Talk

Advanced search

To use bar soap instead of liquid handsoap

(252 Posts)
Honeybee85 Fri 22-May-20 12:38:43

Liquid handsoap is sold out completely, at every shop here (we live outside the UK).
Bar soap is still widely available though for the same price as it was before (unfortunately that doesn't apply to liquid handsanitizer, this has become 3 times more expensive then it was before).

I still have enough handsoap left for about 2 weeks use, but I'm afraid there still won't be any available after we run out of our current supply. I was planning to buy bar soap to put by the sink in the toilet but DH thinks it's grim to use bar soap for washing hands after toilet use. He says we better buy shower gel and use that instead.
I'm thinking that won't do the cleansing job as good as bar soap.

AIBU to think it's fine to use bar soap in the toilet?

YABU : it's grim, use showergel

YANBU : don't worry, it's fine to use bar soap

Sexnotgender Fri 22-May-20 12:39:41

I use bar soap everywhere. I changed about 6 months ago in an attempt to reduce my plastic usage.

DahliaDay Fri 22-May-20 12:39:44

Bar soap all the way

SunnySomer Fri 22-May-20 12:41:52

30 years ago no one used liquid soap in the home, there’s nothing wrong with it or grim about it at all. And the impact on the environment of bar soap is far lower. It’s all we use in our house.

AravisTarkheena Fri 22-May-20 12:42:06

Of course bar soap is fine in the toilet!

SoupDragon Fri 22-May-20 12:42:08

I use bar soap but it annoys me immensely when the bar cracks and it looks manky.

evieray Fri 22-May-20 12:42:13

i like liquid soap, but because of the package I prefer bar ones

ShaniaPayne Fri 22-May-20 12:42:35

aren't you washing away any residual 'grimness' with the hot water and lather?

SunbathingDragon Fri 22-May-20 12:42:56

I find liquid soap dries my hands out too much. DH and I have our own bar soaps and the children have liquid soap.

MarylandMayhem Fri 22-May-20 12:42:54

* DH thinks it's grim to use bar soap for washing hands after toilet use*

He's wrong. Liquid hand soap harmbwe all the shitty germs on the pump that you press, with bar soap the germy layer is washed away.

okiedokieme Fri 22-May-20 12:42:56

I use bar soap, and bar shampoo - plastic free!

Honeybee85 Fri 22-May-20 12:43:42

@Sexnotgender yes I read the impact on the environment of liquid soap is much higher then bar soap even if you only consider the production proces without the packaging included.

I already put bar soap by the kitchen sink to save our last bit of liquid one for the toilet and I feel my hands feel much less dried out after using that one compared to the liquid soap. I like it !

Sexnotgender Fri 22-May-20 12:43:53

I use bar soap but it annoys me immensely when the bar cracks and it looks manky

Mine doesn’t do this.

MarylandMayhem Fri 22-May-20 12:44:12

Harbours*

shivermetimbers77 Fri 22-May-20 12:44:21

Bar soap is great, lasts longer and much better for the environment than liquid soap

ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Fri 22-May-20 12:44:34

How is this even a question? confused

Bar soap is still soap. Liquid hand wash only came into use a couple of decades ago. What do you think kept every clean and alive before that? confused

C0RA Fri 22-May-20 12:44:39

We don’t use liquid handwash at all because of the damage it does to your skin and because we are trying to use less Single use plastic.

KeepHimJolene Fri 22-May-20 12:44:44

Decent bar soap is far kinder to frequently washed hands

ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Fri 22-May-20 12:45:13

everyone

BasinHaircut Fri 22-May-20 12:45:40

I can’t remember when people stopped finding it acceptable to wash with bars of soap but it does blow my mind.

I do have a liquid soap in the kitchen but I refil the bottle with cheap bubble bath. Fills it up 3 time for 40p. Same stuff

Notfastjustfurious Fri 22-May-20 12:46:24

Nope it's the dispenser on your liquid soap that's grim, it's only ever touched by dirty hands!

museumum Fri 22-May-20 12:46:27

I’ve always been squeamish about soggy bar soap when the underside gets icky. As a child it made me sometimes try to skip hand washing or just rub the dry top of the bar. So I try to always have liquid soap for my kids. I would however buy refills if possible rather than a pump bottle each time.

DippyAvocado Fri 22-May-20 12:46:39

I've been using it for a year since I started trying to reduce plastic use.

AravisTarkheena Fri 22-May-20 12:47:21

I use bar soap but it annoys me immensely when the bar cracks and it looks manky

Yeah this hasn’t happened to me for a long time, most of my soap is fancy soap I get given at Christmas but I’m sure Pears soap doesn’t do this and it’s a standard supermarket soap.

Sciurus83 Fri 22-May-20 12:47:53

*44ChandlerIsTheBestFriend

How is this even a question?*

Baffles me pal

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »