Talk

Advanced search

Garden dilemma (light hearted)

(22 Posts)
Jannahanon Fri 22-May-20 09:11:59

I moved into a rented property over the winter, first time I've ever lived somewhere with some garden which is mine to look after. There are two patches of grass, about 4 feet by 8 feet each. I don't have any gardening stuff and due to lockdown I've not bought any. The grass is now 2 feet tall. A friend is coming over to strim it for me at the weekend- socially distant of course.
My dilemma is, how to look after the grass long term?
1) Buy a lawn mower
2) Get a rabbit
3) Hire a gardener

StCharlotte Fri 22-May-20 09:14:17

You can get a Flymo for £60 (or you could pre-lockdown).

Weepingwillows12 Fri 22-May-20 09:15:02

Make friends with neighbours and borrow theirs? Did you let unfurnished? In the past my landlord has mown for me every month but appreciate that's rare or one of my student ones left me a mower.

christmassausages Fri 22-May-20 09:17:38

As you have so little lawn to mow you could just get a manual push lawn mower. £40 on Argos. They deliver.

hippoherostandinghere Fri 22-May-20 09:18:59

Just buy a cheap electric mower to maintain the grass. It won't be difficult and they're cheap these days. You don't need a gardener for that little grass.

BelfastNonBlonde Fri 22-May-20 09:21:28

Ask a neighbour to borrow a mower..?

SuperFurryDoggy Fri 22-May-20 09:25:39

Depends whether you have a shed or similar to store a lawnmower in and how much it would cost to have it cut for you.

In our last house we were lucky enough to have a lovely old chap who knocked on our door and offered to cut our (not tiny) lawn for £5 a time! It was barely worth us buying, servicing and storing a mower for that so we used him instead.

No such luck here, sadly.

bluestarsatnightfall Fri 22-May-20 09:26:03

Cheap electric mower. I have to cut my front garden grass sometimes twice a week as it grows the fast and is full of bloody daisies!

Rubychard Fri 22-May-20 09:30:33

Hmm if its 2ft high you might need a strummer

Rubychard Fri 22-May-20 09:30:47

Strummer even

HalloHalloHallo Fri 22-May-20 10:13:41

See what your neighbours are doing. Do they cut their own or have a gardener? If they have gardeners you could ask them how much they charge. If a gardener is doing your neighbours they might not charge much to do a few people together? Otherwise get a mower. For grass area that small you could even do a push mower which are about £30 or £40 online.

katmarie Fri 22-May-20 10:19:29

If you dont want to spend a lot, have a look on ebay or fb market place for a second hand lawn mower. If you're planning on going down the animal route, a sheep might be a better option. 😆

TheHighestSardine Fri 22-May-20 10:26:44

Ask your landlord if they have one, or if they'll be looking after the grass.

Potionqueen Fri 22-May-20 10:29:25

Buy a goat.

ZigZaggyZoo Fri 22-May-20 10:30:13

Aldi do a great battery powered lawn mower so you wouldn't need to worry about where to plug it in/ extension lead etc

Cailleach1 Fri 22-May-20 12:44:26

A lawnmower is large for that amount of grass. You'd have to store it. You'd also have to have a hutch/run for the rabbit. Would take up that garden space too.

Hedge clippers (cheaper) would bring it down easily at the moment, even if not so pretty. Or scythe like Poldark!

C0RA Fri 22-May-20 13:00:38

I’d get rid of the grass completely, make a flower bed and a small patio with a seat to sit in the sun.

Ask the landlord for permissions and if they will contribute to the cost of materials.

milienhaus Fri 22-May-20 13:03:27

How about a nice goat?

Lillyhatesjaz Fri 22-May-20 16:57:31

With that amount of grass you could probably get away with a pair of shears if you don't want to buy or store a lawn mower.
I used to use the rabbit method she did a brilliant job and added fertiliser but needed really good fencing in and was inclined to dig holes

PorridgeStoat Fri 22-May-20 17:02:55

Strimmer or push lawnmower.

How much do you care about super neat grass? And how lazy are you? We have a small lawn and own both - you can't get it super neat with a strimmer but the push lawn mower is hard work. I know which I prefer wink

SunflowerSeedsForever Fri 22-May-20 17:04:43

Pair of scissors and a lot of patience

ATowelAndAPotato Fri 22-May-20 17:37:59

How about Guinea pigs? Similar fertilisation benefits with less digging! Plus piggie cuddles!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »