Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to remind everyone to help save bees?

(56 Posts)
ItHappenedOneDay Wed 20-May-20 21:47:38

Just that...It's World Bee Day today. Was reading an article about the importance of bees (they're pretty important, it seems smile):
www.independent.co.uk/environment/world-bee-day-extinct-bees-biodiversity-risks-pandemic-coronavirus-a9522361.html

They're also having a hard time at the moment and suffering from their own viral disease. And of course so many habitats have been lost, including from people paving their small back gardens to create low maintenance outdoor 'living spaces'. AIBU to say that even those of us with tiny gardens/courtyards/balconies (including myself) should try to put out some bee-friendly plants or bee houses to encourage the bees? Just finished planting some lavender in pots.

Phifedean123 Wed 20-May-20 21:52:25

Yanbu 🐝🐝🐝
This week planted some alliums and forget me not plants

WatchoutfortheROUS Wed 20-May-20 21:53:05

I agree. We've gradually added plants to the garden over the last couple of years that the bees love smile

HaddawayAndShite Wed 20-May-20 21:56:35

Our garden is a bee haven. And in a month or so when the lavender is in full bloom our garden will be super noisy it sounds like a drone if you stand near it sometime. We also have masonry bees setting up in our summer house which I’m less than happy about but I’m not interrupting them.

ItHappenedOneDay Wed 20-May-20 22:04:13

My toddler loves bees right now (especially big fat bumblebees!). Every time one flies into our small yard, he runs round and round in a circle pretending to be a 'buzzy bee'. This tires him out, so I love them too grin.

Babymamaroon Wed 20-May-20 22:05:03

Great reminder - YANBU.

PlayinMay Wed 20-May-20 22:06:23

There’s a great book called ‘brilliant and wild’ which is full of easy, non-precious pollinator friendly plants to grow. The nempeta they recommended is buzzing with bees! And the alliums.

ItHappenedOneDay Wed 20-May-20 22:08:23

@PlayinMay

We'll have a look for that! We have a very small space, but keen to do what we can.

Tashface Wed 20-May-20 22:11:19

I made the mistake of leaving my shed door open for a few days/nights. After I finally shut it one evening, I saw a big bumble bee persisting in going up, down and around the door, looking as though it was trying to get in. I went out and opened the door, and the bee floated in and disappeared into a big box at the back. So I left the door open that night.

A couple of times since, I've tried shutting the door, only to have the bee come back from its outing, demanding to get in! As soon as I go and open the door, the bee drifts happily in and goes to the box.

I've given up shutting my shed door now. It feels mean locking the bee out!

winetime89 Wed 20-May-20 22:40:31

I have bumble bees living in the walls of
My house.
they come every year and I really like them and find them kinda fascinating.
Unfortunately there causing too much damage to the bricks so once there gone (they seem to go somewhere else around July time) we're going to fill all the holes in.
might look at making some sort of bee house for them instead.

LovingLola Wed 20-May-20 22:49:32

I planted a catmint last year - nepeta.
It had millions of bees for weeks
I planted 4 more recently

piraterach12 Wed 20-May-20 22:51:20

I've been keeping dd's water table topped up but with loads of toys floating in it. The bees have been flocking to have a little drink.

Kiki275 Wed 20-May-20 22:55:56

If anyone wants to put weed killer on dandelions, please remove the flowers first x

SerenDippitty Wed 20-May-20 23:00:33

I've ordered some foxgloves and buddleia.

LovingLola Wed 20-May-20 23:00:55

Wait till they have finished flowering !!

Proudboomer Wed 20-May-20 23:01:38

It is not just bee friendly plants they need but a source of water as well.
An old dish filed with marbles and water put amongst your flower beds will give them somewhere to drink from.

familygermsareok Wed 20-May-20 23:13:37

HaddawayAndShite we have had masonry bees living in the ventilation vents in the bottom of our house for about 4 years - just where I like to sit at the front door and have lunch/catch the sun. I was really worried at first but now I love them and they just fly round me, have never landed on me or my food. They apparently don't sting and they don't swarm. I don't think they damage buildings - not sure on this one. What are your concerns re summerhouse?
Lavender is fab for bees, isn't it. I love watching the bumbles on it smile

megletthesecond Wed 20-May-20 23:19:11

They're busy on the raspberry blossom at the moment. Every time I pass it I stop to watch them. Quite noisy when there's a few of them at the same time.
I leave dandelions living around the borders for them.

DDRickyDD Wed 20-May-20 23:20:50

YABU

Bee's are annoying and sting. Once my uncle sat on bee.

Burnout101 Wed 20-May-20 23:28:15

DDRickyDD - well that's conclusive then. Virtually everything alive will try and do you some level of damage if you sit on it 😉 Accidents happen obviously but you can't blame the bee!

failedasaparent Wed 20-May-20 23:31:02

Our garden is planned to maximise wildlife, we have this which the 🐝 love, it's like sitting next to a bee super highway when you sit under it like I did earlier.

GreekOddess Wed 20-May-20 23:32:30

Bees don't hurt as much as wasps!

InAGarden Wed 20-May-20 23:34:39

Bees are amazing and important pollinators . I do lots of things to encourage them into the garden, especially planting, they love my lupins at the moment. I’ve also sown lots of sunflowers and Limnanthes douglasii (poached egg plant ) which they like. As mentioned, a small bee bath to provide them water and bee hotels as a place to shelter or lay eggs are useful. Big fan of bees🐝

TooGood2BeTrue Wed 20-May-20 23:34:49

I love bees and we have tons of bee-friendly plants in our garden. Unfortunately it will be any day now that the farmer is going to spray pesticides onto the field behind our property like he does every year 🙁.

ItsGoingTibiaK Wed 20-May-20 23:35:09

@DDRickyDD

I hear your uncle is get absolutely trashed on BeesNet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »