Advanced search

To send DD back to Nursery

(8 Posts)
overthinking88 Fri 22-May-20 08:50:54

This has probably already been done, so if so please feel free to add any links etc. I feel I just need to write it down for my own benefit.

DD(4) has attended a private day nursery since she was 8 months old. She loves the nursery, and we have had no issues sending her there. We both work full time. I work usual office hours, DH is a shift worker. We are both classed as key workers.

I was advised by my company to work from home just before lockdown happened, DH is a maintenance worker so doesn't have the option to work from home so has continued to go into work. We were offered a nursery place, but as I was at home, we agreed that we would keep DD at home. Her nursery did remain open, but most of the staff were furoughed and was amalgamated with other nurseries from the same franchise in the area. Another reason we kept her at home as she would have not really known any of the staff or the children and it wouldn't have been the same experience.

The nursery has now contacted us to say they are re-opening, hopefully on 1st June. They have given clear guidelines on how the new system will work in regards to PPE, social distancing (as much as you can with a many 4 year olds etc). But i am still in 2 minds about sending her back. I know the risks are getting smaller, however I think having her at home and being in her own 'bubble' for a sense has really helped.

We have also been really careful around contact etc. I have not left the house for 9 weeks other than to go for a walk or run. DH, as he has still been at work has been doing the food shops etc. We haven't seen family at all. I suppose I have just got used to this quite quickly and am now scared of damaging all the good work everyone has done.

Work have said they see us WFH for the foreseeable future, but can't give an exact date we will be expected back. It's unlikely it will be before Sept but it could be possible. However my work have said they know there a lot of us in this situation so they would have to look at everyones case on an individual basis. DD is due to start Reception in September.

Guess I'm looking for anyone else who is in the same/similar situation and what they are thinking of doing

sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 22-May-20 10:20:33

2 similar threads x

Star81 Fri 22-May-20 10:25:01

I don’t think you can ask this. It’s a very personal decision as different people have very different views on it.

However, remember this is a virus it won’t ever just ‘go away’ so you are going to have to leave your bubble at some point.

Ethelfleda Fri 22-May-20 10:34:39

I think you and I posted similar threads at the same time, OP so I am preparing for the forum police to tips us to shreds grin

Ethelfleda Fri 22-May-20 10:34:54

*rip us

Freddiefox Fri 22-May-20 10:35:50

What are they planning in regards to PPE?

Spillinteas Fri 22-May-20 10:36:38

My dd2 will be going back on the 1st of June. She’s very excited to see her friends

user1493494961 Fri 22-May-20 10:48:56

What is the situation like where you live? We live in a current 'hotspot' so wouldn't send a child back yet, other family live in an area with very few cases so they would likely act differently to me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »