Talk

Advanced search

Exam board confirmed no pay

(189 Posts)
RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:07:22

I posted about this before... and have just had confirmation from AQA that as an examiner, despite having signed a contract to work this summer, as i have for maybe six or seven years, we are not going to be furloughed. It's not self employment so no help there either.

So that's it. Nothing. Aibu to think this is not fair when so many millions of others are being paid at 80%?

GalesThisMorning Fri 22-May-20 15:09:47

But there's nothing to mark? How can you be furloughed from a job you last did 12 months ago?

Bridecilla Fri 22-May-20 15:11:09

Edexcel are paying 20% which I think is really kind. I don't think they're under obligation to pay though- there's no work!

Muppetry76 Fri 22-May-20 15:11:52

Did you sign up for a certain number of papers?

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:12:10

I presume that's why we aren't getting furloughed. But it's a proper contract and many people, myself included, rely on the money. The work has been cancelled because of corona virus, just like millions of other people.

Millions of people are doing no work right now and are getting furlough pay.

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:12:45

Muppetry yes about £1800 worth.

Bridecilla Fri 22-May-20 15:13:13

People have been furloughed from current work though- not future work.

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:13:44

For gcse, plus about £1000 of a levels. I've been doing it for years.

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:14:54

It is current work, because i would ordinarily be doing it now

masonmason Fri 22-May-20 15:15:25

Surely this is a temporary contract which hasn't started? How the hell could you be furloughed hmm

Hercwasonaroll Fri 22-May-20 15:15:48

Rainbow it is incredibly unfair however due to the nature of the work you cannot legally be furloughed.

Is there any opportunity for you to tutor?

Pearson are paying 20% but not refunding schools fees.

Aqa are refunding schools (apparently) but not paying anyone.

Bridecilla Fri 22-May-20 15:16:26

Exam marking is self employed though isn't it?

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:17:10

My point is, my income has been removed because of the lockdown, and other people whose work has been suspended have either been furloughed or can claim on the self employment scheme. Examiners can do neither. Why? The schemes are supposed to support people whose income has been removed.

00100001 Fri 22-May-20 15:17:27

Maybe they can't claim furlough payments for temp/casual staff, as it was based in earnings from a certain period that you weren't paid in. Or being paid for right now.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 22-May-20 15:17:45

Edexcel are paying 20% of last year's earnings. OCR are furloughing or giving a goodwill payment. AQA sent an email saying that these other boards are only awarding small sums that won't make a difference anyway, so they are giving nothing. That's nice of them to think that we're so well off that a small sum wouldn't make a difference. Good luck to them finding anyone to mark exams in October.

Ellisandra Fri 22-May-20 15:17:54

I feel for anyone in an individual position that puts them in hardship. But this isn’t anything AQA are doing wrong.
Look for an alternative income... as a parent of a Y10 right now missing formal school, I’d be happy to find a tutor with experience of what is expected in exam answers.

Moondust001 Fri 22-May-20 15:18:04

*I presume that's why we aren't getting furloughed. But it's a proper contract and many people, myself included, rely on the money. The work has been cancelled because of corona virus, just like millions of other people.

Millions of people are doing no work right now and are getting furlough pay.*

And lots of people who happened to have the misfortune of swapping employments at the wrong time are also not getting paid! You are complaining that you should be paid for some casual work you do for a few weeks a year but won't be doing this year (for whatever reason)? Wow. Just wow. I'm guessing you are a teacher or a lecturer in employment? Being paid for your main employment?

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 22-May-20 15:18:19

It's not self employment.

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:18:55

No it's PAYE. It's temporary in the sense that it lasts two months of the year but many people do it every year. Like i said, my point is, why isn't there a possibility of support .

00100001 Fri 22-May-20 15:19:46

Well, you're not the only person not receiving furlough payments that "should" be. Plus you'll still have a job at the end of this unlike some others.

The exam boards can't magic up money...

00100001 Fri 22-May-20 15:21:28

Maybe the person in charge of paying is furloughed....

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:21:33

Moondust, no, like i said above, i rely on it. It's my only role, i posted before about it, before i had confirmation. It's my only work, I've had a few misscarriages and a still birth recently and am expecting again so I'm not currently in work.

Wow just wow is a bit judgy.

ememem84 Fri 22-May-20 15:21:49

Is it your only source of income?

RainbowBabyDreams Fri 22-May-20 15:22:06

001 that job won't start again until summer 2021

ememem84 Fri 22-May-20 15:22:22

Cross posted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »