Talk

Advanced search

To get cross at the drumming for NHS clap

(110 Posts)
coffeeandjuice Thu 21-May-20 20:23:15

I put my kids to bed at 7pm.

By 8pm the massive drums come out over the road and the aim seems to be to make as much noise as possible which then disturbs the kids.

I mean it's been weeks now...

Is it just because I'm at this stage in life that I dread The Clap?

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 21-May-20 20:25:03

Well here it’s dying out- literally a 3rd of people are still bothering to clap

unappreciativeoh Thu 21-May-20 20:25:39

Hate every bit of it. No sign of it dying down here, in fact it’s getting worse.

FTMF30 Thu 21-May-20 20:25:54

I feel the same. It died down last week so I thought that was that. But it came back with a vengance this eve - pot banging and fireworks. No sleep for DS.

LST Thu 21-May-20 20:26:00

I really can't be bothered with it anymore. The karaoke the neighbours boom out for the hour before every week. The honking horns, the banging pans and the fireworks set my poor dog off for the rest of the night.

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Thu 21-May-20 20:29:10

I had a really bad day today, I am feeling under a lot of pressure on so many fronts and I refused to let peer pressure get me out of the house to clap when I’m feeling so in edge.

I hope they don’t judge me but I won’t care if they do, it seems to me I am one of the very few who still behaves as if we are in lockdown.

RootBeerFloat43 Thu 21-May-20 20:30:10

YANBU. I don't mind the clapping but the bloody beating saucepans etc really annoys me. And I'm actually a clinical NHS worker so I'm not just being a twat! Tbh, I find the clapping thing very trite, although some of my co-workers do appreciate it (funnily enough the ones that have found a million excuses to not see Covid patients) There was an article in TheGuardian that really resonated
www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/21/nhs-doctor-enough-people-clapping

user127819 Thu 21-May-20 20:30:46

It is dying down, but there's a core population in my area that still do it, and they are also the ones who don't clap, but rather shout and bang things and let fireworks off. I completely forgot about it today until I heard yelling at 8pm. I feel like they'll never stop and one day when my grandchildren ask me, "grandma, why is it traditional to have firework displays at 8pm every Thursday?" I can tell them the whole story.

Rosehip10 Thu 21-May-20 20:32:23

It's never going to end - would any politician dare not to clap!

sittingonacornflake Thu 21-May-20 20:32:44

It's perfectly possible to be a clinical NHS worker and a twat by the way grin

Whenwillthisbeover Thu 21-May-20 20:33:39

It’s one minute every week, can you manage 1 out of 10080 minutes a week? With the doors and windows closed.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Thu 21-May-20 20:35:36

I have never heard any clapping ever round here, not once, even at the start. We are clearly all massive wankers.

HeyBlaby Thu 21-May-20 20:35:37

The noise is increasing where I am. As if it is even for the NHS any more 'I'm dancing in front of my house for the NHS' and 'I'm singing/playing the trumpet for the NHS'

No you're not, you're doing it for attention. Piss off, and take the fireworks with you.

Rosehip10 Thu 21-May-20 20:36:09

@Whenwillthisbeover It's not "one minute" though is it - in many places its 30 mins or more of bands, karaoke, people dressing up and yelling etc

Soubriquet Thu 21-May-20 20:37:09

It does seem to be dying here too but still doesn’t stop them using an air horn?!!

1Morewineplease Thu 21-May-20 20:39:31

Didn’t hear a peep round my way... possibly due to local NHS staff saying ‘please don’t .’
Too many folk were not adhering to social distancing and using it as an opportunity to party in the streets.

LST Thu 21-May-20 20:40:05

@whenwillthisbeover doesn't really drown out the fireworks and beeps does it. Especially for a dog.

HeyBlaby Thu 21-May-20 20:41:48

@Rosehip10 we had Elvis on the balcony of his house last week in full regalia, multiple very loud speakers, could hear it for ages away.

AgeLikeWine Thu 21-May-20 20:43:48

It’s up-your-game, next-level advanced virtue signalling.

1984isnow Thu 21-May-20 20:44:42

It's quieter here this week too, but last week some twat sang her heart out with 'I will always love you'. So cringey.

x2boys Thu 21-May-20 20:45:41

Ah the weekly I don't want to clap thread🙄

justanotherneighinparadise Thu 21-May-20 20:46:58

It’s ramped up here 🙄

We had music full blast at 7.50pm that lasted about 20 mins. Simply the Best Tina Turner, Come on Eileen 🙈. Car hooters, shouting and cheering. All whilst I’m trying to get my kids to bed with the windows open.

Enough already!

Tigerty Thu 21-May-20 20:50:08

There’s less people out but those that are make a racket. Tonight there was pots and pans, cheering, a trumpet, loud barking by large dog and car horns from people driving past. Didn’t hear any clapping.

There’s me, wfh key worker getting cross because I’m still in my office working as there’s so much to do at the moment and it broke my concentration <grinch>

It’s become virtue signalling and I’m expecting a letter at some point from a disgruntled neighbour at what they perceive as my lack of participation.

Given that I’ve also declined two street parties in the last week or so suspect my name is mud. Don’t care.

Glad there’s a bank holiday coming up, I’m shattered which I realise is making me rather grumpy.blush

DownADirtRoad Thu 21-May-20 20:51:02

It’s one minute every week, can you manage 1 out of 10080 minutes a week? With the doors and windows closed.

The various noises and songs using speakers go on for an hour here. 😳 Even with double glazed windows shut, I’ve had to turn the TV up so I can hear it.

Stannisbaratheonsboxofmatches Thu 21-May-20 20:52:05

Seems to be going strong here. Only a short time but lots of noise and neighbours saying hi to each other.

I don’t think it should stop in case it wakes someone’s baby/ small child. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »