Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone could ever solve the riddles on quiz show 3-2-1?

(12 Posts)
Settle59 Thu 21-May-20 19:30:52

I suspect that most of you mumsnetters are infinitely more highbrow than I in terms of your televisual tastes.
However, these were an absolute mystery to me watching 3-2-1 in the 80s.

They typically went along the lines of:
"My first is in banana, but not in hoover
You may be talking about this around the water cooler.."

OK so my less than ideal parody of a 3-2-1 riddle, but, you know what i mean did anyone actually get them???

I love watching 3-2-1 on the Challenge TV channel just for the perms and questionable 80s fashions!!

Iamnotminterested Thu 21-May-20 19:31:53

Nope! blush

Pelleas Thu 21-May-20 19:35:54

No! When I was a child I assumed I couldn't get them because I was too young.

Then I saw a few episodes as an adult on UK Gold and I realised I couldn't get them because they were nonsense.

I actually have a theory - I think the producers knew all along what prize they wanted to give away, so they deliberately made the riddles unintelligible so they could match them to whatever prizes they wanted.

Pelleas Thu 21-May-20 19:38:57

I used to love the way the opening titles incorporated the chevron from the Yorkshire TV logo! Such innocent times!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7Xe3y22GQ

FOJN Thu 21-May-20 19:39:32

I was only in my teens so no I don't think I ever did but I found this gem.

^You’d be dumb not to choose the prize that drives, and also rhymes with star?’

You take the first two letters from the 3rd & 15th words, which spells ‘dust’. What do you do with dust? Put it in a bin – You’ve won Dusty Bin!^

How would any one arrive at Dusty Bin from the clue, the most obvious answer would be car!

Settle59 Thu 21-May-20 19:41:40

I realised I couldn't get them because they were nonsense

grin

So relieved to hear it's not just me!!
Haha - you're theory may be correct!!

The things is - and I'm being honest - the contestants in 3-2-1 didn't really seem to be the 'university challenge demographic' if you see what I mean - they seemed like the type of people who would sit on the next table to us in our hotel restaurant on holiday in Palma Nova circa 1985 - if you catch my drift.................

Note - we were not the type of family that did driving holidays in France......

Settle59 Thu 21-May-20 19:43:54

Pelleas - Yorkshire TV were the only local station that did something 'creative' with their logo! - unless you count Benny Hill ripping through the Thames TV logo!

Pelleas Thu 21-May-20 19:46:45

There was another Thames one for Morcambe and Wise, but not a patch on the Yorkshire chevron magically turning a bin to life!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J07CTJbyv8E&frags=pl%2Cwn

BissueTox Thu 21-May-20 19:47:18

Palma Nova is not in France wink

Settle59 Thu 21-May-20 19:49:52

BissueTox - I know what I meant was we were a package holiday type family that went to place like Palma Nova and loved 'evening entertainment' - we holidayed with the likes of the type of characters in the sitcom 'Phoenix Nights' - we didn't do the educated/sophisticated 'driving around France' thing..iyswim

Pelleas Thu 21-May-20 19:50:48

the contestants in 3-2-1 didn't really seem to be the 'university challenge demographic'

Here's a great idea for a show wink - pit the Eggheads against the 3-2-1 riddles. My money's on 3-2-1!

Settle59 Thu 21-May-20 19:56:10

Pelleas - good idea - Eggheads does 3-2-1!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »