Talk

Advanced search

To visit my Dad in his garden?

(32 Posts)
BrokenBrit Thu 21-May-20 10:56:15

Key info: my dad has had Covid and made a full recovery. He isn’t especially vulnerable. He has now injured his ankle and so can’t drive or meet in the park. I’ve not seen him since Mid Feb when he came home from Italy with Covid. He lives on his own, less than an hour from home. I would be able to hold my bladder for a 3 hour in total trip and wouldn’t go in his home or have a drink.
I haven’t broken any lockdown rules or even met anyone for a walk, so I am feeling anxious about this but he is becoming increasingly isolated and lonely. He suggested I could pop over this weekend and sit at opposite ends of his garden? I think it seems low risk all round tbh but I am worried I am losing all perspective at the min!

OP’s posts: |
PammieDooveOrangeJoof Thu 21-May-20 10:57:16

You can meet one person 2 m away outside so can’t see why not

Mrsjayy Thu 21-May-20 10:57:53

Just go take him some shopping will relieve your guilt.

CherryStoneTree Thu 21-May-20 10:58:56

Depends if you’re in England/wales etc I guess?

foamrolling Thu 21-May-20 10:59:22

I would. I met my parents up a mountain this week - very much against the rules in Wales but also very much low risk. We kept 2m apart the whole time. My mum has been struggling with lockdown and missing us all. I'm happy to break the rules to safeguard her mental health as its less risk than some of the stuff we're actually allowed to do.

happystory Thu 21-May-20 10:59:42

I don't see the problem and sounds like he needs it

Mrsjayy Thu 21-May-20 11:00:11

We don't have that 1 person rule here yet but how does that work out how do you choose what if you have adult. Children do you choose your "favourite" to meet in the parkhmm

SausageSimon Thu 21-May-20 11:01:10

I don't see the harm, we've isolated for 9+ weeks and so have my parents. We sit in their garden with them several times a week now and just sit well apart from each other.

We're trying to use common sense instead of following word for word

SebandAlice Thu 21-May-20 11:01:27

Yes I would. If he had it already and lives alone he won’t have caught it again. I am very cautious but would feel comfortable using his toilet in those circumstances.

BrokenBrit Thu 21-May-20 11:01:38

Thank you all, seems a consensus and I feel it would do him good. I’ll pack him some loo rolls and biscuits too so I’m not going empty handed grin.

Fluffybutter Thu 21-May-20 11:01:40

Yes , I am on Monday .
You can use his toilet or have a drink if your both sensible with hand washing and cleaning taps/door handles .
I’m taking my dad some well deserved beer

Fluffybutter Thu 21-May-20 11:03:08

@Mrsjayy meet one,one day and then the other the next ..

Fluffybutter Thu 21-May-20 11:03:26

*you're! Grrr

Fluffy40 Thu 21-May-20 11:04:26

Have a lovely time with your dad . 😀

BrokenBrit Thu 21-May-20 11:05:09

@Fluffy40 - you too, hope he enjoys his beer grin.

Mrsjayy Thu 21-May-20 11:05:24

Oo of course sneaky 😃

BlueSuffragette Thu 21-May-20 11:06:03

It will be fine. Go and enjoy spending time with your dad.

MereDintofPandiculation Thu 21-May-20 11:07:31

You could do it under the "supporting a vulnerable person" excuse. You need a prolonged chat with him to really work out whether he's coping.

TotorosFurryBehind Thu 21-May-20 11:09:13

As someone else said, using your common sense to risk assess the situation is more important than worrying about the exact letter of 'the rules'. I'd use the toilet too, should be low risk if you are careful with hand hygiene.

Mrsjayy Thu 21-May-20 11:18:32

My poor friend is tying themselves up in knots "being good" and hadn't seen her dad in months there is no star or badge for making your self miserable worrying about a parent imo.

EthelMayFergus Thu 21-May-20 11:26:35

I'm doing the same next week but visiting my dad's brother, I've been practising not going to the toilet for a few hours. Not because of the risk so much as the fact his cleaner hasn't been for two months. I hope you enjoy your visit smile

Fluffybutter Thu 21-May-20 11:39:47

@Mrsjayy@ That’s sad , I don’t see why any can’t if they’re careful .

Sleepyquest Thu 21-May-20 11:41:15

Definitely go and see him! I think the risk is extremely low

mumwon Thu 21-May-20 11:43:10

take garden tools with you - he is allowed to employ gardener

mumwon Thu 21-May-20 11:44:13

(take potty with you if necessary & wear/take full skirt smile grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »