Talk

Advanced search

'We will decide when the lakes are open' AIBU to be irritated?

(342 Posts)
Aberforthsgoat Wed 20-May-20 11:22:26

Just been on the phone to my cousin who lives in the Lakes. We were discussing how Cumbria has been really badly hit; I was saying how gutted we are to miss our Lakes holidays this year but how I hope it gets under control for the residents, and we are so looking forward to being able to go when we can.
My cousin said 'IF you can come'
And I acknowledged that of course, we would absolutely not come until it's safe for everyone to do so and government says we can; even then we would make our own risk judgement
My cousin responded by saying, quite smugly 'it doesn't matter what the government says,the people who live here will decide when its open, we are keeping people out at the moment'
She proceeded to tell me how much they all hate tourists and how they would blockade to keep people out if the government lets people visit too soon

I understand it must be scary and I would be worried if I live there too but AIBU for thinking this is quite a nasty reaction?! It's made me feel like actually maybe I won't go back, which I know is petulant and cutting off my nose to spite my face, but it's left a bad taste.

I had no intention of finding a loophole so I could go, I was talking about next year or the year after hopefully!

Aberforthsgoat Wed 20-May-20 11:23:01

Oh man I am irritated and IRRIYATED as well apparently grin

JudgeRindersMinder Wed 20-May-20 11:23:46

The way she spoke to you, her cousin, was a bit OTT

inwood Wed 20-May-20 11:24:41

Places like that need tourists to survive. I imagine she'll change her view soon enough.

PotholeParadise Wed 20-May-20 11:25:55

Do you get on normally?

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Wed 20-May-20 11:26:20

She sounds like a twat. It’s a tourist hotspot, a lot of the local economy relies on tourism. They don’t own it just because they live there and if they try to blockade public roads they’ll simply get arrested.

Zilla1 Wed 20-May-20 11:26:21

As you say, OP, people are scared. People in general say things to imply they have more agency or power in their lives. Given you didn't seem to give an unreasonable deadline, she's made herself sound silly given there will be a point in the future when travel is unrestricted and probably a point when tourism is encouraged. I wouldn't change your preferences based on what someone else says.

ruddynorah Wed 20-May-20 11:26:38

A lot of the nicest areas are doi g this. Smacks of 'go back to where you came from.' These beauty spots belong to all of us not just those who live there. I expect their shops and cafes once open will be falling over themselves to encourage people back.

Aberforthsgoat Wed 20-May-20 11:27:05

@potholeparadise yes! We've had a few headbutts over the years but we are very close normally. That's why I feel a bit hurt! I feel like I've been thoroughly told off even though I wasn't planning on going for ages, until we can and until I feel it's safe on top of that. I was merely commenting on how much I miss it as it's such a beautiful place

CrispPacket Wed 20-May-20 11:27:27

A ridiculous response from someone who lives somewhere where tourism has such a massive impact. I totally understand your irritation. Of course everyone needs to stay safe however hmm

ILikeyourHairyHands Wed 20-May-20 11:28:02

I'd let her crack on. I live in a national park and I'd love to see tourists back. Come to the Peaks instead!

CrispPacket Wed 20-May-20 11:28:30

@ruddynorah exactly!

HavelockVetinari Wed 20-May-20 11:28:32

There's a lot of this about at the moment unfortunately - I live in the Peak District, and my village Facebook group is full of people frothing about visitors, as if they own the whole of Derbyshire! It's ridiculous.

Once the government have decided it's ok to travel, then it's ok to travel, never mind what these ridiculous NIMBY types say.

okiedokieme Wed 20-May-20 11:30:09

Half of the residents depend on tourists for their income, I'm sure they are not planning on taking part in illegal blockades. The reality is that they do not own the Lake District therefore it's a case of the government making the laws. If hospitality reopens on the 4th July they have no choice sorry. I was in another National Park last weekend and it wasn't busy, people distanced and the ice cream van (only thing open) was doing a roaring trade, helping that family keep its head above water. Tourism is people's livelihoods

WorraLiberty Wed 20-May-20 11:31:43

She proceeded to tell me how much they all hate tourists and how they would blockade to keep people out if the government lets people visit too soon

I would've been more amused than irritated.

Is your cousin generally prone to talking shit?

milveycrohn Wed 20-May-20 11:31:47

Pre lockdown, i always try to go away somewhere in the UK for a week. Some areas rely a lot on tourism.
However, the attitude of some local people has certainly made me think twice about it.
(Obviously, not going anywhere this year).
If lock down ends at some point this year, my inclination will be to go somewhere where I would be welcomed

Moondust001 Wed 20-May-20 11:31:55

I lived in Cumbria for three years. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of it. I found the people insular, narrow minded and bigoted. And that's at the best of times. Lovely scenery, shame about the people. I have never been back in over 20 years because of my experiences whilst living there, and I wouldn't support their tourism if it was the last place on earth left to visit. In my view, the only good thing about Cumbria is the M6 through it.

MoaningMinniee Wed 20-May-20 11:32:06

Actually she was just being truthful. That is how people in picturesque places feel right now. We wouldn't mind if our visitors all respected our social distance in narrow streets, didn't park in the passing places, poo behind the hedges, feed inappropriate stuff to the livestock, let their dogs chase sheep... Most visitors do, but there is a persistent minority who don't.

Aberforthsgoat Wed 20-May-20 11:34:16

But surely that's the case with any tourist hotspot @moaningminniee ?
Or any place lots of people live. I live in a city and we have people who behave appallingly and others who don't. It's human nature unfortunatelym

I understand being scared and I understand not wanting people there at the moment but I think this smug ownership attitude is extreme

Teenangels Wed 20-May-20 11:35:44

I absolutely hate this mind set.
I hate to think of locals thinking they own where they live, ie the scenery.
I also hate their absolute hatred of tourists, the people that keep the businesses going, the B&B full, the pubs open.
I know I for one it makes me less likely to visit an area where I am not welcome.

1forsorrow Wed 20-May-20 11:36:24

I live in a seaside town in South Devon. My town seems pretty much open for business, over the last week car parks have opened, toilets have opened, the ice cream kiosks have opened, the seafront cafes are open for take out, we can now go in a fish and chip shop and don't have to order for home delivery. I even saw a rock/bucket and spades shop open when I was in town. I was surprised but someone told me that as they sell ice cream and refreshments for take away they can open. Even the play park was open.

KKSlider Wed 20-May-20 11:36:57

People are scared and Cumbria currently has one of the highest infection rates in the country. Regardless of what the government says, if the numbers are still high then locals aren't going to want a loss of tourists arriving because it will potentially make those numbers go up even more and it puts a strain on local services which aren't always as large as those in the cities (e.g., hospitals).

GabriellaMontez Wed 20-May-20 11:37:28

Yanbu. Its bringing out a ridiculous NIMBY attitude in some.

I resent her assuming she can speak on behalf of Cumbria. A few vocals on Facebook does not represent the population.

KKSlider Wed 20-May-20 11:37:37

Loss = lots

PinkSpring Wed 20-May-20 11:37:55

She's a twat. Places like that rely on tourism - plus just because they live there doesn't mean the own the area or can control who visits.

I live in a tourist area, granted during the summer holidays I do mutter to myself about the increase in traffic, etc but I chose to live here!! Without the tourists, it would go downhill fast!!

We have quite a high population of elderly and people here are trying to act the same, telling people to stay away - which I think is ridiculous. If people can travel, they can go where they want. If they want to come here, I have no issue.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »