Advanced search

Council Tax exemption

(7 Posts)
Jcaranda22 Wed 20-May-20 10:34:31

I have applied for a short council tax exemption, as my flat is currently undergoing a complete refurbishment. The North Somerset Council have rejected my application as they state that the work is not structural. The flat is uninhabitable due to having no kitchen, new floor being fitted, no central heating, partial rewire, all socket, switches and roses are off the walls and ceilings, no internal doors bare floorboards, apart from plastering and decoration. Based on this, shouldn't the exemption apply. Shouldn't the criteria be if the property is inhabitable or not? Any advice or feedback appreciated. Thanks alot, Sandra

OP’s posts: |
RandomLondoner Wed 20-May-20 10:48:04

Assuming it's up to them (rather than national law) to set policy, it looks like what they've told you is consistent with what they say on their web-site. (I don't know if it is up to them, or whether their web-site is only their interpretation.)

you cannot claim a discount for:

replacement of a kitchen or bathroom
replacement windows
general refurbishment
rewiring, replumbing or plastering

RandomLondoner Wed 20-May-20 10:48:58

You could be entitled to a discount if you cannot live in your home because of:

a seriously defective roof that needs to be replaced
the removal of supporting walls or floor joists
substantial repairs needed to the foundations

Blabkb1rdB5858 Wed 20-May-20 14:16:20

The rules are normally pretty clear discount for eg
In a care home etc

I've lived in similar property
Àte takeaway or non hot food
Slept on blow up bed in sleeping bag
Lived in property with no central heating
Still had to pay full council tax
It's just about liveable, but unpleasant

Jcaranda22 Wed 20-May-20 14:25:45

Thanks for your feedback and information. Much appreciated. Thanks :-)

OP’s posts: |
Blabkb1rdB5858 Wed 20-May-20 14:40:46

I'm going to add that being a student or in a care home would be relatively easy to prove by providing documentation. It's a bit more black and white

Renovating a property is not so easy to prove and has so many combinations, it is grey, not black & white
One socket off wall or all ?
How long were the sockets off the wall ?

Ultimately the council need their money

I've heard that some councils charge double council tax for empty second homes

Viviennemary Wed 20-May-20 14:51:12

It's tough for you but councils have tightened up a lot on what makes a property eligible for discount. None of that would apply AFAIK.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »