Talk

Advanced search

To want to know more about Amazon UK and it's defunding or otherwise of Mumsnet?

(203 Posts)
12boo Thu 21-May-20 08:46:31

I saw (via twitter) that a spokesperson for audible has made some unpleasant remarks about MN users and they have pulled their MN advertising after complaints from "trans activists" that MN is a hive of "transphobic bigots" so I have cancelled my audible subscription because I find MN enormously supportive and I don't want to support a company that vows so readily to the "born in the wrong body- men are women if they say so" cult.
No clear response has come from Amazon itself in this matter. Does anyone know what their position is? TIa

SeasonFinale Thu 21-May-20 08:50:13

There are indeed many vocal transphobes on MN but I chose to ignore those threads and look at ones that interest me. They have voted with their feet the same as you have.

12boo Thu 21-May-20 08:53:15

So that's a "no" then

SeasonFinale Thu 21-May-20 15:53:11

That's a "they don't have to explain their actions any more than they have already; the same as you don't have to explain to anyone why you are choosing to no longer use their service" rather than a "no then".

Stevienickssleeves Thu 21-May-20 15:54:04

I would be interested to know this too

12boo Thu 21-May-20 21:14:36

No they don't have to. But I don't know what their position is in order to best choose how to spend my money. In the same way that My mother was able to choose to desist from buying Argentinian corned beef in the 80s

12boo Thu 21-May-20 21:16:08

Audible haven't explained their actions any further than a couple of sexist tweets tbh. Big momma Amazon haven't responded at all, so I was wondering if anyone had any further information

Chicchicchicchiclana Thu 21-May-20 21:24:22

As I understand it, some TRAs (trans rights activists) have been putting pressure on advertisers to boycott Mumsnet because the excellent FWR board has been lobbying for women's rights to counterpoint all all the denying of sex not gender that has been going on.

Some say that it is the havoc wreaked by the TRAs on the general advertising revenue received that has caused MN to be on it's arse and asking for donations from members.

I'm not sure because I only keep a part-time eye on what is going on. But that's my broad understanding anyway.

MonkeyToesOfDoom Thu 21-May-20 21:26:43

Spend your Audible money on a MN premium account. 👍

12boo Thu 21-May-20 21:32:00

Ah good idea
Maybe Amazon will respond to my email this week

Lordfrontpaw Thu 21-May-20 21:32:12

I am concerned that a self identified member of staff used a misogynist slur on social media (supposedly her job) and mentioned that people were dming her. Sounded like a mild threat to me.

Had she made a transphobic comment, Audible would be killing themselves to distance themselves from her and issuing grovelling apologies. But insult women and hey, that’s fine. If the pull sponsorship on the back of this then is shows they are just weasels.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 21-May-20 21:33:17

You must be very quick on the report button, SeasonFinale, because all these transphobic posts you see have gone by the time I get to the FWR board. I see women and some men expressing serious concern about safeguarding of children and erosion of women's rights, and I agree with them. How can we define sexism if we can't define sex?

zscaler Thu 21-May-20 21:33:59

Amazon is a horribly unethical company and hardly a bastion of human rights, but they’re not wrong that transphobia is completely rampant on MN.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 21-May-20 21:36:16

I don't have an Audible account and rarely use Amazon, but if they decide not to advertise here any more for any other than ordinary commercial reasons they're fools. Mumsnet has 12 million users, many of whom have enough disposable income to spend quite a bit on Audible and Amazon.

We're in for very rock times economically soon. All advertisers will be cutting back to save money. I would have thought that's why MN is struggling, not any sort of boycott by woke marketing people.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 21-May-20 21:37:07

Please do link us to examples, zscaler.

TerrorWig Thu 21-May-20 21:39:19

I’d love to see an example @zscaler or @SeasonFinale. I don’t even need you to link it. Just an example of what you’ve seen.

zscaler Thu 21-May-20 21:41:01

Please do link us to examples, zscaler.

gestures broadly at everything

PrincessConsueIaBananaHammock Thu 21-May-20 21:46:51

* gestures broadly at everything*

As in you don't actually have any examples?

Or do you just equate being pro women/women's rights as transphobic?

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 21-May-20 21:47:10

Most helpful. hmm Every single one of the dozens of topics in Talk is transphobic, including the ones about baking, dogs, TV shows, bereavement, crafting and gardening.

BubblyBarbara Thu 21-May-20 21:47:36

I hope all of you moaning about amazon not supporting MN have paid MN accounts

BlueBooby Thu 21-May-20 21:48:24

If it's rampant you should be able to find a proper example of it. Then we can report it and MN can remove it, as transphobic content goes against the guidelines.

TerrorWig Thu 21-May-20 21:50:39

gestures broadly at everything

Helpful.

RufustheLanglovingreindeer Thu 21-May-20 21:52:19

but they’re not wrong that transphobia is completely rampant on MN

Well they are wrong

There is transphobia, homophobia, sexism, racism etc

But reported and deleted in the main...so not rampant

Thisisworsethananticpated Thu 21-May-20 21:54:57

Amazon is a horribly unethical company and hardly a bastion of human rights, but they’re not wrong that transphobia is completely rampant on MN

This

wrongsideofhistorymyarse Thu 21-May-20 21:57:42

I'd love to see some actual examples of transphobia on Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »