultant (although now not a great time to start). You're on and off the phone all the time, meeting people, responding emails, posting jobs... it's constant juggling of balls and trying not to drop anything but no one task takes more than about 30 minutes. If you're resilient and able to persuade and influence there's money to be made.

PoppinPopcorn Sat 23-May-20 08:01:33

IT project management
Sales support

I think financial analyst is definitely no go, you need stamina sometimes to work through things in depth.

23trains Sat 23-May-20 08:21:07

How do you get in to a project management role? Qualifications first or find a junior role?

CovidicusRex Sat 23-May-20 08:24:17

Pretty much all jobs require this surely? What other skills do you have? Anything you loathe/can’t do well? Any qualifications?

PlanDeRaccordement Sat 23-May-20 08:24:48

I agree, get checked for ADHD
Also, you might find other job ideas if you do a personality test at 16personalities (it’s free on the web).
www.16personalities.com/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »