Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to end new relationship over name error?

(164 Posts)
Whatsmyname8 Wed 20-May-20 07:52:16

I was seeing someone a couple of months before lockdown started. We’ve continued things as best we can during lockdown but obviously it’s hard not being able to see each other.
On two occasions now he’s called me the name of the last woman he seriously dated, supposedly 2 years ago.
Both times have been after he’s finished a night shift at work so has been pretty tired. The first I laughed off as a slip up but now he’s done it again.
AIBU to end things over this, would you? I don’t know if I’m being overly dramatic.

GreyishDays Wed 20-May-20 07:52:56

I wouldn’t smile

MarginalGain Wed 20-May-20 07:53:40

I would think it was weird and file it away rather than forgot about it, but not end something over it, no.

Spidey66 Wed 20-May-20 07:55:55

A couple of times ive called my sister in law my brother's ex's name (his kids mum). Ive been mortified.i wouldn't drop him for it.

Ughmaybenot Wed 20-May-20 07:56:09

On its own, yes I think you’d be overly dramatic to end a relationship over this. Back when DH was just DBoyfriend, I called him my ex’s name several times. I don’t know why, I wasn’t thinking about ex and I didn’t want to be with him instead, and hadn’t seen him for best part of a year.
Honestly tho, is there more to this? It seems a bit like you’re looking for a reason to end things with him?

Whatsmyname8 Wed 20-May-20 07:56:42

I’ve posted on here because I’m paranoid! The only other time this has happened to me, the man was seeing someone else. Now I’m 99% sure that isn’t the case here but my past experience may be impacting my reaction.

Splillinteas Wed 20-May-20 07:56:56

Irritating I know but I’ve done this. It’s a massive brain fart.

Even with friends some times I reel off numerous names that seemed to been plucked from fresh air before I get to theirs. Do it with my kids too blush

Splillinteas Wed 20-May-20 07:58:08

You probable feel a bit paranoid over it because you’ve not seen him for a while. Why don’t you talk to him about it?

Kittykat93 Wed 20-May-20 07:58:14

I called my dp my exes name twice. Id have been devastated if he considered splitting with me! In no way did it mean I wished I was back with my ex, or was thinking about him. But I was with my ex for 5 years, used to saying his name multiple times a day and it was just habit. If this guy hasn't done anything else wrong please don't break up with him just for this.

Lllot5 Wed 20-May-20 07:58:39

My mum is the worst for this. She called me Lindy once. That’s the dog!
It’s just a brain fart.

Whatsmyname8 Wed 20-May-20 08:00:19

My mum is the worst for this. She called me Lindy once. That’s the dog!

This is funny.

I do middle up my own kids names frequently. I probably am sensitive due to lockdown. It’s a shitty time to be starting a new relationship:

Pleasenodont Wed 20-May-20 08:01:53

I’ve reached that stage in life where I run through each of my children’s names and possibly DH’s name too before I reach the correct name, I feel like my Grandmother.

Having said that, calling a person you’ve just started dating your exes name is a poor show and yes, I would end things.

TheShoesa Wed 20-May-20 08:02:21

DH and his family all acidentally called me by the name of his previous girlfriend at the start of our relationship. I think it's one of those things that you can either let really get to you, or accept as a slip up and let go.

That said, if DH called me by her name now - 17 years down the line - I'd be more than a little pissed off!!

MsChatterbox Wed 20-May-20 08:04:32

I think if there's nothing else wrong in the relationship it would be silly to end it. Could be throwing something great away. I call my son my husband's name all the time. I'm terrible at doing this!

PerfectionistProcrastinator Wed 20-May-20 08:07:16

DP called me by his ex’s name a few weeks back in front of a lot of people. They haven’t been together in probably about 20 years! It was so ridiculous that it was funny.

I wouldn’t give it too much thought, just a blip smile

metalkprettyoneday Wed 20-May-20 08:08:11

No , too dramatic.
My DP did this a couple of times in the beginning and I acted all offended for a moment , although I had no doubts about him , it was just a slip - at least twice. ( 16 years later - not ran off with the ex)

chockaholic72 Wed 20-May-20 08:08:57

A woman who I now regard as my aunt Married my uncle 25 years ago - he was widowed when my mum’s sister died. I lover her to pieces but I STILL sometimes call her by my “first auntie’s” name. Don’t worry about it.

Mingusthebrave Wed 20-May-20 08:09:02

I think the night shift thing is significant.
When I worked nights, I would be completely vacant the next day.
I remember once at the doctors I couldn't remember my own name or address or birthdate. I'd have total blanks and it felt like bits of my brain wouldn't connect properly.

GingersHaveSoulsToo Wed 20-May-20 08:11:20

My Mum called me the dog's name occasionally too! It wasn't even human...
:-)

GingersHaveSoulsToo Wed 20-May-20 08:11:34

human name

ScrapThatThen Wed 20-May-20 08:11:55

If you mean you think he might still be with someone else then yanbu at all. And you can end it just because if it's feeling like hard work.

hauntedvagina Wed 20-May-20 08:12:18

I was seeing someone who called me by their ex's name, we've been married for a decade now so I'm pretty pleased I didn't end things over it.

I never did the name thing, but I did make the odd mix up myself, think buying a packet of my ex's brand of cigarettes for for my new partner (yes I know, smoking is hideous, but this was 15 years ago when it was still cool wink). Talking about something that we saw at the cinema together, only it wasn't with them.

Don't over think it, and if he does it again just make a joke of it, "what did you say 'insert your ex's name here'" sort of thing!

VictoriaBun Wed 20-May-20 08:12:31

I've called my dh another name, and I've been with him 20 years !

JazzyTheDog Wed 20-May-20 08:14:04

It’s kind of weird but then again I sometimes call one of the kids the dog’s name ... in my defence they both start with the same letter grin

CurlyEndive Wed 20-May-20 08:17:01

I called DH by my ex's name a few times in the early months. I wasn't pining after my ex or anything- it's just habit. We've been together for 23 years now so I'm glad he didn't ditch me for doing it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »