Talk

Advanced search

Postman opening peoples doors!

(26 Posts)
Starlet9729 Fri 22-May-20 12:53:27

Might be completely unreasonable here. I’m not sure!

I live in a village where most people know each other. We have a population of about 1000 I think so not particularly small.

The postman is an older chap. I think he might be semi retired as some days we have a different postman.

He’s always knocked then opened some peoples doors to place parcels inside - not ours as we have crazy escapee dog and equally crazy sen child who would freak at the door opening like this and probably run out. Our door remains locked 🤣

Whilst out walking said crazy dog this morning I noticed the postman was still opening peoples doors and placing parcels inside? Does this seem just a little bit crazy to you because of covid?

If he’s touching multiple door handles it seems a danger. I am more concerned about his health as like I said above he’s an older chap - lovely but very trusting! He’s left parcels on our step in full view Pre covid when we weren’t in. He leaves them on the step now which isn’t a problem.

I do regularly clean my door handle and letter box since covid but obviously I don’t know how many others are doing the same!

Aibu to think this isn’t great right now? He has quite a large area to cover! He may sanitise his hands regularly who knows but it’s not like he can wash his hands with soap and water until he gets back to his base or home or whatever.

There aren’t many cases in my area but the risk is still here in my opinion!

WinterHasCome Fri 22-May-20 12:55:07

Mine did this for the first time the other day. It really scared me hearing my door being opened and closed - I should keep it locked, I guess, but I don't expect anyone to open my door.

SnuggyBuggy Fri 22-May-20 12:55:50

I don't see how it's different to touching letterboxes. I'm guessing the posties are doing a lot of handwashing

VickyEadieofThigh Fri 22-May-20 12:59:01

No matter how "quiet" an area people live in, leaving your door unlocked is a massive risk to your safety and security. My brother lives in a quiet cul de sac in such an area, rushed in with his small daughter who needed the toilet, raced her upstairs (having dumped his keys on the hall table...came down to find someone had nipped in after him, nicked his keys and driven his car away.

Moreover, burglars often target such areas, especially if they know elderly people - who are known for leaving their doors unlocked - live there. And they're often not nice to people when they enter through those unlocked doors.

Postie should not be opening people's doors.

Starlet9729 Fri 22-May-20 13:05:53

My issue isn’t with opening doors as such. Obviously it isn’t ideal but I think some people are happy for him to do it that’s their choice. My door is always locked.

@SnuggyBuggy surely door handles are more touched than letter boxes though? I never touch the outside of my letter box but we touch the door handle all the time naturally. I’m more worried about the posties health than the people that live in the house! For instance if I had covid without knowing it, I took dog for walk came home and opened my door with the handle, postman opens my door with handle and virus gets transferred to his hands. Like I said I do wipe mine but I don’t know if others are around here!

GinDaddyRedux Fri 22-May-20 13:13:06

What is it with Mumsnet and front doors?

OP, here's a thought. If your neighbours leave their doors open.....then perhaps they're ok with it. And if they're not ok with it, they can tell the postman themselves!

Starlet9729 Fri 22-May-20 13:17:15

My post isn’t about whether people should leave their doors open. I don’t give a crap about that at all.

My concern is touching multiple door handles and speeding covid that’s all! We are being told it can live on surfaces!

Bojohair Fri 22-May-20 13:17:15

Poor man is just trying to put the mail out of sight, people can wipe down the handles if they are worried. I touch door handles all the time when I am out shopping, I just hope the spitting youff who hovers outside hasn’t gone near them shock

SnuggyBuggy Fri 22-May-20 13:23:03

Well if you're washing your hands anyway I wouldn't have thought it makes much difference.

And yes the leaving doors unlocked thing is weird as fuck. I hope they've checked the small print of their insurance policies.

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 22-May-20 13:35:36

I suspect you'll get people focusing on the door locking.

MN is really hot on your doors being locked all the time. I haven't ever really thought about it as my doors are unlocked if I am in, locked when I am out or go to bed. Yes, even when I am in the shower my house remains unlocked.

Occasionally I read a thread like this and lock a door. But it doesn't last long.

Our post man also opens doors and drops post inside but has stopped doing it during CV19.

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 22-May-20 13:38:21

Oh.... And most insurance policies will pay out if your door or window is open. It's the taking without your consent that you are insured against.

HappyHammy Fri 22-May-20 13:42:32

We have put a notice over the letterbox thanking our postie and parcel delivery drivers asking them to put stuff in a plastic box that we bought and leave out on the porch. Saves them time and reduces everyones risk.

AnnofPeeves Fri 22-May-20 13:44:51

This doesn't make any sense. He or she (and probably many others) have touched the letter or parcel you then pick up anyway.

So if he leaves it outside, a person goes outside, picks up the potentially contaminated parcel and then touches the door handle again themselves and puts the parcel down inside. I'd say the risk is pretty similar really

PhoneLock Fri 22-May-20 13:45:13

Our post man also opens doors and drops post inside but has stopped doing it during CV19.

Same here.

HappyHammy Fri 22-May-20 13:54:44

We leave it in the box for a few days. Admit not everyone can do that and it doesnt work in the rain but our regular postman seems happy.

CoronaIsComing Fri 22-May-20 14:10:55

Yes the risk to him is higher but I guess he’s happy to take that risk. Those people who are saying he must wash his hands a lot, where? Unless his round is very close to his house, he won’t have anywhere to wash them. When I go back out to work rather than WFH, I’ll have this problem and I’ve no idea what to do about it as I don’t feel that hand sanitiser is enough.

Herpesfreesince03 Fri 22-May-20 14:13:57

No different to knocking on doors, letter boxes and ringing bells

livingthegoodlife Fri 22-May-20 14:21:46

I had this once with a DPD delivery. The chap opened my front door and frightened my dog. Not sure why he did it! I have a porch. Weird.

mindutopia Fri 22-May-20 14:36:41

My postman used to do this and it drove me mad. Nothing like finally getting a baby to sleep to then have the bloody postman open the door, shout in, toss the parcel into the hall and then slam the door shut. We have never locked our doors when we are in, and I suppose that's our own fault, but honestly, it's fine. The only time I lock them is when no one is home or sometimes when I'm home alone overnight and feel extra creeped out. ILs are the same, literally never lock the doors, even when they go out. They went on a week's holiday a few years ago and it took several days to even locate the house keys because they never use them. We've never had a break in or anything dodgy happen.

But the most infuriating incident was when the Hermes driver dropped the parcel in a muddy puddle in front of the house (so was soaked and dripping with mud) and then opened the door and hurled it down the hall, splashing mud everywhere. envy

It's not wise from a covid perspective, but it's mostly just annoying. I'm glad for things to just be left by the door, thank you.

kirstinm Fri 22-May-20 14:41:25

Ours does this too, it gave me a fright the first time but then I didn't mind as it saved us having to go to the depot to get parcels a couple of times. Hadn't really thought about it re COVID but I guess I would just maybe give the door handle a wipe down?

SpillTheTeaa Fri 22-May-20 14:46:59

I never have known people to leave their front doors open until on mumsnet.
We don't live in a rough area either. I was just normal to lock the door behind you! grin

480Widdio Fri 22-May-20 14:50:56

Who leaves their front door unlocked nowadays.

Can you let us all know where you live,asking for a friend.

notacooldad Fri 22-May-20 14:55:10

Who leaves their front door unlocked nowadays

Can you let us all know where you live,asking for a friend

Me and I live Up North!

PhoneLock Fri 22-May-20 15:13:25

Who leaves their front door unlocked nowadays

Do you lock yours while you are in and up?

MyOwnSummer Fri 22-May-20 15:17:17

You need to contact Royal Mail to have him stopped, for his own protection as well as other people's. Health and Safety procedures have been updated and he needs to be made aware of the risk he is running. It would be a terrible shame if he got sick when he is genuinely trying to just do his job.

Best way is to talk to his Delivery Office Manager direct, you should be able to google the number for the local caller's office (the collection point) - it is printed on the "sorry you were out" cards if you have one. The other way is via the normal customer services channels - the phone lines are exceptionally busy but you can submit a complaint via the website.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »