Talk

Advanced search

Is asthma on the 'clinically vulnerable' list?

(83 Posts)
Russell19 Wed 20-May-20 17:30:46

I'm not talking about shielding, I'm talking about the government list of people who should follow extra precautions. This is for work purposes mainly.

I have seen it on government advice dated 11th May but I have been told advice has changed since then.

AIBU to think asthma is classed as clinically vulnerable?

lockdownstress Wed 20-May-20 17:31:42

Yes, stringent social distancing. Moderate risk. Not a reason to stay off work but can ask work to do a risk assessment.

anothernamechangeagain Wed 20-May-20 17:32:36

Yes

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 20-May-20 17:36:36

Yes as long as you qualify for a flu jab. Some asthmatics will also be on the shielding list.

I think current advice is to avoid contact with others unless absolutely necessary, work from home if possible and avoid public transport.

recycledteenager24 Wed 20-May-20 17:37:23

yes it is, my dh has asthma and is on 12 week self isolation as am i being diabetic.

Pipandmum Wed 20-May-20 17:40:59

My friend goes through an inhaler every other week it seems but is not on any list (also has high cholesterol a blood pressure). I have type 1 diabetes. Both just under 60 and neither of us have had a letter or any extra advice so we are just following the regular guidelines.

RhymingRabbit3 Wed 20-May-20 17:43:24

Yes although there are differing levels of asthma - some people have asthma attacks regularly, have to take steroids, are sometimes hospitalized or use a nebulizer.

Other people have a salbutamol inhaler which they have to take when they have a cold or do exercise.

You could ask your doctor for advise or assess the risk yourself. If you have mild asthma then you may not need to strictly isolate - I'm not.

RhymingRabbit3 Wed 20-May-20 17:44:37

I think current advice is to avoid contact with others unless absolutely necessary, work from home if possible and avoid public transport.
That's the same advice as everyone

ToothFairyNemesis Wed 20-May-20 17:46:00

@Pipandmum if you are vulnerable rather than clinically extremely vulnerable then you don’t ger a letter. You just look up your own condition on the vulnerable list.

Aragog Wed 20-May-20 17:46:09

I believe it is in the clinically vulnerable group.

Wherever possible you should work from home and continue being extra careful.

If you really can't work from home your work place should carry out a full risk assessment to ensure you are able to maintain social distancing and that your work place is safe for you before you return.

Calic0 Wed 20-May-20 17:47:10

My DH is asthmatic and has been getting a lot of updates from Asthma UK. Might be worth looking at their current guidance?

www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/coronavirus-covid-19/

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 20-May-20 17:47:53

Both just under 60 and neither of us have had a letter or any extra advice so we are just following the regular guidelines.

Only those on the extremely vulnerable list will have got a letter.

Although now I think about it there does seem to be an enormous flaw in that plan.

MrsLestrade Wed 20-May-20 18:01:09

This is probably the same advice that you found dated 11th May but I copy it here in case it is helpful to anyone:

Clinically vulnerable people
If you have any of the following health conditions, you are clinically vulnerable, meaning you are at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus. You are advised to stay at home as much as possible and, if you do go out, take particular care to minimise contact with others outside your household.

Clinically vulnerable people are those who are:

aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (that is, anyone instructed to get a flu jab each year on medical grounds):
chronic (long-term) mild to moderate respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), or cerebral palsy
diabetes
a weakened immune system as the result of certain conditions, treatments like chemotherapy, or medicines such as steroid tablets
being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
pregnant women
As above, there is a further category of people with serious underlying health conditions who are clinically extremely vulnerable, meaning they are at very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus. You, your family and carers should be aware of the guidance on shielding which provides information on how to protect yourself still further should you wish to.

This is different to those who have been advised to shield:

Who is ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’?

Expert doctors in England have identified specific medical conditions that, based on what we know about the virus so far, place someone at greatest risk of severe illness from COVID-19.

Clinically extremely vulnerable people may include the following people. Disease severity, history or treatment levels will also affect who is in this group.

Solid organ transplant recipients.
People with specific cancers:
people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
people with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe chronic obstructive pulmonary (COPD).
People with rare diseases that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), homozygous sickle cell).
People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.
Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.
People in this group should have been contacted to tell them they are clinically extremely vulnerable.

cheeseslovesme Wed 20-May-20 18:03:52

Went to chemist for inhaler and steroid, She asked me if I had a letter to shield. I haven’t and said no . She said “ Well you really should be shielding for 12 weeks” I had to tell her that I’m still working and being careful. I think it really depends on how bad you are .

Thebig3 Wed 20-May-20 18:06:34

Not everyone with Asthma is in the vunerable list. Asthma UK website has all the up to date information.

That is where you should be getting your information from.

Pipandmum Wed 20-May-20 18:11:14

Thanks @ToothFairyNemesis. I never expected to get a letter as I have good control, but I'm sticking to the guidelines (as is everyone I know). My neighbour has had two heart attacks in the last 18 months and bypass surgery and is on loads of meds and even he didn't get a letter!

Russell19 Wed 20-May-20 18:15:42

Does anyone have a link the the most current 'clinically vulnerable' list. No idea where my friend has had it from the asthma is no longer on there.

Some really helpful advice thanks to everyone. I'll be contacting my GP I think fir more specific advice to me. I would say I have moderate asthma, have had steroids in the past and was hospitalised twice when younger.

MrsLestrade Wed 20-May-20 18:19:45

The list I posted upthread is the current list from the gov.uk website.

Russell19 Wed 20-May-20 18:22:30

@mrslestrade that's what I thought! Thank you. Do you have a date on that document you have copied it from? I'm expecting a call from work tomorrow and don't want them to shock me with any advice I haven't seen.

NoNamesNoPackDrillHere Wed 20-May-20 18:23:03

If they had used 2 completely terminologies it would have made things a lot more easy to understand!

MrsLestrade Wed 20-May-20 18:25:22

It was last updated 11th May.

NoNamesNoPackDrillHere Wed 20-May-20 18:27:02

@MrsLestrade posted latest advice, which is what you thought.

NooneElseIsSingingMySong Wed 20-May-20 18:30:44

The information keeps changing which doesn’t help. I think currently it’s if you are on certain inhalers (with high steroid dose) such as Fostair, take Montelukast and have needed 4 courses of steroids in the last 6 months or take continuous steroids. I’ll attach a photo from the Asthma U.K. website. There’s two Facebook groups for asthmatics in the UK I’ve found really helpful, one specifically for COVID19 and one general group.
However I haven’t received a letter and my GP doesn’t class me as shielding even though I had a chest infection 9 weeks ago (May or may not have been COVID!), I’ve needed 3 courses of steroids, started on Montelukast and changed to Fostair? Fortunately I work in a hospital who and occ health reviewed my history and said they wanted me to shield regardless.

TheModicum Wed 20-May-20 18:31:41

My friend goes through an inhaler every other week

Not the point of the thread, but anyone who goes though their inhalers this quickly would benefit from a medication review with the asthma nurse/clinic/whatever the local provision is, @Pipandmum. They may not be on the right kind of drug for their symptoms.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 20-May-20 18:32:54

I think half the problem is that once the shielding letters started coming out everyone forgot the clinically vulnerable list existed, Nonames, but I agree different names would have helped.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »