Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour and sodding sax

(34 Posts)
arcticroller Thu 21-May-20 17:04:24

Neighbour plays his saxophone out of his front window at 4.30 every day since lockdown started. He's fairly mediocre at playing it. He brings it out for the carer clap some Thursdays.

Another neighbour further down the road is also playing some kind of brass instrument out of their window every day.

Why the exhibitionism? Do they think they're lifting the mood? It's not the most unpleasant sound but I wish they would stop, or shut the window, or play in a back room.

I'm not enjoying lockdown.

recycledteenager24 Thu 21-May-20 17:06:28

sounds awful op

Tizzwazz Thu 21-May-20 17:12:57

Here too although it is a clarinet.

theconstantinoplegardener Thu 21-May-20 17:13:50

Are they actually poking their instrument out of the window, or are they perhaps standing near the window to benefit from the natural light, and the music is drifting out through the open window? Either way, presumably they're not playing for long periods and daily practice is essential for musicians, so I do think you're being a bit unreasonable.

Lordfrontpaw Thu 21-May-20 17:15:21

Get a vevuzuela (or whatever those things are called?) or set of drums.

Ijustreallywantacat Thu 21-May-20 17:16:00

Well he needs to practise some time if he's trying to learn. I'd cut him a little slack seeing as it's not the middle of the night.

Lordfrontpaw Thu 21-May-20 17:17:24

It’s not quite in the same leave as the videos of opera singers in Italy!

We had a string quartet playing on their drive a little while ago (family of musicians, dad is a teacher st the school of music). They would play a little concert once a week. Flippin police shut them down!

Itsbeforepartb Thu 21-May-20 17:33:30

I hate it, along with the ones who set a microphone up outside so a 12 year old can sing you'll never walk alone or something. I know I am grumpy.

SE13Mummy Thu 21-May-20 17:37:30

I guess if it's being played at the same time every day it gives you an opportunity to avoid it/put ear plugs in or take other aversive action.

BillieEilish Thu 21-May-20 17:39:31

I have an opera singer above me, she can sing one note over and over at the most enormous volume for half an hour. One note.

Then the scales.

Then she plays the flute. Same thing, repetition, over and over. Not one room in my flat is exempt.

I do not know when she will start or stop and once she starts it's a minimum of 2 hours solid.

I have complained, I have taken it to court.

I am leaving next Thursday. Moving out. It nearly has killed me and my DD. It is a form of torture. People and their bloody instruments.

NO consideration, absolutely none. (and I play(ed) instruments but would never have inflicted this on anyone)

Don't live in a flat then? Well, they should not live in a flat either IMO.

I empathise OP

LemonPudding Thu 21-May-20 17:40:56

Sorry, OP, but I'm laughing at the image.

JackiFazaki Thu 21-May-20 17:42:02

We get a cello.

Badly played, by some older bod, who has never, ever, bothered their pretentious arse to respond to a "good morning" in normal times.

"Somewhere over the rainbow"

Out of tune. Every. Sodding. Week.

rslsys Thu 21-May-20 17:46:32

Bugger - misread sax for sex, as you were . . .

okiedokieme Thu 21-May-20 17:47:31

Be grateful you are not next to me, I seem to have a jazz band here - both DD's bf's are staying here and all four play noisy instruments (I'm used to it, dd1 plays 5 instruments and sings) luckily we are detached! Any wonder I've only just come home after 2 months away at dp's (have to work now)

JackiFazaki Thu 21-May-20 17:47:58

@BillieEilish that is just pure torture, I'm so sorry. I hope that you move to a lovely quiet place and thrive flowers

BillieEilish Thu 21-May-20 17:54:52

@JackiFazaki Thanks so much grin It's taken me nearly 5 years to finally admit defeat and hand in notice, what a pain.

Can't wait to go. I am in super lockdown and finally allowed to leave! (Spain)

Wecandothis99 Thu 21-May-20 18:06:37

I clicked on this because I thought it said sex! I need glasses! Sax is too boring so I'm off

Lordfrontpaw Thu 21-May-20 18:08:01

Ohhhh - a recording of sexy noises played on speakers out the window perhaps?

JesusInTheCabbageVan Thu 21-May-20 18:09:30

Buy a kazoo and play along with him - just a tiny bit off key but not so much it sounds deliberate.

Lordfrontpaw Thu 21-May-20 18:10:27

Comb and tissue paper or the spoons? You don’t need to go completely mad...

theThreeofWeevils Thu 21-May-20 18:20:11

One of my neighbours has also seen this as a chance to spend more time with his saxophone. He plays to a good standard, so that's not the issue, but I do get irritated with his choice of what to play overlaying my choice of listening.
The odd thing is that until March, I'd never heard a note from that house.

Willowmartha1 Thu 21-May-20 18:56:37

I read this as neighbours and sex !!

arcticroller Thu 21-May-20 19:46:48

He's now standing on the street shaking a tambourine hmm

He does have to practice, I accept that, but I never heard any instruments before lockdown. Compared to the tambourine the sax is looking quite good now!

Hopeisnotastrategy Thu 21-May-20 19:50:54

I’m fairly sure that if “they are poking their instrument out the window” that is still an arrestable offence.

Even in these enlightened times.

arcticroller Thu 21-May-20 19:57:39

There's now a guitar and singing with a fucking microphone in the street. It's never just an innocent bit of sax! That's just how it starts...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »