Talk

Advanced search

To think there is nothing wrong with this

(10 Posts)
Undeuxtrois3 Thu 21-May-20 21:58:03

A while ago I saw a thread about a mother who was concerned about a politician messaging her daughter . A lot of people were saying this politician had to be a paedophile . I have a son who is 16 and he regularly meets and receives messages and letters off several politicians yet I have never thought anything of it. Our local MP is lovely and she regularly invites him to events like campaigning and has his number. It has never bothered me as he just really enjoys politics.

We do live in elsewhere in Europe so perhaps that makes a difference but do you think this is innaproprite or weird from adults to have my child's number and be in contact with him ?

LeopardPrintTits Thu 21-May-20 22:01:26

Presumably teachers contact your child via email or other means, but you wouldn’t call them paedophiles! What decides whether they are paedophiles or not is the content of the messages. If the messages are professional and about work then you should have nothing to worry about.

FortunesFave Thu 21-May-20 22:05:28

I have to admit that I thought the same way as you do when I saw that thread OP. I felt he was being kind and mentoring her.

AllTheWhoresOfMalta Thu 21-May-20 22:06:04

Is it 1977 and is your son William Hague? My time machine works!

AllTheWhoresOfMalta Thu 21-May-20 22:06:47

Picture didn’t attach 😂

Mythica Thu 21-May-20 22:14:58

The general rule of thumb for safeguarding here is that your child knows to tell you if an adult tries to initiate secret contact. That should never be normalised.
As long as you are aware of the contact and the content and everyone involved is aware of this, I see no problem.

user1635482648 Thu 21-May-20 22:16:55

Safeguarding measures don't prevent anyone providing mentoring, so why would someone disregard them?

LouiseTrees Thu 21-May-20 22:19:31

The difference I felt in that thread was it was a teenage girl and the OP I think also had sons. I suspect they would not have reacted in the same way with the sons as with the daughter.

user1635482648 Thu 21-May-20 22:20:13

Grooming.

Predators don't launch straight in to being inappropriate. They build trust first and use that to manipulate. They make their target feel special.

Some of these comments are very naive.

LouiseTrees Thu 21-May-20 22:30:06

I agree user but did you read the previous thread and details given?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »