Talk

Advanced search

Would you feel on edge going to a hospital outpatient clinic at the moment? Shitting it

(46 Posts)
AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-May-20 22:09:02

I have to go tomorrow, it's quite urgent.

How would you feel about going?

mrsprefect Tue 19-May-20 22:10:14

I went to one two weeks ago. It was fine. Felt more normal than the supermarket

BuffaloCauliflower Tue 19-May-20 22:10:16

It’s absolutely fine. Outpatients is dead, you’ll see almost no one. Nothing to worry about.

formerbabe Tue 19-May-20 22:10:31

It wouldn't bother me

SquidwardTennisballs Tue 19-May-20 22:11:13

Would not bother me but then again I’ve just come out of hospital after 3 days for something non-covid related. They’ve very strict with hygiene and there’s a complete different entrance for covid patients so I wouldn’t be worried.

SunflowerSeedsForever Tue 19-May-20 22:11:25

No, I went a few weeks ago
Deserted, more staff that patients
Given a mask- asked to hand sanitize
Seats blocked off but I was the only 1 there
Went straight in

Amazing in 1 way but shocking in another that basic services have ground to a halt and cancer patients cant see a doctor or have any tests.

Breckenridged Tue 19-May-20 22:12:27

I had to take DS to A&E a few weeks ago (not Covid related). I was a little nervous but it was absolutely dead, staff were lovely as always, really nothing to be nervous about.

Glendaruel Tue 19-May-20 22:13:18

Have been a couple times for midwife appointment. Hospital is really quiet, staff were formed and chairs separated in waiting room, anti bad spray everywhere. Felt safer there than at supermarket

AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-May-20 22:14:08

Thank you, this makes me feel better. My last appointment was just before lockdown where I am, and logically it was probably a higher risk then I suppose.

HerbieHerr Tue 19-May-20 22:14:12

I’d be happy I was actually getting treatment!
Looking at waiting at least six months now for an appointment I need urgently.

AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-May-20 22:16:15

I am so worried about the actual reason I need to go, I think the worry about covid is just kind of blending in to be honest. Sure doesn't help!

happysleeper Tue 19-May-20 22:17:12

I'm taking my son to an outpatient appt tomorrow and tbh hadn't even given it a second though in regards to COVID, other than the fact I know we will be seen straight away and it'll be empty

AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-May-20 22:17:47

I’d be happy I was actually getting treatment!
Looking at waiting at least six months now for an appointment I need urgently.

Oh I am very grateful, very much.

Waiting six months would quite possible mean losing my eyesight so its high stakes stuff.

HeyHoLetsGoAgain Tue 19-May-20 22:18:27

Been to my local hospital twice in the last two days.
Yesterday for a scan, they met me at the back door to their unit, only came into contact with one person while I was in the unit. They clean down between patients.
Today I went for a blood test, normally wait an hour if I'm lucky, longer on a bad day, this afternoon I was the only patient there.
Like the OP I was nervous about going anywhere near the place, but thought that as lockdown lifts it will only get more dangerous.
AS an added bonus they have suspended parking charges!

Advice79 Tue 19-May-20 22:18:42

There are stricter guidelines in place that NHS has to follow around outpatient settings During this pandemic. It’s definitely a lot safer in outpatients than most other “essential” places x

Khione Tue 19-May-20 22:19:05

No problem

Unless you intend to cuddle with or lick the people in the hospital. Just wash your hands before you go, sanitize when you get out and wash hands when you get home. Don't touch your face.

You are more likely to get killed on the road travelling there and back than catch CV19 on a hospital appointment

PinkiOcelot Tue 19-May-20 22:20:07

You’ll be fine OP. It it’s anything like where I work, you’ll be in and out. It’s very quiet. Probably the best time to come.

Hope you’re ok tomorrow xx

AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-May-20 22:25:13

Unless you intend to cuddle with or lick the people in the hospital. Just wash your hands before you go, sanitize when you get out and wash hands when you get home. Don't touch your face.

No cuddling or licking, then I'd be hauled away by security and wouldn't get my treatment grin

BUT I will have to touch my face with tissues after various eye drops are put in, have to take glasses on and off, have to have medics fiddle with my eye/ face and use equipment shoved up touching it. Probably eyeball injections and an eye patch fitted to wear home. That's the bit that kind of makes me uneasy.

I'm just relieved my lovely ophthalmologist is still working, because their speciality has come out as being high-risk within healthcare for getting covid.

NameChangedToProtect1 Tue 19-May-20 22:29:44

Don't worry! I was in for a procedure today. Its very well organised, separation, hand cleansing and care delivery were first class.

Ginfordinner Tue 19-May-20 22:34:41

I had to go to the emergency eye clinic at the hospital about a month ago. I was extremely glad I could be seen. Waiting times were very short as they had cancelled all routine appointments, and there were very few patients around. The nurses were sitting around with very little to do. There was a wash basin at the entrance to wash hands.

The consultant who saw me wore a lot of PPE and was very professional.

Good luck with your appointment.

NameChangedToProtect1 Tue 19-May-20 22:35:12

The unit will be sterile, everyone going in will be supervised when cleaning their hands. Temperature is also checked and a questionnaire completed looking for any COVID symptoms. Best of luck, try not to worry.

SuperMumTum Tue 19-May-20 22:35:48

My 91 year old grandmother went in for a routine but important eye appointment a couple of weeks back. Similar to you she had injections in her eyeballs etc. She was in and out very quickly, my mum waiting in the car to drive her home. No issues.

LakieLady Tue 19-May-20 22:39:28

I'd be fine with it.

I'd be even more fine if I could have the MRI on my knee that I'm waiting for, so they can decide if I need to be referred to a surgeon. Next month it will be a year since I first went to the GP and 11 months since he referred me to the "musculo-skeletal service", which started a saga of communication cock-ups that went on for several months. I can only walk a few hundred yards at the moment.

autumnmum Tue 19-May-20 22:40:19

Been twice since all this started. It was absolutely fine. Never seen the hospital looking so clean and there's hardly anybody there so the level of service you get is amazing. Please don't worry it will be fine.

BuffaloCauliflower Tue 19-May-20 23:11:43

Sounds like more anxiety during an already anxious time for you. Do be kind with yourself smile

Hope it goes really well and is quick and less unpleasant than you’re imagining. Fingers crossed it’ll all work and you won’t have to keep worrying flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »