Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask fo your list of Super Women?

(95 Posts)
Stinkycatbreath Tue 19-May-20 18:43:06

I'm one of the leaders in guide group and I know I can Google this but I want the opinion of real people. The girls are 11-15 and are a mixture of White, Black and Asian British (this is relevant) As part of an activity I would like to introduce them to some real life female superheroes that kind of reflect them so a good variety women from different back grounds who have achieved great things. I don't even mind if they are dead or alive but inspirational is key. Im thinking scientists , speakers, political figures or actors /singers. Not women who have become famous for their looks (although if they are it doesn't matter)but for their intellect or bravery or their contribution to the world.....so no Kardashians. Thank you for your help.

EmpressLangClegInChair Tue 19-May-20 18:45:41

Hibo Wardere, who campaigns against FGM.

Dr Nicola Williams, leader of Fair Play for Women.

Stephanie Davies-Arai of Transgender Trend, working to save kids.

Lesbian rights campaigner Dr Julia Long.

JK Rowling.

Inspiralcarpetry Tue 19-May-20 19:01:38

Rosa Parks - American Civil Rights. Not through violence, but through persistence.
Florence Nightingale - Crimean War nurse
Mary Seacole - Crimean War nurse. Lesser known but just as inspirational.
Audrey Hepburn - Actress. I loved her beauty and style. She came from a wealthy semi aristocratic background, but suffered hardship through WW2 with hunger. She did a lot of philanthropic work for UNICEF in her later life.
NOT Mother Theresa. Heard she denied pain relief to suffering patients as to suffer was beautiful/what god wanted. Also possibly 'kept' donations? Happy to be corrected on this, but if true, that's simply vile.

PurpleBirch Tue 19-May-20 19:03:47

Malala Yousefzai

Marriedtoapenguin Tue 19-May-20 19:04:47

Rosa Parks
Pankhurst
Rhonda Rousey (opened the door for the women's fight scene to be treated as equal)
Florence Nightingale
Billie Holliday (if nothing else, just for Strange Fruit)
Michelle Yeoh (if Jackie Chan in his prime rates you as an equal)
Boudicca
The women of Bletchley Park (Joan Clarke et al)
Grace Hopper
Caroline Herschel
Marie Curie
Delia Derbyshire (Dr Who theme)
MC Lyte/Roxanne/Roxanne Shante (very old school rappers)
Diana Rigg (Avengers for being kick ass and game of thrones for gratituitous scene stealing)
Honor Blackman
Ginger Rogers.
Margaret Thatcher
Queens Elizabeth 1 & 2
Queen Victoria.

Just off the top of my head.

Reinga Tue 19-May-20 19:07:28

Irene Sendler. She was a polish nurse and social worker during WW2. She rescued 2500 jewish children from the ghettos and took them to safety, risking her own life to do so.

Sunshinesky1981 Tue 19-May-20 19:07:36

Irena Sendler . Amazing courage and Bravery smile

Sunshinesky1981 Tue 19-May-20 19:08:01

Ooh cross post ^

CockCarousel Tue 19-May-20 19:11:25

Germaine Greer
Magdalen Berns
MIA (singer)
Emily Pankhurst
Julie Bindel (most of the time grin

Reinga Tue 19-May-20 19:12:07

Great minds, @Sunshinesky1981 grin

Reinga Tue 19-May-20 19:14:19

Frida Kahlo. She overcame huge physical pain to create her art and she stayed true to herself, challenging social norms at the time.

Stinkycatbreath Tue 19-May-20 19:24:08

Some excellent suggestions people thank you I am furiously looking at biographies of people. Rosa Parks is one of my all time favourites!

Stinkycatbreath Tue 19-May-20 19:32:39

I am amazed at how many people can just rattle this off. Irena Sendler is going on as is JK Rowling and Malala Yousafzai.

zscaler Tue 19-May-20 19:46:23

Mary Anning - famous fossil collector who wasn’t recognised properly in her lifetime despite discoveries of novel species because she was a woman and uneducated. There is now a whole room full of the fossils she discovered in the Natural History Museum.

Jameela Jamil - started the iweigh campaign which is about celebrating women for their achievements rather than their bodies.

Queenunikitty Tue 19-May-20 19:48:24

Elizabeth 1.

Leostar Tue 19-May-20 19:51:47

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - we should all be feminists and other essays. She is incredible.

MilkshakeandFries Tue 19-May-20 19:53:27

Hedy Lamarr

Mary Phelps Jacob

Melitta Bentz

Leostar Tue 19-May-20 19:54:09

Beyonce used that quote in her groundbreaking Homecoming Coachella performance so your young ladies would probably really enjoy it.

Griefmonster Tue 19-May-20 20:01:54

Beyonce
Malala
Jo Cox
Simone Billes
Caroline Criado Perez
Maya Angelou

fuzzymoon Tue 19-May-20 20:04:58

Oprah Winfrey
Ellen Degeneres.

WiseChild Tue 19-May-20 20:05:54

Michelle Obama?

Definitely Malala smile

Greta Thunberg

fuzzymoon Tue 19-May-20 20:07:06

Helena Normanton. The first woman to become a silk.

noworklifebalance Tue 19-May-20 20:08:14

Rosalind Franklin - she originally discovered the double helix structure of DNA

Mary Anning

Elizabeth Blackwell - first female physician/doctor

noworklifebalance Tue 19-May-20 20:11:19

Sirimavo Bandaranaike - first female prime minister in the world (Sri Lanka)

Chista Tue 19-May-20 20:13:51

Indra Nooyi, Anjali Sud, Ruchi Sangvi, Jayaben Desai

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »