Talk

Advanced search

Immunity Certificates

(24 Posts)
Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 09:53:25

Thoughts on this?

Immunity certificates to show who has had the virus and therefore allowed to go out and no longer social distance.

The rest of us can continue to social distance or isolate.

My initial thoughts is oh my how awful... I will be a negative since not had it and so will be restricted....where is personal choice

AIBU - it's a great idea

YANBU - it's a bad idea

AudacityOfHope Fri 22-May-20 09:54:16

I thought they didn't know if you can develop any long-term sort of immunity? If that is the case then I don't see the point.

Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 09:55:59

I am thinking will that mean Big Brother and I will not be allowed to go to ppubs when they reopen ... restaurants.... out and about... will I be the shunned avoid since negative and lock her up...

Will this be the new divide the have had it and the have not had it....

SnackSizeRaisin Fri 22-May-20 09:57:04

Seems very unlikely give that there's no evidence that you can become immune to this disease. Until either antibody levels are shown to correlate with immunity and the duration of that immunity is know, or until there is a vaccine that is widely available, this will not happen. Hence it will be at least 18 months away by which time things will have largely returned to normal.
YABU for thinking this will ever happen!

Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 09:57:07

Good point Audacity...

Will the 'certificate' be time valid then --- immunity for a month and so certificate expires after a month.

Obviously no definitate answers yet and just wondering

Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 09:58:19

To be fair it is a Dail Mail story I just read but is it a likelyhood?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8346179/Immunity-certificates-allow-people-recovered-coronavirus-freed-lockdown.html

GreyGardens88 Fri 22-May-20 09:58:21

AIBU

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Fri 22-May-20 09:58:35

I think it would greatly help for students and teachers, if it was confirmed that antibodies do really mean you are immune, which they haven't confirmed yet. It would mean kids could sit near to each other with the ones who need it being able to social distance better in class

Soubriquet Fri 22-May-20 09:58:59

Too easily faked

People will pay someone who can pull off decent fake documents

Curiosity101 Fri 22-May-20 09:59:57

Even if they were sure that you'd have long term immunity after having it, it still seems like a bad idea. I'd expect a large spike in cases but I reckon it'll lead to people purposefully taking risks and infecting themselves to enable them to get back to normal life.

OmgThereAreNoPlanesAboveMeNow Fri 22-May-20 10:00:06

So is your birth certificate and yet people can use it to prove nationality...

Curiosity101 Fri 22-May-20 10:00:24

*cases because I reckon

Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 10:00:55

Replying to:

"SnackSizeRaisin Fri 22-May-20 09:57:04
Seems very unlikely give that there's no evidence that you can become immune to this disease. Until either antibody levels are shown to correlate with immunity and the duration of that immunity is know, or until there is a vaccine that is widely available, this will not happen. Hence it will be at least 18 months away by which time things will have largely returned to normal.
YABU for thinking this will ever happen! "

Well if people get a result showing they have had it I am sure some employers will use that and get people back in or stop WFH ... there are million test kits ordered and once lots of people have results the next step would be to say ok then if you have had it do this or that.... especially where work is concerned

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 22-May-20 10:03:46

We have good antigen infections currently - showing that you actually have the virus and are infectious.
But at the moment the antibody tests have poor sensitivity and specificity so give both false positives and false negatives as to who is immune. Plus we have no idea if immunity is permanent or temporary. Do certificates would be inaccurate and potential give a false sense of security.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 22-May-20 10:06:36

This is the most important comment about these test kits.

Dr Ron Daniels, a consultant in critical care at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, says: “If you test positive for antibodies, it’s likely you have a degree of immunity. We’re not sure for how long, and how much, so you shouldn’t stop [social] distancing, but best guess it is likely to be partially protective for at least a few months.”

AnxiousAnnie13 Fri 22-May-20 10:21:25

I agree with @Curiosity101 I think heathy people would be very tempted to attempt to catch it so that they can then go out, get back to work, earn much needed money, see family etc.

BelfastNonBlonde Fri 22-May-20 10:28:12

I think it sounds horrendous and an absolutely awful idea

How long will I be locked up for because I don’t have immunity? What all will
I be prevented from doing?

How will I get immunity? Vaccine only? What if I don’t want a vaccine? Where is my personal choice?
Who polices “non-certs” and how is it policed?

If it is a go-er...what else will “certificates” be introduced for in the future?

Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 10:58:35

Really valid points... it is scary for some and yet it might open the doors to return to school/work etc for others...

As previous poster mentioned antibodies show a degree of resistance and if I had had it and it wasn't too bade then I wouldn't worry...but the rest of us who haven't had it... who knows if mild or a killer... obviously though we all know broadly what 'category of risk we fit in'....

Not really sure where I sit on this one which is unusual since I usally have a definite opinion

Hingeandbracket Fri 22-May-20 11:00:54

YABU It's a stupid unworkable idea doomed to failure.

Sn0tnose Fri 22-May-20 11:08:01

I think that by the time all the research is done to discover whether having had the virus renders you immune or, if it does, for how long, we probably will have achieved herd immunity.

Also, looking at the infection rates, there are vastly fewer people who have had it than not. So how will that work if we don’t manage to develop a vaccine and minimal people have had the virus? Nothing will open up for (completely random figure) ten people in a town of 20,000 people.

Weallhavevalidopinions Fri 22-May-20 11:15:26

Good point snotnose.... there are highly likely vastly less people who have had it than not.... maybe the ones that haven't had it yet will refuse to return to work... since 'unsafe'... imagine that

You are correct nothing will open up for people in a town of 20,000.

However, if 10 million antibody tests are being bought by the government and used to show who has had it and who hasn't then it isn't that big of a leap to think that 'some' employers might say if you have had it then you can do x/y/z duty because you are 'safer'

Penners99 Fri 22-May-20 11:29:58

I can see such certificates being used to allow/deny access to certain services such as trains, taxis and possibly even some shops.

AnxiousAnnie13 Fri 22-May-20 18:46:11

The only way I can really see certificates being used is for international travel. Places like New Zealand where they've pretty much got rid of it might say "yep you can come, but you need this certificate first"

lynzpynz Fri 22-May-20 18:57:04

There's at least 3 different strains already, immunity to one (which isn't proven) may not guarantee against the other strains or future strains which could evolve at any moment. Nice idea but sadly don't think this is feasible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »