Talk

Advanced search

Bloody nearly got knocked out!

(27 Posts)
FortunesFave Fri 22-May-20 11:19:16

Own stupid fault. Playing a bit rough with DD who is 12 and got a smack right in the eye from a stick we were using...."fencing" would you believe it.

DD felt terrible but it was my own fault as the light was fading (we're in Oz, it's night here now) and I, being the adult should have said that we had to stop as someone would get hurt.

I downplayed it a bit because I didn't want her to worry but it REALLY HURT!

SMACK in the eye....saw a white flash, got floored....eyelid is scraped and bled a bit...think I've lost a few lashes and it's going to be black.

Feel very sorry for myself now...it's an hour later and DD"s recovered from her shock and DH slept through it all so I have nobody to give me sympathy at all.

When will I learn? I'm in my late 40s and have always loved horseplay but I do seem to bash myself up too much sometimes! sad

Isn't it funny how when you're all grown up, an injury can make you feel about ten again!

FortunesFave Fri 22-May-20 11:20:20

Should add, DH was asleep because he'd worked v hard all day...all week actually and is asleep on the sofa.

Bunnymumy Fri 22-May-20 11:23:15

All part of the adventure I suppose.
Bag of iced peas on it and it'll be good as new soon enough smile

FluffyAragog Fri 22-May-20 11:23:36

As I say to my kids... If you choose to play silly games then it's your own fault if you get hurt, no sympathy from me. grin

Hope it feels better soon! (Obviously keep an eye on the eyeball, DD had a nasty scratch courtesy of DS during aforementioned silly game and had to have lubricant and antibiotic drops for a couple of weeks)

poozel Fri 22-May-20 11:24:13

Oh that sounds sore Op. Hope you feel better soon.

I was playing basketball with my niece and nephew and she knocked me out with a hockey stick. Ball got stuck in net, she went to poke it out and I followed a little to closely, came round with them looking frightened at me.

CoachBombay Fri 22-May-20 11:29:49

Hahaha! Oh OP we have a saying in Welsh "chwarae yn troi chwerw" means basically playing turning bitter/nasty/fowl.

Your poor eye, I once nearly knocked myself out pretending to be a dinosour under DS's cabin bed jumped up hit my head and I saw stars 😂

Get some ice in it! Hope you feel better soon

FortunesFave Fri 22-May-20 11:51:17

Thanks all feel a tiny bit better now. I was worried about a scratch...but I think the stinging is just my eyelid where it bled a bit.

Not fencing in the twilight ever again.

Itsnotalwaysme Fri 22-May-20 12:10:44

Did this to one of my younger brothers.

He still has a scar! But he did also cut my eyelid open running around with a yoghurt pot... so I feel no guilt grin

BlackeyedSusan Fri 22-May-20 12:14:27

oh heck. hope it feels better soon.

poor dh, I mean who is going to believe that it was your dd?

MoMagic Fri 22-May-20 12:33:11

Ouch, you have my sympathies. I got hit in the eye with a cricket bat a few years ago and it was painful. I was wicket keeper and dd swung too hard and the bat flew out of her hand straight into my face! I’m just lucky it was a kids bat and not a full sized one or I would probably have been knocked out.

Toothsil Fri 22-May-20 12:48:50

Poor you, OP, I hope it calms down soon. Like the others have said, get something frozen onto it, and maybe take some painkillers, perhaps an anti inflammatory one if you have it.

My granny used to say "there'll be tears before bedtime" when we were fooling around and she was usually right!

Iooselipssinkships Fri 22-May-20 12:50:37

Yesterday I fell down

DiseasesOfTheSheep Fri 22-May-20 13:04:54

Ah but it's a fun anecdote. I'd take a black eye for that any day.

mbosnz Fri 22-May-20 13:07:22

As my MIL used to say, 'it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye', lol. At least you didn't lose it, merely gained a shiner. . .

SoupDragon Fri 22-May-20 13:10:23

DS2 has a scar through his eyebrow due to a "fencing" injury when he was about 3.

Hope you're OK!

Permanantlypuzzled Fri 22-May-20 13:11:41

It’ll be fine.
Just keep an eye on it for a day or two. 😎😎

Schoenes Fri 22-May-20 13:11:44

I just stubbed my toe.

Pandoraslastchance Fri 22-May-20 13:30:52

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

If it's still sore in a few days I'd ring the gp in case you've scratched you eyeball.

Picklypickles Fri 22-May-20 13:30:58

Hey at least you were having fun! I got my finger trapped in a pair of bloody kitchen tongs whilst washing up the other day and ripped a big chunk out of my finger, blood everywhere! On the plus side my oh has now decided I can't be trusted in the kitchen any more!

rosegoldivy Fri 22-May-20 13:41:00

my DSD gave me a black eye a few years ago when we were playing gymnastics, I obviously misplaced my footing in our synchronised floor routine and missed my que to go into a cartwheel and received DSDs flying foot to my eye

she was really upset about it and I was staggering about trying not to cry and downplay it, was the worst black eye ive ever had. I still wind her up about the time she battered me

PrincessPain Fri 22-May-20 14:07:31

Yeah, nothing like the tears springing to your eyes and not wanting to embarrasses yourself or upset the children.
Definitely flashbacks to being 10!

sunflowery Fri 22-May-20 14:20:34

DH and I wrestle sometimes. Once he went to pick me up and chuck me over his shoulder and misjudged his own force, smacking my head into the ceiling.

The thud sounded worse than it actually was but I had great fun over the next few days pretending I couldn’t remember the names of basic household objects and rubbing my head, confused.

We tend to wrestle on the floor now..

Laserbird16 Fri 22-May-20 14:28:28

Ouch!

My teeth nearly went through my lip when my DD jumped excitedly while I was helping her put on her jacket. I cried, she cried. She had a neat bite mark on the top of her head. It was pretty weird the pair of us sobbing in a field while I tried to pretend it was all okay. She has headbutted me a few times in the face accidentally...why is her head so hard!

Biddie191 Fri 22-May-20 14:30:57

My son gave me a black eye once. I was stalking him pretending to be the big bad wolf, he was in the playhouse, I did the "little pig, little pig, let me come in" bit, and he screamed and flung open the door, right into my face. Probably about 10 years ago, it still comes up in conversation regularly!

nowayhose Fri 22-May-20 15:51:25

Lol, I'm loving this thread ! grin

I got myself a real shiner when I was 'showing' the kids how to use the water slide in the garden.........................blush ran at the start of the slide.......slipped backwards............and put my own knee in my eye sad

Oh, the shame of it.................I had a black eye a boxer would've been proud of ! and my lovely next door neighbour almost peed herself laughing..............blush

And the time I most embarrassed myself ? That would be when I was showing my DS (age 2 at the time) how to climb into his red and yellow plastic car ( the one EVERY kid seems to have). Cue me sitting in the little car ( all crunched up and very uncomfortable !), when the doorbell rings blush...................cue 10 mins of me trying desperately to get myself out of this bloody car............doorbell ringing twice more before postman looks through window, to see my son rolling on the floor laughing, and me with one leg out the car window and my head out the other window..............blush. Bloody postman could barely stand for laughing ! blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »