Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - walk on the left hand side?

(4 Posts)
BluebellCockleshell123 Thu 21-May-20 11:56:20

Like most people, I’ve been out on a lot of walks & cycles recently during the lockdown and sometimes find I’m zigzagging across the path having to second guess what side the people approaching are going to go to.

I used to live in a European country where generally speaking everyone walked on the right... the same side as they drove on.

If we all walked on the left then it would be easy to pass or overtake people whether walking or cycling.

Is this a good plan or I being ridiculous? Do I need to draw a diagram? grin

OP’s posts: |
cologne4711 Thu 21-May-20 11:59:11

No you are not being ridiculous. People should walk on the left and use the left hand path where there are two!

Unless it's a shared path and the bikes have been given the left hand side.

Brits have terrible pavement discipline. I did have someone try to mansplain to me the other week that I should be running on the opposite (right hand) pavement. Nope.

FOJN Thu 21-May-20 12:01:52

I always walk on the right so that I'm facing on coming traffic. It was drummed into me as a child and it's a habit that's stuck. I live on a road with no footpath and I notice some people also always walk on the right and for others it's random. I also went to a school which had outgrown the original building so the corridors were quite narrow for the number of people using them so we had quite strict school rules about which side of the corridor to walk on.

SoupDragon Thu 21-May-20 12:02:37

I did have someone try to mansplain to me the other week that I should be running on the opposite (right hand) pavement. Nope.

So you think you should be running up behind walkers on the left where they can't see you?

When you're walking in the road you walk on the opposite side to drivers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »