Talk

Advanced search

To ask why I’m not loosing weight with all the excercise I’m doing?!

(337 Posts)
Endorphins Fri 22-May-20 10:08:14

So I excercise 6 days per week and eat healthy 5 days per week!

I do 3 days of weight and strength training
2 days of running, generally about 7k each time
1 day of yoga for 60 minutes

I track via MFP and generally have about between 1300 and 1500 cals per day

On the weekend I relax the cal counting but don’t binge

I am still breast feeding my 2 year old and she feeds multiple times per day and throughout the night

I weigh 9 and a half stone

vanillandhoney Fri 22-May-20 10:10:04

What kinds of foods are you eating? You say 1300-1500 calories but what are those calories made up of?

They always say you can't out-exercise a bad diet.

Wynston Fri 22-May-20 10:10:29

How long have you been doing all this??

Yugi Fri 22-May-20 10:12:18

Have you weighed your food? Lots of people underestimate the weight of portions and MFP is notoriously inaccurate for this

TheHarryFormerlyKnownAsPrince Fri 22-May-20 10:14:05

You’re fairly light already, how tall are you?

Bienentrinkwasser Fri 22-May-20 10:14:42

If you weigh 9 and a half stone do you actually need to be dieting?

Settle59 Fri 22-May-20 10:14:45

OP I would give anything to be 9 and a half stone right now = envy!!

However, I can ONLY lose weight by sticking STRICTLY to a calorie controlled diet and exercising - I can't lose weight unless I strictly control those calories so DON'T RELAX THE CALORIE COUNT! - and you WILL lose weight!! Good luck!!

Settle59 Fri 22-May-20 10:15:43

Try reducing your calorie count to 1200 a day and don't go above.

Mooserp Fri 22-May-20 10:16:23

More questions!

What is your strength training?
How much do you change your diet at the weekend?
How do you spread your food through the day?

amijustparanoidorjuststoned Fri 22-May-20 10:16:24

If you're solely focusing on exercise you won't see results very quickly.

You mention that you're eating between 1300-1500 calories per day. I have to say that MFP don't take in to account that everyone is different and you don't necessarily need to be in calorie deficit to lose weight!! So you might not be eating enough, eating the wrong things, or perhaps your metabolism needs even less calories (very unlikely to be honest!)

At 9.5 stone you definitely aren't overweight, your body is probably burning enough calories whilst breastfeeding. Be kind to yourself x

BossAssBitch Fri 22-May-20 10:17:50

You would need to be doing loads more exercise than you are to lose weight. Yes, you will be fit but the amount you are doing is not really that much. Diet is way more important if you want to lose the pounds.

I have done five triathlons. I haven't lost a pound while training for any of them.

wallywonker Fri 22-May-20 10:17:56

How tall are you?

Riddlediddle Fri 22-May-20 10:18:27

Muscle weighs more than fat so could it just be that you're building muscle (but still losing fat) and therefore your weight isn't going down? Can you notice a change in your body shape as i would say that is more important than what the scales say x

bridgetreilly Fri 22-May-20 10:18:57

You don't need to lose any weight.

lubeybooby Fri 22-May-20 10:22:56

Work out your sedentary TDEE

tighten up your calorie control to eye watering accuracy,

weigh everything and only use verified calorie amounts

don't have too high expectations, on 1300 to 1500 cals per day especially with relaxing it at the weekend, if you are average height and not currently that overweight, you can probably reasonably expect a half a pound a week loss at that level - make your peace with that. It's not a race, it's supposed to be a lifestyle you enjoy.

take into account potential water weight and sodium weight
fluctuations by only weighing monthly

don't 'eat back' all the calories you 'earn' with exercise as the estimates on calorie burn are often way overinflated

GailLondon Fri 22-May-20 10:24:14

Sadly it is hard to lose weight while exercising. A woman of your weight burns approx 100 calories per mile running. To lose just one pound a week you would need to run 35 miles (56km)!

GailLondon Fri 22-May-20 10:27:55

But obviously please do keep up the exercises for all the positive benefits to your health and fitness smile

Samtsirch Fri 22-May-20 10:35:03

Your weight sounds fine, unless you are exceptionally short.

Lockheart Fri 22-May-20 10:40:34

Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. You would be better off eating healthily 7 days a week and doing HIIT workouts 3 times a week.

LouHotel Fri 22-May-20 10:41:20

You'll be gaining muscle from exercise, I would measure your waist size as well as weight.

VeraorHolly Fri 22-May-20 10:43:39

Diet. I exercise a lot too, and 2x more in lockdown and I've gained a few pounds.

I think even with exercise I am eating too much in lockdown out of boredom and eating all my meals with the kids, and snacking on their kid food.

NiceLegsShameAboutTheFace Fri 22-May-20 10:43:49

You'll be gaining muscle from exercise

Not enough to affect your weight unless you're on a real mission blush

VeraorHolly Fri 22-May-20 10:45:47

Sorry- I didn't read carefully.

I had 3 kids, and for each my body held onto nearly 10lbs until I stopped breastfeeding (average age 2.5 years old). When I stopped the weight fell off (those were great weeks). I know some people get very skinny breastfeeding, but my body was the equivalent of a pandemic prepper. I kept reserves in stock.

Boulshired Fri 22-May-20 10:48:14

I lost 5lbs the week I gave up breastfeeding DS1 at 18months.

PhoneLock Fri 22-May-20 10:50:40

A woman of your weight burns approx 100 calories per mile running. To lose just one pound a week you would need to run 35 miles (56km)!

More than that. You have forgotten to factor in the calories she would be burning just sitting on her bum.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »