Talk

Advanced search

Is a year a long time to you?

(23 Posts)
Emlou07 Tue 19-May-20 17:08:21

Just that really.

The older I get (26), the shorter the years seem.

When I was growing up, a year seemed like forever! Where as now it feels like I blink and 6 months has gone by.

I asked my mum her opinion (she's 48) and she said the older she gets the faster time seems to go.

Is a year a long time for you or no time at all?

OP’s posts: |
Sparklesocks Tue 19-May-20 17:09:13

It seems both fast and slow at the same time, if that makes sense!

pussycatinboots Tue 19-May-20 17:17:30

I'm the same age as your mum.
She's right.
How on earth are we in the second half of May already??
I'm sure I only put the Christmas decs away a couple of weeks ago (in January) I'll be digging the out again soon!

nonevernotever Tue 19-May-20 17:17:52

It depends. An hour of working at home i is a very long time indeed at the moment. Years do seem quicker as you age though because you subconsciously measure it against the rest of your life iyswim, so if you're 2 a year is 50% of your life, whereas if you're 50 it's only 2%.

Yugi Tue 19-May-20 17:19:05

the year ahead is always so long but the year just past flew by.

SerenDippitty Tue 19-May-20 17:19:41

No not long at all. When you are say 10 a year is a much higher proportion of your life, whereas if you are 50 it's nothing. So a year seems longer the younger you are.

Oxfordnono12 Tue 19-May-20 17:21:10

I would agree. The older I get the shorter the year.

Purpleartichoke Tue 19-May-20 17:21:21

In my 40s and raising a child, I could swear it was Christmas 2018 two weeks ago.

UngainlyGiraffe Tue 19-May-20 17:23:04

I agree. Remember when 6 weeks summer holidays felt like a year by themselves? Now I keep thinking we are still in the first quarter of the year and am shocked that the weather is so nice.

Poptart4 Tue 19-May-20 17:24:10

I'm 36 and time definitely moves faster the older you get.

I remember thinking a year was forever, now I blink and a year is gone. Sad really, life is just flying by.

anothernamechangeagain Tue 19-May-20 17:24:37

It's because when you're older a year is a smaller percentage of your life so far so seems shorter.

Mmmmycorona Tue 19-May-20 17:25:42

The years seem to go faster as I get older, more so since I had dd.

mbosnz Tue 19-May-20 17:31:50

This one certainly is!

NaturalCleaningParticles Tue 19-May-20 17:37:33

Since I got into my 30s a year seems to fly by. It used to seem like a huge chunk of time and now it's barely anything.

Fluffybutter Tue 19-May-20 17:38:01

Still seems an age to me when I’m looking forward to something but when it comes to children growing up it goes really fast sad

Goostacean Tue 19-May-20 17:39:48

“The days are long but the years are short.” Never was a truer word spoken...

FraughtwithGin Tue 19-May-20 17:47:18

A year used to seem endless, but now I catch myself working out when I did something or something happened and it all seems to be 2 years ago, which is slightly worrying.
Where did the time go?

onesmalldog Tue 19-May-20 17:50:09

Yep, the older you get the faster time goes. A year feels like about 6 months to me now - mid 50s

AvoidingRealHumans Tue 19-May-20 17:51:30

If I was to think of May next year I would think its ages away but when things happen eg. Xmas, summer holidays.. I can never believe how quickly the seem to come around.

Time is definitely going faster as I'm getting older.

KaptenKrusty Tue 19-May-20 17:53:06

I read a out this recently - time goes slower as a child because you are experiencing things for the first Time - whereas that’s not the case the older you get

That’s why life in lockdown flys past - because you are not experiencing anything new or doing anything much outside your house

Standupthisisnotateaparty Tue 19-May-20 17:53:11

I’m a teacher and I forget years start in Jan as years for me are Sept to July. I also work in ‘how long until half term’. I find sept until Christmas seems to drag but after Christmas the time flies by.
Teacher years seem to move a lot quicker.
Iv been a teacher for 13 years! Being at uni seems like yesterday.

Gooseygoosey12345 Tue 19-May-20 17:57:56

Have to show this thread to DH! I was saying exactly the same about 1 year being a big proportion of your life if you're 10 but no so much if you're 100 so it'll seem shorter the older you get

Songsofexperience Wed 20-May-20 09:43:25

I think it depends entirely on what goes on in your life. The last 2 months have seen momentous changes for me on all fronts and so February feels like 3 years ago... Drama stretches time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »